Nov 02, 2006, 01:05 AM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Thread OP
Discussion

"HELP" P51 3 1/2" 3 blade, 4 blade spinners

Hi guys,

I'm working on a P51 Mustang with a 67 inch wingspan, and I need to find a 3 and 4 blade 3 1/2" spinner or maybe even a blank spinner and I can cut to fit for the prop, ( if there is such a thing).

The motor I am using is an Axi 4130-16 brushless with a Jeti 77 ESC and 2...... 11.1v 4000 lipo's.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2006, 01:59 AM
Here you go,

http://www.zingerpropeller.com/

http://www.zingerpropeller.com/Alum.htm

Trueturn
Dave Brown

Chris
Nov 02, 2006, 02:55 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Maybe a Tru-Turn would suit your needs...

3-Blade

4-Blade

HTH - and best regards - Paco
Nov 02, 2006, 05:09 AM
I have the 3 blade Vario Prop on my Corsair with an AXI 4130/16. It looks and work very well. The variable pitch is a great idea to get the Watts you want.
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...variable+pitch
Nov 02, 2006, 09:11 AM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Thread OP
Thanks for the info, this is great.

I never thought of using variable pitch props. How do they work? And can the hub be covered with a 3 1/2" cone? What size would you use to replace a 15x9 3blade or 4blade prop?

I just noticed where these replies came from, Spain, Switzerland and the USA, It's amazing how the internet changes the world into a small community.

Thanks again

Dave
Nov 02, 2006, 11:16 AM
Dave,

Check out www.eflightline.com they are the US rep for Vario Prop. I buy from them and I have many Vario props, they stock pretty much all of them. For your set up you need the 12C hub, 4 scale blades @ 15.5in and you need to specify the shaft dia. of your motor. Buy an extra 2 or 3 blades in case you tip it on its nose or whatever. The pitch can be adjusted on the bench while your hooked up to a Wattmeter so you can set it to max motor power then try it. As for the spinner the prop mounts like a normal prop and you will need a prop nut/spinner adapter unless the spinner has the screws on the outside like the larger spinners, doubt it for 3.5in though. Call Zinger and ask about that detail from the link I posted above. Their prices are very good and they will cut the 4 blade slots for $5 a slot. If you go with a Vario I suggest you do this your self because the blade roots are smaller than conventional props so the hole will be rather large and out of proportion.
I have some photos of my 5 blade set up for my Spitfire I'll post for you.

Chris
Nov 02, 2006, 11:22 AM

Vario 5 blade 12C hub and scale / speed blades 15.5in

This my set up for the KMP Spitfire, 73in wing @ ~14lbs AUW for 10S 3200mah and CC85HV esc.
I'll be calling Zinger myself for a spinner for this thing.
Chris

BTW thats an 8mm hole in the hub and the 4130 is 6mm I believe so ask for that dimension.
Nov 02, 2006, 11:56 AM
jrb
jrb
Though its not easy to see via the VarioProp website: http://www.ramoser.de/ , spinners are QED.

1st remember that the Vario Prop can be use in glow applications (collet is not needed); the hub/prop bolts up just like any prop. And, a spinner is secured like normal.

When using their collet adapter here’s the info that’s missing (is hard find): the collet is threaded internally (M4) and includes a “cone-ring” – circled in the photo below.

So you slip the cone ring over the collet/chuck, then spinner backplate, prop, etc.

When needed replace the long screw that goes through the nose of a spinner with an appropriate M4 screw/bolt.
Nov 02, 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure if you have any experience with these on glow but I have spoken with Chris Ramoser and he specifically told me not use them on glow because the power stroke vibrations will shear the blades off or lead to total failure. There are specific reinforced blades for glow applications and they only come on the 12C hub pictured above and the max dia. is 11in. The 15.5 in dia. Dave needs and the blade style means the 12C hub for 6mm shaft is the only choice or he can use a collet adapter for it from Vario for a 6mm shaft which then means you have to buy the 8mm hub and the adapter.

