UFO-PIX... The Quest for the ultimate aerodynamic shape ... - Page 4 - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2006, 07:39 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Wow!!! I didn't even recognize the Meet Ray in camo .... COOL !

Mods : I added a 1/2"W slat of thin bamboo (floor mat ) to the front of the virus on top and bottom to stiffen UP the nose .... The motor mount is a 3/8"x3/8" stick mounted to a tongue depressor, glued to the nose on derundersiden'...servos(pico) /pushrods all installed awaiting a rx(cannabalize) , mm(on order) , and one of the little 24g little blue otrs that MS brought over...Maiden Sat morning ....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2006, 08:53 PM
Look outside the Square
Yeh GPW. Did a couple of things to Meet Ray , flies well , just got to rewire a motor for it. Needs a bit more grunt for my 2 cell , 800 mah packs. Once done, I'll do a report on her. The mods sound good for the Pix. Specially the strengthing up front. Good Luck for MS and yourself on the maidens.
Regards Box
Oct 27, 2006, 07:35 AM
gpw
gpw
Thanks Box ... here's some pics of the mod...

Notice orange visibility spray on the underside tips .... Helps .... from the Wal-Mart in small cans ... bright , eh ???
Oct 28, 2006, 08:00 AM
gpw
gpw
Mnf ... working on a answer for you ... Don't know till we fly it...
Ms and I were talking about CG ... on his 18" , he said that his battery had to go all the way in the back for balance with the DD j250 on the nose ... I got my mounts in and stuck one(+the motor) on the Virus Pix... and now it is slightly nose heavy ... without the battery ...I will have to mind the weight I add to the front , lest I end UP with a battery in the trunk ...
Looks windy and nasty today ...was supposed to be a 10 ...lots of stuff to test fly.... new weatherman is a joke ....ARGH!!!!!
Oct 28, 2006, 08:23 AM
Look outside the Square
GPW all weathermen are a joke. Sounds like you have one of our rejects. Problem is they dont stick their head out the window to have a look, they read whats on the computer in front of them and take it as Gospel. Definately like the orange. Got to find some of those floor mats over here. What a great find by MSmith. Blow'n a hefty Southerly here at the moment. Hope the weather improves for all those maidens you have.
Good Luck, Box
Oct 28, 2006, 09:01 AM
gpw
gpw
Thanks , this is usually the windy season , but this is too much .... schmaybe ' later
Floor mats are a wonderfull source of long bamboo in useable sizes ... Got Big Lots there... or something close???(Chinese importer)
Oct 29, 2006, 09:48 PM
gpw
gpw
Pix maidened this morning .... flew well , but very different from the USAF UFO... fast , and VERY maneuverable ... LOVES POWER!!!!...3s700 was FUN , and able to easily go vertical from a dead stop (tail touching )... and it does the best descending torque rolls ... backwards... More trimming ... cg adjustments to be tried ... I'm on the test glide , best glide cg right now ... may have to move it slightlty forward and use more reflex in the elevons ... more testing is ordered... Be back ...

MS had difficulties with the j250 pix ... I don't know why ??? We'll have to play with that some more... Should have worked , but it got windy all of a sudden when we went to toss it ... typical ...
Oct 30, 2006, 12:08 AM
Look outside the Square
Well fella's threw another pack through the Pix again this morning after work. After Friday where I found it pretty twitchy and after adjusting the throws a tad and a bit of foolin around I have made a small mod over the weekend. Havn't been able to try it till this morning. It seemed to make a difference in her this morning. A little less twitchy. Engine troubles again so in the morning I will be using 3 cell 800 mah instead of 2 cell for a bit more omph and seeing if the new little mod is making the difference I think. Thanks for the maiden report. Tell MS I'm try'in this end and I hope he gets his right.
Good Luck, Box
Oct 30, 2006, 06:45 AM
gpw
gpw
BOX, let us know about your mods...I'm thinking of adding a sub fin on the bottom aft ...Mine would fly great except it would get into a nose UP situation ,and just hang there...control surfaces not doing much... on a 2s I had to ride it out which usually would be a flip over the top and an inverted half loop .... on 3s I was merely able to power UP vertical and out of it ... not nearly as stable as the UFO.... still FUN...and different
MS added a fuselage arc of foam to the bottom of his(great for hand launching and protecting eqpt. mounted on the bottom) ...but his wouldn't fly at all ... More testing ...
Oct 30, 2006, 07:12 AM
Look outside the Square
Sounds exactly the same flying characteristics as mine GPW. especially with the 2 cell pack. That's why a 3 cell pack tomorrow. I have made I suppose you call a winglet of sorts. A triangle piece 2 inchs wide at the tip of the wing,tapering down about 8 inchs towards the front. Bent them up 30 degrees. A quick flight showed this morning that it was less twitchy with these added. The rearing up was still there and I have put in about 1/4 inch of down elevator to flatten it out but maybe that's just pushing the CG forward a bit more. At work at the moment so with luck I'll be trying again in the morning. Finish work in the morning for 4 days so it will be back to the field. Hopefully with some positve results.
Regards Box
Oct 30, 2006, 07:23 AM
gpw
gpw
Box , Yeah ! , I think the rearing UP is just a CG thing ... I noticed mine would tuck under a little bit (not bad) without a little reflex in the elevons...usually a sign of too aft a cg ... but I was using the test /best glide cg so I expect to move it forward a bit ...and I think the winglets are a good idea , but would simply washing out the tips of the elevons basically do the same thing ...??? Tryin ' to keep it dirt simple , eh .... Good Luck on the testing !!!!
Oct 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
Use whatcha got!
Definitely need to go over mine with a fine toothed comb...

