Jan 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
O stewardess...I speak jive
Based on what I am hearing here I may just pull out those 4600KV's and put in some 3900KV's. With that in mind, for what use would you use the larger KV motors for if not so much for the 262? Just curious I guess.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2007, 06:31 PM
Registerd Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Williams
for what use would you use the larger KV motors for if not so much for the 262? Just curious I guess.
Good Q Jake. 2S installations & Helicopters perhaps?

Nice job Taxdodger, I thought same as Bill - you glued the other one back together just for a joke
Took mine out again an hour ago (got a nice break in the wind at sunrise)
Again, no issues & 2 x12 minute flights.
I did find out also, that it is capable of a very respectable barrel-roll on rudder alone and in both LH & RH roll.
Make sure you do it high and fast as it consumes a bit of height when inverted but it tracks straight, comes out of the roll in the same direction it went into it.

Still amazes me this little model.

Phil
Jan 22, 2007, 07:52 PM
mark
cheers smokin and scratch.
i wish i could glue the 1st one back together but really only the fuselage is in any good shape....2 bits.yes i do like these colours.got it off stormbirds etc.the pilot was one of there test pilots..ended up with 200+ kills. smokin how did the plane feel after 8-10mins?still going strong?

mark
Jan 22, 2007, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Williams
Based on what I am hearing here I may just pull out those 4600KV's and put in some 3900KV's. With that in mind, for what use would you use the larger KV motors for if not so much for the 262? Just curious I guess.

You can use them for other EDF applications. Just don't use any twins, unless you get a 3000mAh 20C batt.

chewy
Jan 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
Registerd Beaver
Yep, still going strong alright.
I flew about 3 mins of the flights at WOT, 6 mins of the flight at ~3/4 throttle & the rest at varying power levels below 55%
I only landed because I'm still getting aquainted to the flying style of maintaining airspeed continuously. One thing I don't want is a BEC cut out and having nowhere to go.
I find 12 mins is tons of time, if you start looking around at other things while flying - it's time to land.
I have an 2150 3s 20C Flightpower pack and the most I've charged back into it was ~1800 ma/hr. That was about the 3rd flight (8 mins) and I used a lot of WOT.
I've now learnt to manage throttle better.

Another thing I found today was powering into a turn definitely uses the pitch-up to keep the nose level.
I can keep it dead level in flat figure 8's just by throttle management.
And I'm no fancy-pants pilot - the plane does the work for you.

Phil
Jan 22, 2007, 08:51 PM
mark
phill,how long is your glide path to land?sorry for all the qestions just trying to get a mental pic of what i should do
mark
Jan 22, 2007, 09:30 PM
Registerd Beaver
No probs at all.
**Assuming 0kt wind**
My plane is 888g and CG=67mm
Lets see, I turn into the final about 80 metres away, above the trees at about 30m high (trees are 16m high).
Just before I cross the tree line point I kill the throttle and let it glide in of it's own accord (no down elev or speed will increase v. quick) and it will land in front of me nearly every time, certainly within 15m unless I hold it up or flare too much.

So therefore I'd say the approach to touchdown from 30m high is ~70metres.
In my minds eye that is ~30 degrees approach angle (about 2 o'clock on a clock face)
A small flare at about 40cm high returns a 3 point landing.
Remember that at this (landing) speed elevator response is reduced.
Too much flare & it will skip (bad thing, control surfaces are of little use) & damage the front U/C.
But I have found that even on the maiden flight, the final seconds to touchdown are nice & straight and you can get that nice 'greased in' angle.
It can seem like she is coming in very fast, but hold your nerve, guide her in & it does lose speed quickly after touchdown.
It's a trike U/C so it does what it's told even at high speed.
Landing is one of the rushes I get from flying this plane with the U/C.

Hope that paints a picture for you.

Phil
Jan 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
mark
thanks phill,
now ive just got to do it for real
mark
Jan 22, 2007, 09:48 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
Phil
What ESCs are you using?
Merlin
Jan 22, 2007, 10:56 PM
Registerd Beaver
Hi John,

ESC's
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2168

Programmer
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2169

Easy to program with the card. I programmed each ESC before connecting to the 'Y' lead from the throttle channel on the Rx. and before the little mod below.

I also used a UBEC switchmode external BEC.
I disabled the ESC BEC's by removing the red wire from each ESC's servo plug.
As I only have 4x servo's (all 8.4g micro's) I could have left one ESC BEC in place but I went for the insurance.

hth - Phil
Jan 22, 2007, 11:02 PM
I discovered something of interest. I purchased my inrunners from my local hobby shop, because they recommended the motors to use for my 262. Now the motors are blue, but on the package it says GWBLM005A. Just to be clear, are only the 4600KV's blue? If that is the case, I may have been sold the wrong motors.
Jan 23, 2007, 01:04 AM
Hi Jake,

These inrunners can be identified by a tiny plastic tube, the color of it. Here is the link of GWBLM005 series,
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/motor/gwblm005.htm
The 3900kv one comes with a tiny green tube on its rear end.

Chen
Jan 23, 2007, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Jake,

These inrunners can be identified by a tiny plastic tube, the color of it. Here is the link of GWBLM005 series,
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/motor/gwblm005.htm
The 3900kv one comes with a tiny green tube on its rear end.

Chen
So it is all based on the color of the shrink tubing that is holding the leads together in the rear. I thought when they were talking color it was refering to the round plates on the front and back of the motor that are pressed on to seal the motor. Since the front of the motor is blue, I figuered it was the 4600KV motor. I checked the back of my motors and they have green shrink tubing, so I guess I did get the right motors(3900KV). That clears everything up. Eventually Mongo get it Right!!!

For future reference I would change the color of the plates for each motor rather than just leaving it up to the color of the shrink tubing. It is not as obvious for people who are denser than a desert oak like myslef. Thanks for helping me figure this grand enigma out Chen.
Jan 23, 2007, 08:45 AM
mark
i weighed mine tonight at work , came in at 950grams.i did use more cf rod.hope this doesn't do to much to the plane.has any one got there's came in around this weight?

mark
Jan 23, 2007, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxdodger
i weighed mine tonight at work , came in at 950grams.i did use more cf rod.hope this doesn't do to much to the plane.has any one got there's came in around this weight?

mark
I'm at around 967grams or 34-1/2 oz AUW with Robart dressed landing gear and 3s-2100 TP PL.

Bill

Quick Reply