Dave if you decide to go this route just call Mike at Elightline and he can walk you through it.

Chris

http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html
Nov 03, 2006, 03:35 AM
Kawika
I have a C.B. Associates 3 1/2" spinner for a P-40 (new) package hasen't been opened. No cutouts for prop blades. If interested pm me. I'm using Dave Browns vortech 3 1/2" spinner on my Hanger 9 P-40. Not exactly scale but close enough for me. His spinners are cutout for 2 or 3 blades. VJ
Nov 03, 2006, 03:39 AM
Kawika
You might also look at master Airscrew for 3 blade props.
Nov 04, 2006, 02:12 PM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Thread OP
Hi,

Lots of info here, I've spent most of the morning going through the links.

I noticed there is a five blade prop, hhhmmmm this generates a new question.

If an application calls for a 16x8 2blade prop and you want a 3blade, you go to a 15x9 3blade, what do you use for a four or five blade prop?

Wish I knew and understood more about eletric motors (what the numbers mean) and the props you match them to, and what affect changing batt.. sizes and prop size have on performance.

Quess I'll keep reading.

Thanks for the info guys, looking forward to hearing more.

Dave
Nov 04, 2006, 03:03 PM
No problem.

The Vario presents a cool solution. You can bench test your set ups and dial in or out the pitch until your motor/batt/ESC are at max performance and keeping good/safe temperatures. Thata the little secret about these props and people here in the states are starting to catch on. The replacement blades are very affordable as well.

There is a mathematical way to calculate the correct dia. and pitch for your power system but it requires you have several bits of info to plug into formulas. If you like math and your interested I can direct you to that info. On the other hand you can go by recomended set ups from the mfg's of the motors/electronics and other guys who have experience with similar set ups and that will get you there, eventually. The best thing about this is you will learn by doing. Buy a couple of props around the suggested range your set up requires and try them.
The simple method is this;
"The conversion for a three and four bladed propeller is a simple tasked if you know what two bladed propeller you use on a given Engine. For example, on a three bladed propeller you would drop the diameter and keep the pitch. On a four bladed, you would drop the diameter and the pitch. For instance if you had a two bladed 24-10 propeller and you wanted a three bladed you would use a 22-10 and so on." Zinger Props

So thats for fixed pitch props not the Vario. You can buy the largest Vario and adjust the pitch.
When you get into five blades you need to break out the calculator. I'm using the 5 blade Vario for scale effect and so I'm counting on the adjustable pitch to set up the power system. The dia is the largest they make but if it came in 18in I would have bought that instead. I have bench tested my prop and its awesome.

What do the #'s mean on an electric motor? The KV rating is very important. Its the RPM per Volt. So 1200KV X 10V = 12000RPM Its also an indication of the motors torque potential. The higher the KV the lower the torque and vice versa. In an OUTRUNNER motor the torque is due in part to the motor spinning its case/magnets around its stators/windings. Its an inverted motor spinning its internals instead of the INRUNNER type which spins the shaft with a magnet but the can is stationary. Outrunners generate more torque from the diameter of the can turning, its a longer lever you could say. Its most common to use inrunners with gearboxes and outrunners alone because the gearbox generates the torque for the inrunner motor.

Take a look at some of the power systems threads and shop around online and just read spec's and suggested applications. After a while it will sink in what seems to go with what and then you have to try it.

Chris
Nov 05, 2006, 06:54 AM
jrb
jrb
The math for same power & pitch:
DiaN=D2/(2/N)^.2
3 -- 0.922108
4 -- 0.870551
5 -- 0.832553
6 -- 0.802742
Nov 05, 2006, 11:19 AM
I hate waiting for parts
I bought a 3" 4-blade spinner from Tru-Turn to fit the Zinger 12x6 4-blade prop on my WM P-51. I was going to get the spinner from Dave Brown (just-as-good quality for a cheaper price), but he doesn't make anything for a Mustang under 3.5". So you may want to check them out.

http://www.dbproducts.com/store/vortpara.htm

Quick Reply