Oct 21, 2006, 02:04 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Discussion

Question about brushless motors, props, and programmable ESC's

I am considering building a semi-scale motor-glider with a cowl that may be too wide to permit a folding prop. Is there a way to allow the prop to spin with the wind without using power?

At this point in the project, I am open to any number of solutions - including the use of one of those variable pitch prop & motor combinations.

Thoughts?

P.S. If this is an inappropriate forum for this question, PM me, and I will move it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2006, 02:17 AM
Permanently Banned
Unless you activate the break feature, the prop will spin with the wind anyway.

A spinning prop will actually add more aerodynamic drag than a stopped prop tho. Is that what you want?

Larry
Oct 21, 2006, 02:20 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Free spinning props are very draggy.
If you can't get the prop to fold you are better off with a strong brake.
Several ESCs, including Castle, give you the option of brake or no brake.

If you choose a higher rpm, smaller diameter prop instead of a bigger slower turning one drag in glide mode will be reduced at the expense of some climb performance.

A folder is the best option if possible.

Pat Mackenzie