Nov 01, 2006, 07:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD - www.KatanaMD.com

Hi guys,

Many of you know that something is “cooking” at PA. We start getting so many emails asking about our new project, so we decided to share with you some basic information, even before its formal release.

The Katana MD is one of our biggest projects to-date. No, this is not an enlarged version of our Katana Mini, it is truly a new design, which could be easily mistaken (if looking at some of the photos) to be a 35% aircraft.

As you may noticed this model took long to develop and for a good reason. To start with, we have worked out complete new construction techniques and invested hundreds of hours in the development and implementation of several patents in this intricate design. We then continued, tweaking and stretching the aerodynamic design and engineering of the model. The combination of the design itself and the innovative construction technology grants an outstanding model, which simply outdo other planes in the same category.

The Katana MD (MD by the way, stands for "Medium" size..) wing span is 46 inch, but wing span plays a small role in this design - this model is big! It features a huge wing area of 500 sq.in that push the wing loading down to 9.5oz/sq.ft!

There is so much to tell about the Katana MD, but the big difference really is that we designed this plane for advanced and professional pilots, not beginners. In the hands of a pro pilot this plane will perform miracles. If you feel you graduate the Katana Mini, this is the plane for you. I will not lie to you (to try and sell more) and tell you that the Katana MD is an excellent plane for every pilot. It is designed for advanced pilots. If you want to practice your IMAC sequence this plane is for you, its flight characteristics are very similar to a giant scale. And if you want to practice your 3D manouveres - simply slide the battery aft to the recommended CG and you’ve got it.

Solid elevators that will knock you down (put it this way, push full down elevator in inverted flight and you can take a nap). Stunning Knife Edges with close to zero coupling (I had only one click of rolling coupling with zero elevator, no mixing). Due to its lightweight, the wing area and the designing factors this plane is a serious floater. Harriers with a few clicks of throttle are handless. I flew it today with our 2200mAh 12c pack for 20 minutes!

The current prototype I’m flying weigh 940g (33.15oz) and we are still testing and finalizing our new motor – PA Thrust 30. More details about this motor and set up later on as it is not finalized yet.

Needless to say that the plane features LOOOONG list of carbon fiber parts in the hardware and mostly in the construction (you’ll be amazed when you see her guts). And to complete the look we produced a beautiful carbon fiber spinner with a CNC machined back plate to fit perfectly the KMD cowling. – you should see that!!!

The Katana MD is almost completely done for you in the factory and most modellers will set it up in one evening. It will be available in a few color schemes of course.

At this point, we cannot expose too many details. We still need to finalize some of the hardware and a few more details. We are doing every thing possible to safely speed up the release date and get into production, but we are not willing to compromise. At this stage we do not have a final release date or a price tag.

Will keep you posted with more details soon.

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
Last edited by Precision Aerob; May 14, 2009 at 02:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2006, 07:46 AM
Well that sounds promising. Love the scheme too!

Now to choose between this Katana or the 3DH one...
Nov 01, 2006, 07:59 AM
wow!! shaun that looks like an awesome FREESTYLE plane!! i'm sure the level of detail on this one must be amazing, each and each of your plane gets better and better, i'm sure we are going to see a lot of CF on this one
Nov 01, 2006, 08:19 AM
electric convert
Very nice. but like you said for the better pilot and considering im still taming the KM ill give it a pass. cant wait for more information and reviews from other people.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Joel
Nov 01, 2006, 09:15 AM
Ohh Snapp!
I like the included CF spinner!!
Nov 01, 2006, 10:02 AM
I work for ExtremeFlightRC
Looks fantastic, nicely done!
Nov 01, 2006, 12:14 PM

Trick or Treat? Looks like candy to me...

This plane fits into the Extra 300-E from Extremeflightrc category.
If the price tag is around that as well, I am going to have a real hard time to pick the right "treat"...

BoKo
Nov 01, 2006, 12:21 PM
3DHS Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair
Is that carbon fiber spinner 2 inch? Will it be available as a seperate part?
Nov 01, 2006, 12:45 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
Is that carbon fiber spinner 2 inch? Will it be available as a seperate part?
Yeah, I need one. And I can't justify paying ~$30 for a TruTurn aluminum spinner.
Nov 01, 2006, 12:51 PM
I work for ExtremeFlightRC
...and the Tru-Turn is really heavy.
Nov 01, 2006, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair
Ummm...I don't think so..
Nov 01, 2006, 02:09 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
Ummm...I don't think so..
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Quote: "And to complete the look we produced a beautiful carbon fiber spinner with a CNC machined back plate to fit perfectly the KMD cowling"

Well I guess that means others can buy them. Fine with me.
Nov 01, 2006, 04:12 PM
wizard of OZ
sweet wings shaun!
Nov 01, 2006, 04:41 PM
James - you're alive!
Nov 01, 2006, 05:11 PM
wizard of OZ
.......and kicking.

should be a freestlye beast for sure........

Quick Reply