Oct 28, 2006, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building the 52" Super Cub.

Got started building the 1/8 scale Super Cub today! Thought I'd go about it a little differently this time, and instead of starting from the top with the wing and work my way down, I'd start at the bottom and work up!

Anyhow, it all started with tha landing gear assembly and the Whittaker tandem wheel arrangement. The main gear was bent to shape using the patterns on the plans. The front strut assembly was soldered together on a hot plate, the the front and rear rear struts were built up and soldered together on a simple jig.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2006, 09:05 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Pat, have you seen this PA-18 drawing site?

http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/main.aspx

It is rather overwhelming, but very cool....
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Oct 28, 2006, 09:07 PM
Thread OP

Fabricating the Whittaker Tandem Wheel Assembly

The tandem wheel carridge was made up from brass tube and .060 braze rod. The frames were bent around a 3/4" dia aluminum dowel, then the assembly was jigged up and soldered together. Finally, the bungee rings were made up from .032 brass wire and soldered in place.
Oct 28, 2006, 09:13 PM
Thread OP

Making Up the Pivot Bushings and Wheel Keepers

The center pivot bushings and wheel keepers are made up from 1/4" dia. nylon prop bushings for free flight models. The pivot bushings needed only minor modification, but the wheel keepers needed some serious reworking. The foam wheels needed a double brass bushing to size the 1/8" hole down to fit the 1/16 axles.

And with that, the landing gear is ready to paint. Now it's time to start cutting wood!

PAT
Oct 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
Pro Hoarder
Hi pat, now thats a strang gear set up..Kinda cool..I have a fullsize cub project I am working so I am starting to teach myself cub info...Do you have any pics of the full size....and have you seen this one before
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 29, 2006, 10:07 AM
Same Day Delivery
Now thats some different landing gear! I'm going to do mine with the standard configuration, Bush Plane style.

Gonna start cutting wood, Cant wait to see more!!!
Oct 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Turbo, I found a photo of the Whittaker gear in a book many years ago. Don't remember for sure, but I think it was "The Piper Cub Story" by Jim Triggs. There were only a couple of pictures, and a caption stating that the gear was used for landing on sand and gravel bars. Unfortunately, the book was borrowed and returned, so I don't have any photos of the full scale set up here.
I have seen photos of the Wagner Twin, in fact, those two photos were in the book too.

PAT
Oct 30, 2006, 08:19 AM
Thread OP

Making the Bows

Construction began by making up the wingtip, rudder and elevator outlines. Then it was on to framing the tail section. At this point they're sanded and hinged, so from here, it's on to the big pieces.

PAT
Oct 30, 2006, 10:55 AM
What kind of hinges are those? They are considerably smaller than the ones I have used before.

Thanks.

Bill
Oct 30, 2006, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Bill, To hinge these "small" models I've been cutting 5/32" wide strips of thin Cya hinge 1/2" long. They're glued in place with Pacer Canopy 560, after the parts are covered.

PAT
Oct 31, 2006, 09:11 AM
Thread OP

Getting Started on the Wing

The spars and hard points were laid out first, then the ribs were added. The aileron/ flap spar went in next, and when everything was in place, each joint was glued with a drop of thin Cya.
Next, the leading and trailing edges were glued in place, followed by the flap hinge spar and ribs.
Oct 31, 2006, 09:16 AM
Thread OP

Moving Outward

The tip bow was trimmed and glued in place next. The bottom of the bow was tapred on it's bottom edge to lay flat on the building board from the last rib inward, to eliminate the "preloading" caused by forcing the untapered bow down onto the trailing edge. Once the bow was on place, the aileron assembly was built in place on the wing panel.

The next step will be to remove the panel from the building board, shape it up, then get the other side built.

PAT
Oct 31, 2006, 10:58 AM
Wow. I built the HL supercub. I like the way the wing on this one all locks into place. Is this kit going to be one of the three that gets released next summer along with the Dragon Rapide?
Oct 31, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
WM, This one is going out as a short kit under the Pat's Custom Models label, and will be available from myself, Monzano Laserworks, or the Callie Graphics E-Bay store -- once the p-type is finished and all noodled out.

PAT
Oct 31, 2006, 10:24 PM
Pat, I just returned from a 2-week absence, and you are already building! That PA-18 is looking great! I think I'll try to build the tandem gear or some semblance thereof, and also a standard "Alaska Bush Wheel" setup, and compare weights and how they perform in rough field conditions.

I reallly like the way this one is going together so far.

Will be watching------.

AmpAce

Quick Reply