Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 23, 2006, 08:52 PM
Plays with Toys
Data

Microdan 2505 Speed 250W+, 33grams

Hi All,

while this unit has been around for a while in slightly different versions, the following is some testing just done on the new version and some information about it.

I am running a second batch of tests today on another motor from my stock to confirm the results below.

If you have one of these feel free to add what you found until Dr Kiwi gets some more tests run on one of these

The motor currently comes with a firwall type mount but it will be available with a Speed 400 type mount in the next few weeks as per the photo below.

More DATA in a few hours.

Reagards

Tim

Currently Available from

Kitehouse Australia kitehouse@westvic.com.au
E-Foamies USA www.e-foamies.com
Last edited by tim_mellor; Nov 13, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2006, 09:31 PM
www.gobrushless.com
Tim
i wonder how a carbon fiber shaft would hold up on one of these.
you want to give it a go? saves 3g
dan
Oct 23, 2006, 10:16 PM
Plays with Toys
If you make it I will abuse it

I am also running a 3mm collet type Hyperion prop adaptor on the test motor BTW. The prop saver at over 20000 RPM doesn't appeal. It should work fine on the carbon shaft. I have tried a prop adaptor on the 3D version with the carbon shaft and it grips fine. I am still using the prop saver on this one on my Radix at 2S.

Tim

Off to wire up motor 2 and run some numbers, back soon
Oct 24, 2006, 02:39 AM
Permanently Banned
How about a wind in between this one and the normal 2505?

Id like to be able to spin a 7" to 8" prop on 3S in the 15 to 20 amp range?

It would work great on Hydros etc.

Larry
Oct 24, 2006, 04:25 AM
Plays with Toys
Hi Larry,

I am going to order some low pitch carbon props (free flight power) to try for the Hydros with a good 8-900 2S might fill the bill. I want to build a 4Q so iwant to do some testing in this area some of the others I will be getting are 6.5x3, 7x2.8, 7x3.5, 8x3.5. The problem at the minute is the GWS props are rubbish IMHO for higher speeds but we should anti up and spend a little more for good props. The price will be around $8 AUD or $5.50 USD/prop rather than the GWS price. I also need some 20C cells to handle the current.

Reports on these in a week or so.

Tim
Oct 24, 2006, 04:50 AM
Plays with Toys
Well I pulled another of these gems out of stock to play with on the bench just to confirm some initial testing. I will order some additional props to play with as per the last post and add them to the chart as available.

BTW Any grammer or spelling mistakes I apologise for in advance it was 33 degrees C in the loft while I was running these tests today. I am now 4 beers up and going for a 5th

The motor performed faultlessly and replecated the tests of yesterday, just a slightly better voltage from the LiPo due to the heat I suspect.

Regards

Tim
Last edited by tim_mellor; Oct 24, 2006 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Duoh !! forgot to add chart
Oct 24, 2006, 09:11 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mellor
If you make it I will abuse it

I am also running a 3mm collet type Hyperion prop adaptor on the test motor BTW. The prop saver at over 20000 RPM doesn't appeal. It should work fine on the carbon shaft. I have tried a prop adaptor on the 3D version with the carbon shaft and it grips fine. I am still using the prop saver on this one on my Radix at 2S.

Tim

Off to wire up motor 2 and run some numbers, back soon
For the life of me, I can not figure out an advantage to a CF shaft. Seems like it just could crud up the bearings if something goes awry. Some care to enlighten me?
Oct 24, 2006, 09:23 AM
To save weight. That's why its used on the 2505-3D motor. Not sure if the saved weight is necessary for a speed application though.

But if something does goes awry, MicroDAN has a great repair policy.

Tim
e-foamies.com
Oct 24, 2006, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3215
How about a wind in between this one and the normal 2505?

Id like to be able to spin a 7" to 8" prop on 3S in the 15 to 20 amp range?

It would work great on Hydros etc.

Larry
Mike Connally and Ernest are running this motor with a 6" - 7" prop on their hydros on 2-cells with great results. You can run a larger 2S pack at the same weight as a 3-cell pack and have the same flight time, and the larger 2S pack usually holds its voltage better under load.

The 2505-3D motor will turn a 9" prop at 10 amps and we don't recommend going much over 10 amps on the 3D motor. So why can the SPEED motor run at ~25 amps? Because its wound different, and its designed for speed applications where it gets good cooling. We would have to put more turns on the motor to get it to swing a 8" prop instead of a 5" prop, which means thinner wire, which means we can't push it as hard. Add this to an application where it doesn't get as much cooling, and the motor will probably burn up.

If you are looking for a good hydro motor, give it a shot on 2S. You will be plesently suprised!

Tim
Oct 24, 2006, 12:48 PM
Tim (TX) - I'm still totally confused about the motors Tim (the Aussie) is testing - they simply can't be the same as the one I have, since they are drawing way more amps than mine did. I know he's upside down, downunder, and the sun moves from right to left, not left to right, and water goes t'other way down the sink - but electrons should not be affected!
Oct 24, 2006, 12:55 PM
www.gobrushless.com
Phil
i'm with you and totally confused.
Dan
Oct 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
Plays with Toys
Hi Phil,

when I get into the shop I will count some turns on the motors I tested and check the windings but from what I saw they looked like delta terminated 8 or 9 turns which is Dans specification from memory. Just a thoght too do you have a gutsy 3SLiPo to try your motor on rather than your power supply?

When I ran the numbers for the 4.75x4.75 into an efficiency calc. the motor is runnings at around 76% at duty point. Dans figures for the 4.75x4.25 run to a little over 80% so it is not a case of badly overworking the motor with these results.

regards

Tim
Oct 24, 2006, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mellor
Hi Phil,

Just a thoght too do you have a gutsy 3SLiPo to try your motor on rather than your power supply?
Best I could do right now is a 3s2p Tanic 3100 (two 12C-15C 1550's) - I doubt they'd cut it for 30A+. My Power Supply does 20A-25A @ 3s, and it would let me know if the motor wanted more (the voltage would plummet - and on my tests with the Speed motor it didn't look as if that was happening).
Oct 24, 2006, 04:48 PM
www.gobrushless.com
Tim
8 turns DLRK terminated delta
Dan
Oct 24, 2006, 07:29 PM
Plays with Toys
Roger Roger

8 turns/pole DLRK (as far as I could check without doing crosseyed)
terminated delta
12 poles for those interested
14 Magnets

Tim

Quick Reply