Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 09, 2001, 10:13 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech

same endurance regardless of throttle setting

This puzzles me.. I fly the skyscooter WOT on 1650 NiMH .. 8 cell packs for 12 min. or so then bring it in. There is more mah left in the pack, but I know the motor and battery are getting way hot so I end the flight early.. Then, I fly at half throttle on a fresh pack, for the same 12min.. battery and motor seem just as hot, and battery pack takes the same mah in a charge.. can't figure it out. Motor is definetly running slower at reduced throttle, should be using less current.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2001, 10:16 PM
What type of speed controller?
A low rate controller will work like this.
Jul 09, 2001, 10:25 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
yeah.. figured it was the ESC.. it's the one that came w/ the plane.. HITEC SP1010.. frame rate controller???... so what happens to the excess current ?
Jul 10, 2001, 03:08 AM
Heat
Jul 10, 2001, 04:24 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
same heat after full throttle run as one at 1/2 throttle.. how can less current heat the same amount? doesn't the speed controller turn the motor on and off repeadedly? If it turns it off alot during half throttle operation.. I would think the battery would last longer.. Is the heat in the ESC?
Jul 10, 2001, 05:42 AM
Tic, take their word for it. frame rate throttles will do this,they are inefficient at partial throttle settings. I wont go into the technical details -I'm sure they are posted here somewhere. The real world of electronics is a little more complex than the simple verticle and horizontal lines shown in basic electronics books. If it was that simple then we would not need high rate controllers.
Regards
Bob

Jul 10, 2001, 07:39 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Yeah.. time to upgrade ESC... mo money