Looks great, but I've done something to make it fly like... n/m, it didn't really fly at all.

I'm going to re-work it a bit though... I had the motor hanging off the front w/ the chopstick/j250 mount. I'm going to desolder the motor connections to put the wires through the fuse and on the top where I'll mount the j250 on a tongue depressor ala' j250 UFO.

Then re-balance/test glide and go from there.

It was a complete handful... First flight just did a loop straight out of my hand... Probably could have completed the loop, but powered off to try and save it...

Next flight, or attempt at flight was about the same...

3rd attempt broke the prop, motor mount, etc. and had me give up for the day since the ideas I wanted to try required a soldering iron and I didn't bring one with me to the field.

-mike s.
Oct 30, 2006, 02:46 PM
Look outside the Square
If we didn't have these hicups MS life would be just to cruisey!!!!! ( What a load of crap, did I just say that )But boy it would be nice just to see it fly out of our hands first toss every toss ( Now that's better ). Sorry to hear about the maiden but i know you fella's will come up with something. You always do. Quick Question ? Do you fella's run a 12v glue gun/solder iron, what ever electrical from your car's at the field or do you run these through a voltage regulator. Just getting sick of breaking stuff at the field then driving home to fix when its only a small job to fix and could do it at the field. Sorry of subject. Just finished work so back to the park for some more Pix Testing action.
Regards Box
Oct 30, 2006, 04:07 PM
Use whatcha got!
ac/dc converter... Plugs into the cigarette lighter (or 12v accesory port) and converst to AC110/115/120 whatever... two outlets. Enough to run a glue gun, or a soldering iron...

I have one that I use to recharge the laptop w/ gps for long trips.

Mine is smallish in size and only cost about $19.00 @ the local Sam's wholesale club a few years back.

-mike s.
Oct 30, 2006, 08:33 PM
Look outside the Square
Thanks Mike. Your a Gem. I read in another forum what happens if you win the lottery well The same Back. Your young bloke would love the Kangaroo's hopping down the street. Well cotray to belief they dont but there's millions of them in the bush. He'd love it.
All good on the Pix front. I was in the ball park with the CG at 46-48% but MS was spot on with the CG at 45%. Left the winglets on but I have to agree with GPW washout would keep it more simple, but I thought if they didn't work it would be easier for me just to take them off. "TESTING" !!!! 2 Batt packs later, well tried various CG positions but 45% seems the spot. Power off and the glide was great. Tried adding area to fin, no go. GPW mentioned putting a fin on the bottom combined with the winglets ( washout ),well as you can see it worked. The only time it started rearing at the front when the battery was dying. Little bit of down elevator and I put it down to an indication "its time to land". Rolls at level flight, straighter than my electric drill, (ailerons set at 70%). Loops where great with the elevator set at 60%. Where you point it , it goes. .Extremely Manouverable.
The Fin on bottom is 1 1/2 inchs from the rear of the plane ( tried different positions this seemed the best). 2 inchs high, 5 1/4 inchs long. Winglets 1 1/2inchs wide, 8 inchs long, set at 30 degrees, but rubbing in washout as GPW says would do the same and it keeps it simpler. I'll keep tweaking, but as it is ,its good. Will try to get some video in the next couple of days. Hope this helps.
Regards Box