Jan 24, 2008, 08:36 PM
I did, it was the security set, just crappy made.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2008, 12:13 AM
Fly Backwards
I got the security bit from True Value (around $2) I have opened 2 cases so far without any problem. I chucked the bit in my lathe and turned down the first 1/4" of the hex so it will fit down the deep holes. I chuck it in my cordless drill (powered by a123 cells of course) and take the screws out in no time.

The trick to using the security bit is press it hard into the screw and turn slowly at first until the screw breaks loose. If you let it pop out of the screw it will quickly round the end of the bit. If that happens just touch the bit to a grinder to remove the rounded tip.
Feb 07, 2008, 09:11 PM
Went to lowes and of course a ton of torx sets none of which were security so I'm about to get the dremel going.
Feb 08, 2008, 11:43 AM
Molon labe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Went to lowes and of course a ton of torx sets none of which were security so I'm about to get the dremel going.
Here is where I got mine:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial
Feb 08, 2008, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Scholefield
Thanks!

It was actually very easy with the dremel. I made most of the bits into flatheads and then the two recessed ones got cut from the side.

While I was prying out the 10 batteries from the case I, using my screwdriver, shorted two of the balance leads on one side. It sparked a tiny bit and the screw driver head heated up. It was only shorted for a fraction of a second. I assume no damage to the cell(s), but does anybody know how long a cell like this would have to short before it would be potentially screwed in terms of capacity/life, etc.?
Feb 08, 2008, 12:27 PM
Southern Pride
Most likely they will be fine.
How much damage was done is anyones guess , I am sure it did not help them any but I have shorted a 5S long enough to melt a piece of copper braid into and the pack is still doing fine.

Charles
Aug 25, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hey can you guys tell me how much AC current is drawn from the Dewalt 36 volt charger when charging a 36 volt A123 battery. I am trying to figure how many Dewalt 36 volt batteries with the A123 cells I can change at one time off the same circuit. Thanks in advance.
Aug 25, 2008, 07:16 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron3262
Hey can you guys tell me how much AC current is drawn from the Dewalt 36 volt charger when charging a 36 volt A123 battery. I am trying to figure how many Dewalt 36 volt batteries with the A123 cells I can change at one time off the same circuit. Thanks in advance.
Check the labels on the charger and see what output it is rated at.
Last edited by Rickochet; Aug 25, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Aug 25, 2008, 07:23 PM
36v x 2.3A x 1h = 82.8w. Let's say 80% of effiency then 103.5W is my guess.
Aug 25, 2008, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Check the labels on the charger and see what output it is rated at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
36v x 2.3A x 1h = 82.8w. Let's say 80% of effiency then 103.5W is my guess.

Thanks for the replies but I am not looking for the output current. I am looking for the input current at 120VAC. If I had one I would look at the label but the battery and a charger are too expensive just to find out the current required at 120VAC. This is for a project I've been working on, thanks in advance for your help.
Aug 25, 2008, 10:51 PM
For 100w of power, the current for 120v ac is close to .8A
Last edited by tai626; Aug 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
Jan 02, 2015, 04:45 PM

battery case's

I need all the old disassembled cases that yall dont need. The part on top that locks the batteries in place wears quickly and the batteries stop working in the tools. If yall are just taking the cases apart for the batteies inside I can use the cases. Please email me at rgood2b@gmail if you have any Thanks Robert.
Jan 02, 2015, 05:17 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood2b
I need all the old disassembled cases that yall dont need. The part on top that locks the batteries in place wears quickly and the batteries stop working in the tools. If yall are just taking the cases apart for the batteies inside I can use the cases. Please email me at rgood2b@gmail if you have any Thanks Robert.
I don't think Dewalt has used the A123 batteries for many years which is why people were harvesting the batteries. Perhaps some packrats still have the case tops.
Apr 12, 2015, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood2b
Have a couple if your interested
Apr 15, 2015, 02:15 PM
jrb
jrb
Found two 10S & an 8.