Aug 27, 2002, 06:03 PM
Thread OP

Du-Bro Mini E/Z: How to make them rotate freely?

Lately I've been using the Du-Bro Mini E/Z connectors for easy adjusting of my controls. While the adjustability is nice, they seem to fit a little too tight in the servo arm.

Since the servo arm has angular movement instead of linear, it would be nice if the connectors would rotate with respect to the arm but stay in the same angular position relative to the controlled surface. Since the connectors don't rotate well, the control rod must flex or the servo must work harder when turning.

Does anyone have any good ideas for making them fit a little looser in the arm without falling out? The connectors I have just snap into the arm; they don't have the retainer.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2002, 06:56 PM

Re: Du-Bro Mini E/Z: How to make them rotate freely?

Quote:
Originally posted by tom_yellowblue
Does anyone have any good ideas for making them fit a little looser in the arm without falling out? The connectors I have just snap into the arm; they don't have the retainer.
I like the concept of the Du-Bro Mini EX connectors and I use them. I had to take a drill and open up the hole in my servo arm to accept the base of the connector. When I did that it rotated freely, but it also came out of the hole. The instructions talk about a light "peening" on the bottom of the connector to fasten the connector to the arm.

I did that, as a small amount of the small shaft was sticking up. Since the whole thing is made of aluminum it peened (mushroomed) sort of easily. When I peened it in place, it rotated and the mushroom holds in the horn.

I don't know if it will always hold, so I keep my fingers crossed. I would much prefer some sort of more positive fastening system. I think there was an earlier model that had a different (and perpaps better) fastening system. I've never seen it for sale.
Aug 27, 2002, 07:07 PM
Zak
Zak
Serial plane killer
I too have installed these connectors (in my Tiger Moth).

They flex the pushrods and i don't like how they
attach to the servo arm. Good idea, but bad design (IMHO).

Is there anything else on the market lite enough for park flyers ?
Aug 27, 2002, 07:33 PM
MP jet has micro screw lock connectors. They use those push on disks to hold them to the servo. Because they are held on by the disks you can drill out the holes in your servo's and they still won't fall off. The down side is the little disks are terrible to press on the shaft. Anyone know of a good trick to get them on without them flying off and getting lost?

I think I bought them at Hobby Lobby.
Aug 27, 2002, 07:58 PM
I just bought several extra sets of the Du-Bro Mini E/Z connectors because I heard they were changing to a different style with different fasteners. The current style has worked just fine for me, and I would prefer that they not change. Mine spin freely enough so as not to bind up, but have never come off despite some pretty strong jolts. A key factor is the thickness of the servo arms. If you look closely at the connector, there is a tiny shaft with a bump on the end. If the servo arms are too thick, the bump on the end of the connector can't penetrate all the way through to the other side, which may lead to some binding. With thin servo arms, that hasn't been a problem for me. You'd be better off sanding down the servo arms to a slightly thinner profile than drilling out the holes.
Aug 27, 2002, 11:48 PM

What Dave said...

I experienced the same problem with the E/Z's. And like Dave mentioned, I found that slighty sanding the servo arm worked to free them up the best without risking failure by opening the hole up. And, like Dave said, opening the hole really doesn't buy you much because of the "pointy" part of the stem interfereing with the bottom surface of the servo arm. A little light oil helps too. That being said, I can't blame them for my most recent "unplanned landings" ; so far I haven't had any failures. Best of all, no more V-bends gone wrong, and I couldn't imagine trying that on something like my stick-FD where the control rods are buried in a styro fuse:O

Funny thing is, they bind up on the most common servo arms, like on my GWS pico stuff and my Hitec "baby blues". Ya woulda thunk they (Du-Bro) woulda checked this out!? Not that I'm slamming Du-Bro, I really like all the neat stuff they make...

Hope this helps!

Bombs away

P.S. Du-Bro makes some really nice foam wheels if you want to give your favorite GWS bird a more scale look...
Last edited by WrongwayFeldman; Aug 27, 2002 at 11:55 PM.
Aug 28, 2002, 05:49 AM
I've used several sets of the Du-Bro Mini E/Z's and had the same problems. Plus, I had one actually pull out of the servo arm in flight (not good).

While at Hobby Lobby a couple of months ago I found the MP Jet connectors with the push-on retaining disks. These rotate well and will NOT pull loose. An added bonus is that, when used with music wire from the LHS, they are MUCH cheaper than the complete Du-Bro Mini pushrod system.

John
Aug 28, 2002, 06:36 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Oh crud, I just installed a set in a new plane last night. When I put the connectors into the servo arms I did wonder if they would bind. What the heck, that's why they call it a test flight.

Crash
Aug 28, 2002, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone. So far I've only used them on the GWS pico servo arms. I can rotate the connectors when they're in the arms, but they don't rotate freely (like a simple z-bend wire would). The "little bump" goes all the way through the arm, but it may be tight enough to be causing all of the friction. I'll try thinning the arm a bit. If that doesn't work, I'll go the hole-enlargement and peening route.
Aug 28, 2002, 11:05 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
I've got them in use on 6 or 7 of my planes, all on HS-55's. I've never done any mods to them, I just push them into the arm hole using some pliers. I was apprehensive about them pulling out of the arm at 1st, but I've got so many flights on them now that I don't worry about it.

The design has indeed changed though. The new design has a small plastic disk that pushes on the end of the shaft to hold it in place. The biggest problem with the new design is the shaft is much larger, it fits in the big HS-55 arms instead of the smaller ones.

These connectors make adjustments so incredibly easy that I will never set a plane up without them again!
Aug 28, 2002, 11:12 AM
There are TWO different type of Du-Bro Mini E/Z connectors. The first type are short and DO NOT have the black plastic keepers. The new type has a longer shaft and black plastic keepers. Someone posted pic of this about about a month ago. You probably got a hold the orginal ones. The new ones work GREAT.

This is the thread with the pics ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=DuBro+mini

Tom
Aug 28, 2002, 01:27 PM
I must have some new style mini-EZ connectors - mine have the little black 'rings' to put on the bottom.
Aug 28, 2002, 05:02 PM
MK
MK
RonD, for the MP Jet ones, I use a small brass tube to push the star lock washers (for lack of a better term) on to the stem. Don't push it all the way up to allow for rotation.

Quick Reply