UFO-PIX... The Quest for the ultimate aerodynamic shape ... - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 25, 2006, 04:40 AM
My plans are in my blog
BTW tonight, in an hour, will finish up the UFO, and intend to do this one next. Thanks, you do good work.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2006, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
How on earth does one keep the sharpies from smearing? I have tried using sharpies several times over the last few years and it always ends up on my hands etc when I handle my models even after it has "dried" for weeks. Using them on EPP has been the worst, but even depron is a problem. Please, I need education!

Jerry
Same here. OTOH, I've done pretty well with the H2O...

Good Luck!
Oct 25, 2006, 07:39 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Guys , I don't know why the Sharpies are smearing ...??? Blue on EPP is a nightmare , but I really don't have any trouble with any of the colors on FFF or Dep ...But I don't really touch the surfaces after I'm done ...and I don't mark UP where a handhold is ...Particular body chemistry may be interacting with the colors... so don't touch the artwork ...
BOX , your CG was right first time ...
PIX glides pretty well, MS brought some of those new little blue motors over ... should be perfect in the PIX... Can't wait to fly it , but had to order more radio stuff from BP first ...Never enough radios, eh ???
Oct 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
Look outside the Square
Got to agree, theirs always never enough gear. Always surfing the Net here and in Honkers looking ,looking , looking for that next bit I need. Her indoors just don't get it. Women .Just finished the UFO Pix, gear in, paint drying, tractor with a weight of 5 7/8 oz without Battery. I like it. Glad I was close with the CG. The neighbours probably thought I was nuts walking up and down the street throwing the lid of a pizza box, talking to myself. I knew I ate the Pizza for a good reason. If it stops blowing by the morning I will maiden her.
Pictures and details tomorrow.
Regards Box
Oct 25, 2006, 08:51 AM
gpw
gpw
We're always throwing something and talking to ourselves...is it because of the Pizza... ???? No troubles in the wind .....windy season here caused the pix ( no floaters) We reg fly UFO , BA, MS in 15-20 .... above that ,better head to the slopes...
Oct 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
How on earth does one keep the sharpies from smearing?
Jerry
Easy enough to understand how, hard to do sometimes with the meaty mits I have. How do you keep sharpies from smearing? Dont touch the foam after you put it on for 15 minutes. No secret trick. My hands look like Ive been finger painting after I do a sharpie job. Thats why I go for the more, eh, abstract design.
Oct 25, 2006, 09:56 PM
gpw
gpw
While you're working , place a clean paper towell under your hand if you must touch the surface or rest your hand...After I get them done I try not to touch the surface at all .... ever.... and yes sunlight fades the red pretty quick , and the dark blue smears the worst ... Practice on scrap ... use a ruler for straight lines ... for markings , make a thin cardboard template , trace on to the foam with the same color ball point pen as the marking color to avoid sullying' the colors...
Oct 25, 2006, 10:03 PM
is it flying time?
Thanks Glen. I am a bit of a Klutz when it comes to "artwork", comes with getting older I guess. I can still build a 650 mg EZB but doing "artwork" is not one of my stronger skills. I was hoping that maybe there was a spray that I could put on over the sharpies so I would be able to handle the models without messing up the "artwork".

Jerry
Oct 25, 2006, 10:40 PM
Crash Master
Clear Krylon may help, but I've not ever really had a problem. Maybe it's the way I crash them real fast?
Oct 26, 2006, 12:40 AM
I've done clear Krylon over sharpie on motor cans. If you're not careful the color will run. Can lead to some neat effects...

Good Luck!
Oct 26, 2006, 03:19 AM
Look outside the Square
Well Fella's mixed fortunes with the maiden but still . First throw The bugger reared up, forward stick bring it level and get it down in one piece you idiot . Bent the nose but a tad of surgery, moved the CG a bit. If that dont work we'll look at the throws. After a few more hit and misses. Find the longest grass and glide it with no power , just to check( back to original CG). Couple of clicks of d/elev .We are in drought over here and the grass isn't that long, what grass, there isn't any. Glided beautiful. Okay I reduced the throws on Aileron to 70% and elevator to 60%. Lets do it again, half throttle, bingo , lookin good, couple clicks to the right, still a bit twitchy up and down but boy it turns on a heartbeat , you beauty. Ahhhhhhhh, did a circuit settler, lookin good. Banked to the left in front of me, BANG , a spray of foam shards, cut the motor and down she gently come. Took a chunk out just to the side of the motor. 2 grub screws hold the motor onto engine mount. You guessed it, one had come totally out. So the motor let go. Brand new Chinese motor. I know, should have checked it. But I thought it being new. Dont think. I'll be back out Monday doing it again. Back to work tomorrow. From my short experience with the Pix I reckon the roll rate will be fantastic and its manoverablity will be fantastic as well. * Check those Grub Screws * Sorry for being long winded
Weight 5 7/8 ozs (w/O Batt)
2 GWS Naro Servos / Gws 4 Ch Rx
800 mah CSRC Batt
Chinese Motor /8040 Prop
Paint Scheme / I went for the "I CAN SEE IT THEME"
Thanks once again GPW.
Regards Box
Oct 26, 2006, 08:06 AM
gpw
gpw
Box , Love the PIX in "camo"... and the cool foamie plane holder...I guess the PIX is going to be FAST and maneuverable ...That's what we wanted , right ???

Finishing UP mine , waiting for OTR mount so I can run my new Chi motor...MS getting his together for the weekend , that's when we'll maiden ... Thanks Box ...we check our hdwe. for trouble...
PS...since this Fat delta shape has less area than the UFO , I'd assume it would a bit faster...but we can always enlarge it to match the UFO area and then compare the two .... any calculus majors know how to find the area of a fat triangle ... I could only guess...close ,but no cigar ...
Oct 26, 2006, 08:37 AM
Look outside the Square
Yeah GPW the old brocoli box from the back of the local fruit market. Cheap too. They throw them out. The old bird in the box, well I never leave home with out it. If in doubt get the UFO out. Hope all goes well for youself and MS on the weekend maidens of the UFO Pix. Looking forward to the report. The camo paint job is not as flash as yours but these tired old eye's can see it.
Good Luck
Regards Box
Oct 26, 2006, 11:33 AM
I like the look of the UFO Pix, how would you compare it to the albatross, or should I be asking that question?

Is anybody going for a pusher with this design?

Boxhead, I was wondering about the plane that is on the right in your pic with the broccolli box. As I type the question, I get the idea it might be yours. Can you provide a link to the plans?
Last edited by mnflyerfff; Oct 26, 2006 at 12:03 PM.
Oct 26, 2006, 04:28 PM
Look outside the Square
mnflyerfff, The aircraft in the Box is GPW's UFO. If you haven't tried it as yet,do. Its a great flyer. http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Glen The one on the right of the UFO Pix is Chara's Funky Fighter. Also a great flyer. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=funky+fighter The Black one in the middle is GPW's Meet Ray flyer, also, a great flyer. At the start of the thread Jam also has a great deal of fantastic plans from the fella's here in the DIY Foamie's Plans.Hope this helps.
Regards Box
Last edited by Boxhead; Oct 26, 2006 at 07:26 PM.