UFO-PIX... The Quest for the ultimate aerodynamic shape ... - Page 5 - RC Groups
Oct 30, 2006, 10:23 PM
My pix is a bit fatter. Each opposite side is an arc with a radius of
22.5 inches from the apex. Each of the 3 corners (apex) is of course
spaced 22.5 inches. It makes it easier to calculate the area.
The glide CG, with a reflex the thickness of the foam, is 40 per cent
of the root chord (9" of 22.5").
I forget what the area is but I was trying for about the same as a
disc of 21" diameter. The final size was determined by the size of
foam that I had, natch. It's time to rob some gear from another
plane. It glides nicely without it.

WWII
Last edited by WrongwayII; Oct 30, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2006, 11:56 PM
Box, that is a sweet modification. Thanks for the details on the winglets. I was going to ask but re-read your post. How much room does the UFO-PIX take to fly? Is it getting down to indoor range without having to hang on the prop like a Jar? I realize it is all foam and simple enough to try one, but how about tame enough? What did you make the winglets out of?
Best Regards
Mnf
Oct 31, 2006, 12:26 AM
Look outside the Square
mnflyerfff. The wingletts where only an idea to tame the PIX a bit. They are made from a foam meat tray. I agree with its designer GPW that rubbing washout into the tips would do the same and keep the design simple as it was designed to be. The fin underneath suggested by GPW helps its flight capabilities greatly I think and tamed it quite abit. Dont understand how it works but so far so good. Its still a work in progress. As for space well I fly at a soccer oval and with the setup I have it doesn't take long to gobble it up, and I mean not long, so for indoor I'm not sure. GPW and MSmith might be able to enlighten you on that. They sometimes fly indoor so they would be better suited to answer that one. Hope this helps
Regards Box
Oct 31, 2006, 07:12 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Box , Thanks for all your investigation work ... Glad the fin and the washout help.... about the nose hanging ... it's not too bad if you have enough power to shoot vertical out of it .... sorta' like the 3D guys "punching out" of a hover...and it does killer descending torque rolls , easily .....I just mention this , because experienced pilots would have no trouble with this and actually might even find it FUN !!! (G & I did ) .... but novices would be terrified, panic and crash .... hahahahahaha It sorta' resembles the 3D Albatross in flying characteristics... which was based on the Fokker triangular sorta' tailplane ...very similar ...Albe responded well to sub-fin also ...????????? It was just a guess BOX .... been doin this waay too long ...guesses are getting better...
It is Maneuverable .... with my penchant for extreme control throws (speed brake ) we have to fly this one carefully ....
Oct 31, 2006, 08:58 AM
Gpw, sorry to take this off topic, but how does the Pix compare to your star sled?
mnf
Nov 01, 2006, 07:52 AM
gpw
gpw
MN ... Star sled much more floaty Pizza Box kinda' flyer ...the kind you can just harrier Up in the wind and grab it... PIX is HOT !!!!! Very maneuverable , not nearly as well mannered as the Sled or USAF UFO... But a Hot little rascal!!! ...Turns quick , loops quick , flies quick , even vertical !!!!! This one is probably left alone by the noobs , it's easy enough to build and looks sleek cool , but I wouldn't recommend it for an inexperienced pilot .... I keep thinking of COMBAT !!!!!! Perfect , being able to inflict damage and Fly away for more, especially as a pusher .... hahahahahahaha sick eh ???
Nov 01, 2006, 01:31 PM
GPW, thanks for the reply, I'd send you a PM but it doesn't look like you accept them with the little envelope missing on your posts. Gene Bond recommends his ips p51, for noobs (me). Do any of your Star sled and Pizza box floaties fit the bill for a noob? I'm on my second JAR and flight times are now growing into seconds per flight instead of milliseconds. I would like to build a foamy box type for use in a two court basketball gym, any suggestions?
By the way, thanks for all you contribute for the rest of us.
Mnf
Nov 01, 2006, 05:27 PM
Use whatcha got!
mn - build the original UFO. But build it light... If you've been practicing w/ a JAR, and you're 'sorta gettin the hang of it...' then I think you should try the UFO.

Follow the instructions closely and go w/ an IPS drive... Something w/ a bit of torque over speed though and keep it as light as possible... Build it to fly, and not to crash and you should be OK.

Use super light weight batteries lipos if you've got them in the 300-400 range should be nice w/ something this light/small.

I've got a box of the bphobbies 'C' foam that I think I"m going to try out soon. Might do a super light UFO for floating around the yard.

-mike s.
Nov 01, 2006, 06:11 PM
gpw
gpw
Lighter does fly better .... but you MUST mount all your radio stuff as far forward as possible ... to balance at 25%
Nov 02, 2006, 12:02 AM
Use whatcha got!
Yeah, I was thinking about that... I figured that the gearbox/motor might help w/ balancing... That and you could move the servos more forward to get balanced as well.

I was just thinking... If we're flying them w/ that heavy gws motor, big servos (9gram), and 1100 2S and 800 3S batteries, if someone were to lighten it up even more can you imagine how well it'd float with all that wing area?

