Oct 29, 2006, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

PD Parasol build (RCM plan # 413)

I decided a month ago to put my new bandsaw and sander combo to use and scratchbuild a model. I reviewed some plans I got last winter from the RCM plan service and decided on the PD Parasol (plan # 413) as it looks like a reasonable lightweight model with a lot of sticks in it.

There will be a few mods as I go along and since it will be "electrified", a hatch had to be planned to access the battery packs. This plan came out in 1969....wow, things have changed a bit since the days of "pin these parts down securely and let the glue dry overnight" ....hello..! Like hold this piece in place and hit her with the c/a, and hand me the next piece..!

So, after stripping some balsa sheets into a pile of 3/16" square sticks it was time to start the fuselage....

here are some pics...

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2006, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
..next step was to install the top formers and stringers and from previous experience, I knew that the stringers should be basswood for strength and a better look under the covering...

Bill
Oct 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
Thread OP

oops..!

I got ahead of myself with the pics as I see a "front hatch" in that above picture...well, several hours were evaporated before that hatch became a reality....not that difficult to do once the plan was formulated..!
After the firewall was in place and the front cowl former was glued in, it was a matter of cutting two more semi circle formers, positioning them into place and wrapping a balsa cover over them all the while making sure they did not become permanently glued to the fuselage..!

Bill
Oct 29, 2006, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Next step was to get some wheels under this thing and for this a few lengths of 3/32" music wire (why is it called that?) were bent after a template was made from measurements garnered from the plan.....the plan left out a nice drawing of the gear..!
Some soldering was involved to get the studiness required...(although I'm hoping this bird will be a gentle landing machine).

I'm using "J" bolts to attach the undercarriage.

Bill
Oct 29, 2006, 09:20 PM
Thread OP

oops again..!

I see a motor in that picture above..!

Yup, decided to try an AXI 2808/20 and mounted it on an Espirit mount and will cover the sides later with some "cheeks" to improve the look..

Next thing was to install the outer rods for the servo pushrods and to get the servo rails mounted at a height that would allow a "cockpit" to be installed above the servos..since "someone" has to pilot this rig..

After the rails were set, the removable cockpit was built..

Bill
Oct 29, 2006, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
..tail feathers were built, hinged, and pinned in place to see how they looked..

Bill
Oct 29, 2006, 09:34 PM
Thread OP
Today I cut the ribs for the wing....the span is 60" but since that would be a tight fit behind the seat of my Sonoma truck, I'm removing a bay from each half which will bring the span down to 54 inches.

This was the first time I used double sided tape to stick 17 pieces of balsa together to run them through the bandsaw and sander...it went fairly well.

This brings the thread up to date.....it will likely be awhile before the next entry..!

Bill
Oct 30, 2006, 12:57 PM
KrasherJack
Wow Bill,
Some great work there, hope to see it flying soon..
Oct 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jack, but these labors of love take time to come together, so it will be maidened well AFTER the coming snows have all but disappeared.....wow, poetic eh..!

I'm planning on about FIVE builds this Fall/Winter, this is number one..

Bill
Nov 03, 2006, 09:40 PM
Thread OP

can't fly on "half a wing"...

...got 1/2 the wing nearly finished, took one bay out, and made the tip pieces from 1/4 balsa then laminated each side of them with 1/16" balsa to strengthen the joint. After sanding to shape, the tip seems both strong and lightweight.

Bill
Nov 05, 2006, 12:06 AM
Bill,

Wow, that sure brings back memories. I built one of those in 1972, powered with an OS .19. I think you will really enjoy it.

Dick
Nov 05, 2006, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
Great to hear that Dick, it is an interesting build....I'm a bit disappointed in the plans as there are a number of details left out, however it's coming together. Should have the wing completed in another day. Due to my removable hatch, the cabane struts will have to be reworked, so that will be the next challange.

Bill
Nov 10, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thread OP

wing joining today..!

..always nice to see TWO halves make a WHOLE ...I hope down the road this WHOLE wing doesn't make a HOLE in the ground..!

Bill
Nov 10, 2006, 10:16 PM
Senile Member
Holly Molly, but that is nice.

Larry
Nov 10, 2006, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Larry, ....starting to get interesting as the next step involves the support struts (cabane struts) for the wing, and due to the removable front hatch they will have to be redesigned!
If your look at the plan in post #1, the front on view, you see that the struts coming up both sides BEND INWARD and narrow as they reach the wing...well if you do this you cannot get the hatch removed for pack replacement.....so they will have to NOT bend in (at least as much) as they rise up. First off, is to get some suitable alumimum strips and started fabricating.

Another challenge..

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT; Nov 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply