Oct 21, 2006, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Yippee!

Maiden flight G P ElectriFly F4U-1A Corsair

Flew my new Corsair today for the first time! This thing scoots! I didn't use the stock motor instead I installed the GWS GWBLM002 along with a 25 amp GWS ESC and a tenergy 11.1 800 mah lipo battery. These motors are great you can get motor and ESC for 45 bucks total. Any way back to the plane flight, todays conditions were 12 MPH winds with 22 MPH Gust and this plane wasn't phased a bit by the wind.
At first I was a bit scared to fly it due to the wind conditions as lite as the plane is so I first brought out the old trusty E-Flite Jug. After flying this one ok it was time for the Corsair. With the motor setup in it this thing, it took off like a rocket and was up high in the sky in a few seconds. I was doing inverted loops nice soft loops nice rolls and some more inverted flight. all I can say is this thing ROCKS! Sorry E-Flite but I now have a new favorite war bird. Not bad for a 33.00 dollar plane! P.S. it looks really cool too LOL
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2006, 09:53 PM
How did the alieron linkage go on yours? I wound up with a servo in each wing and it still leaves a bit to be desired. I installed a Typhoon micro-6/20 brushless that has been gathering dust for a couple of years.
Oct 22, 2006, 12:59 AM
Thread OP
It worked out good it was a little tuff trying to get both wires thru the hole w/ my big fingers but it worked good. The wires now come preinstalled for the Ailerons. I had read links on it where the holes were plugged when they tried to push the control wires through, so I guess they listened and fixed the problem.
Oct 22, 2006, 09:23 AM
Yep. The pushrods are factory installed. The alierons were really giving the HS-55 a workout. I think it was a combination of the severe angle of the pushrods to the connector and the stiffness of the alieron "hinges". I didn't see that poor servo lasting long and I wasn't getting much throw at all either.
Oct 22, 2006, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
Yep. The pushrods are factory installed. The alierons were really giving the HS-55 a workout. I think it was a combination of the severe angle of the pushrods to the connector and the stiffness of the alieron "hinges". I didn't see that poor servo lasting long and I wasn't getting much throw at all either.

Do not fly with stock aileron setup using stock servo position and stock "easy connector". That combination results in a too sharp angle at the clamp point you can barely get any "up aileron" throw. I tried it and the aileron response is like you max out the expo setting and the plane respond to full left or right stick with almost several seconds of delay. Too dangerous to fly like that.

Either switch to a Dubro "easy connector", which is shorter, or try mounting the servo from the bottom. That would get you much better "up aileron" throw.
Oct 22, 2006, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
I have some of those I'll give it a try. Does it make it better cuz its not as tall as the stock connector? Thats the only difference I see that and the screw in bottom VS the rubber holder.
Oct 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
Congratualtions on the good flight!
Oct 22, 2006, 03:04 PM
I went straight to the Dubro micro connector, but the servo was buzzing and the output arm bent, even at neutral. I finally broke down and cut holes for servos in each wing for a couple of Blue Arrow 3.6g servos. Still not the best, but light years ahead of the stock setup. I'm still considering cutting the alierons free and using some real hinges. Just getting the gear in final positions. Flying weight is going to be about 14.5 oz. (what a pig).
Oct 22, 2006, 09:54 PM
Thread OP
Have y'all ever used a three blade prop on this plane?
Oct 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack72
Have y'all ever used a three blade prop on this plane?
Yes. I have used FSK 3 blade 9x7 prop on 3 different power systems. All work great for this plane.

The stock power system with FSK 3 blade use 2 cell LiPo drawing 9~10Amp full throttle, thrust around 14~15 oz.

MPJet Red 2 cell draws around 12 Amp and crazy amount of thrust.

400XT 2 cell draws around 8+ Amp and thrust slightly better than stock but hold on to load much better than stock.
Oct 23, 2006, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
I put the dubro connectors on today and they doo work alot better. Seemed like less stress on the servo with it. Thanks for the help.
Oct 23, 2006, 10:49 PM
hammer slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
Yes. I have used FSK 3 blade 9x7 prop on 3 different power systems. All work great for this plane.

The stock power system with FSK 3 blade use 2 cell LiPo drawing 9~10Amp full throttle, thrust around 14~15 oz.

MPJet Red 2 cell draws around 12 Amp and crazy amount of thrust.

400XT 2 cell draws around 8+ Amp and thrust slightly better than stock but hold on to load much better than stock.
hey, where do you get those FSK props???
Oct 24, 2006, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miljnor
hey, where do you get those FSK props???
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/slowprop.htm

Hobby-Lobby sells them. Stock number FS200, FS300, FS400 and FS305. You can also get individual blades for $1 each.
Oct 25, 2006, 06:17 PM
Just got back from my madien flight. It's a fairly smooth plane that goes where you point it. The Typhoon 6/20 hauls it quite well (esp. for an unused motor that pratically fell apart while in storage). Low passes look great. Loops as big as you want. Does a typical Corsair barrel roll. Dosen't feel like the floaty planes in the GP video. But, does slow down nicely for landing.

BTW: wolfpack72, take a closer look at that first pic. and put your pants back on

Quick Reply