Thats one of the things that I was thinking about trying out some 3mm depron on. A super lightweight UFO... 21" just like normal, but then go w/ an ips motor, 300mah lipo, 5 gram servos, etc. Just barely enough glue to keep it together... maybe even only use a bit of contact cement instead of the hot glue like we normally do... I wonder how light we could get it....

-mike s.
Nov 02, 2006, 06:49 AM
gpw
gpw
I've got some lightweight Dep and stuff , you're welcome to...Go for it Dude!!!!!
Nov 02, 2006, 10:20 AM
Use whatcha got!
gpw - call me when you get a few minutes free... ask me about my battery pack bricks

fyi - folks, one of the 'tricks' that I've learned from gpw came about when I asked him how he got his fuse/wing alignments so straight, 90 degrees, etc... he told me I need to get some bricks.

set two bricks down on your building table and use them as a building jig to keep things aligned while you glue. works wonders...

Since I've been doing all of my building in the house (and will continue to do so until my shed gets power ) I've needed to come up with some bricks that the little lady wouldn't object to being in her pretty little house.

I've got a source of battery packs from laptop computers. These things are 3"x5"x3/4".

I've glued/taped 8 of them together in two stacks of four and they work wonders as building 'bricks'.

Also, with the new green foam, gpw has found that ironing it helps the skin to stick a bit better and makes it look neater over all (takes the wrinkles out) but when you put the heat on it, it can tend to warp a bit... A simple paperweight to keep things flat helps while the heat leaves the foam. I've taken 2 and 3 of the extra batteries that I had and glued them together to use as paper/foam weights...

pretty neat cheap tricks...

-mike s.
Nov 02, 2006, 07:20 PM
Look outside the Square
MSmith, this Blue Flu ( in Oz its Cellfoam/ Meet Tray Flu for me), its just getting simplier and simplier. The humble brick. Great idea. Cheap too. Keep'm these simple idea's coming. Thanks to yourself and GPW for sharing, its much appreciated. Just about to do some video editing of the Pix. In the past you have put video ( eg Meet Ray, 2-3 meg) on the forum and it seemed that you didn't go through (Youtube or any video host to speak of). Just click and play. I'v tried to put video straight on the forum and it wont do it. To much memory ( 5-6 meg) it says. If you link it up to host and put it on a forum it does it. Is their a secret you have or am I missing something here. I use windows movie editor and display my files as a wmv file. Any help would be appreaciated.
Regards Box
Nov 02, 2006, 10:10 PM
Use whatcha got!
box, I put my videos in the 'video' forum, and link to it from here...

for instance...

This is a video thread...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&highlight=ufo

They allow you to post larger videos there for some reason. I guess they want to keep the larger files out of the regular threads, or they probably have that section linked to a specific file server... Regardless... You can just post a simple "this is a video of my plane" thread and then once your video is there after you submit the thread, right click on the video icon, and choose 'copy link location' (only works if you're using windows XP). The go back to the plane thread such as this one here and just hit Ctrl-V to paste the link, or right click paste if you prefer the mouse. If you're not using windows XP, its still possible, but will take a bit more clicking... Right click on that video link back in your video thread and choose properties. Highlight the address by left-click (and hold) and dragging the cursor over the address. Be sure to capture the whole address as some of the link may be off-screen (not showing up in the properties box). Then come back to this thread and do the control-v or right-click -> paste to link to the thread.

If you click on the hyperlink button (looks like a chainlink underneath a small globe) in the 'advanced post' screen, you can dress up the links instead of having that big nasty long gibberish. Just click on the button, enter the name of the file or whatever text you choose to represent the file, then click OK, then right-click -> paste, or control-V (keyboard shortcut) to put the address into the address field of the hyperlink. Sort of like this:

gpw's CRAZY UFO of craziness... and fun! or something

And to keep this on topic... I like flying my USAF UFO.
Edit***
Whoops... This is the Pix thread... Even though I haven't worked out all the bugs yet, I think I'll like flying the Pix as well.

-mike s.
Last edited by msmith; Nov 02, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
Nov 03, 2006, 02:08 AM
Look outside the Square
Thanks once again Mike. Geeeez you blokes are helpful. I use windows XP but when you right click the video icon "copy link location" doesn't appear. Only says "Link" or "open link in window". Something like that. Probably the "Ozzie Version" ha ha ha. So I went the more clicking option. Just as easy.
Now back on subject. Have taken the winglets(washout), bottom fin off the Pix, going back to stock and gonna try another option. After taking the nose off the old girl and doing repairs I had a thoughty. Can always go back if it dont work. I've got to wait till Monday weather permitting to give it a try.
The video might be a bit dark due to cloudy skies . "Boy" I haven't seen the back of my melon for a while, could have landed the Pix on it. Not much grass on it either. Hopefully the weather in your neck of the woods is good for the weekend. I'm back to work tomorrow.
Thanks once again
Regards Box

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591736
Last edited by Boxhead; Nov 03, 2006 at 02:37 AM.