UFO-PIX... The Quest for the ultimate aerodynamic shape ... - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2006, 08:11 AM
Look outside the Square
Wont be long now. Ate the pizza , now the lids a 1/2 size UFO Pix glider. I'll be checking out where the CG is in the morning. 10pm here. Her in doors doesn't like me throwing things in the house.
Regards Box
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2006, 10:43 AM
Use whatcha got!
sonofagun - when gpw started sketching this thing to show me a few weeks back, I leaned over and picked up a pic from his work bench for comparison... Same thought as you and a few others here apparently...

disgustingly crazy eh? I like it... Especially the red/green alien... Too cool.
Went back and looked at them again... The multi-colored one looks like a volcano erupting... The other looks like a virus or something... Maybe a mutated strain of the flu under a microscope... Alien Flu? Very cool on all three.

glen - I've gotta get some work done today, but will try to swing by tomorrow if you're available... Please call my cell to discuss times, details...

-mike s.
Oct 23, 2006, 07:28 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Well , I contacted MS and he agreed to beta- test the Pix, he has , if you will , the Pick of the pix....installing servos tomorrow in the remainder.... new motors in town , should be extremely fast at a moderate amp draw...

We are anxiously awaiting the results of Box's CG test glides... probably between 25-30%.... Now you've gone and made me hungry .... have to go make a couple pizzas....BYE !!!
Oct 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
O wow GPW that looks great. You really are an artist. Now I have a long list of planes to build when I get home.
Oct 23, 2006, 11:15 PM
Look outside the Square
Well GPW I thought it would be 25%- 35% too. The glider I made was 10 1/4 inchs long ( chord )and 11 1/4 inchs from wing tip to tip. Approx 1/2 size of the UFO Pix. Balance point for this little bird was 4 3/4 inchs from nose. About 46%- 48% by my figures. So the full size UFO Pix would be approx 9-9 1/2 inchs from the nose by doubling the above figures. . I was getting consistant 15-20 ft glides with this. You blokes probably think I'm nuts with these figures but I have rechecked them. Hope this helps.
Regards Box
Oct 24, 2006, 06:46 AM
The CG on my delta is 1/3 of the root chord and I think it could go back a bit. Much more area in the back of a delta.

Good Luck!
Oct 24, 2006, 07:07 AM
gpw
gpw
Box , Thanks for the testing .... that's where MS and I will start from today ... something about those 3/4 views that looks very Alien....even in Pizza colors...
Beave , Thanks !!!

Question #1 How do you make an equilateral triangle without any calculations.... Simple !!! Draw a base line the WS that you want , mark the middle and extend a line perpendicular from the mark ...looks like an inverted T , eh ??? Now measure the WS distance from the outer point on the base leg up the perpendicular line , mark it , draw a line . draw another line from the other end of the base the same way .... instant equilateral triangle ....
Oct 24, 2006, 07:52 AM
Look outside the Square
GPW just finished cutting mine out and put the motor on (25g motor from Honkers ). Then started jocking the electronics round. I started the CG at 8 3/4 inchs from the nose but the battery is starting to creep midway along the the fin to balance out. It just doesn't look right. Hope I haven't given you guys a bum steer. Awaiting to hear how you fella's went and if my measurements are in the ball park.
Good luck
Regards Box
Oct 24, 2006, 08:06 AM
gpw
gpw
Box , we were discussing thew possibility of ... a pusher , with the motor in the rear and the battery UP front ....or a motor in the slot thingie' which could concentrate the motor and battery around the CG .... I've been putting all my eqpt. on the bottom of the wing ... we talked extensively with a real Navy pilot who had strong opinions about cluttering UP the smooth top surface of the wing ... seems logical , eh ? and it keeps the weight lower down on the airframe ....making it seem more stable ... Lots of room for experimentation on this shape ....

Plus it has such a pleasing shape .... as a professional Artist for 36 years ...in artistic terms ... It just "grabs" me !!!!!
Oct 24, 2006, 03:50 PM
Use whatcha got!
Ok... I snagged the alien face Pic.

It was a toss-up between the virus looking pic and the alien but gpw mentioned he'd designed the alien head for the j250 since it has an 18" WS vs a 22" on the other two. Test glide produced a CG around 45% so Boxhead's measurement was spot-on... Might actually move it a tad back anyway for some 'fun' hanging around style flying.

Kept thinking that I'd go w/ the J250 in the back as a pusher, but then figured that I'd lose the 'hi-alpha' characteristics that I like so much about the original UFO. Gonna start this one with a J250 on the nose for that reason and go from there.

Will photo and weigh it w/ gear installed some time this week (hopefully tonight )

-mike s.
Oct 24, 2006, 04:14 PM
I tried the krylon H2o Paint and it sucks! I would like to dress up some of my planes with some color. What did you use to get that great color.?
Oct 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
Use whatcha got!
Ranko - just mentioned this on your thread about this same topic.

All the artwork above was done w/ sharpie... I could wait for gpw to tell you himself, but he only sometimes gets online in the evenings and you might have to wait until tomorrow morning for an answer

He's got a bucket about 10" across (looks like an plastic ice cream bucket) that is full of markers.

@ wal-mart or office supply shops you can get a bundle of different colored sharpies that work well for blending. Since I'm no artist, I simply buy the main colors but in different sizes. They have some really big sharpies in the black, blue, and red variety. Also bought a few of the 'marks-a-lot' name brand. Got a decent sized green that way. I think I'll try a few of the sharpies 'more exotic' colors in the near future though and try to teach myself about shading and color.

-mike s.
Oct 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
Look outside the Square
Glad to see ya back MSmith from the from The Land of Disney. I bet your family enjoyed themselves, lucky bugger. $10 for Internet a day is about $12.50- $13 Aussie, got to agree Geeeeeez thats expensive. Anyway glad the the CG measurement was in the Ball Park for the UFO Pix. Hope to hear glowing reports soon. Got to agree, GPW's artwork is like his plans, awesome, an extremly talented fella. I'll work on mine today and try to get it finished.
Regards Box
Last edited by Boxhead; Oct 24, 2006 at 05:19 PM.
Oct 24, 2006, 05:59 PM
is it flying time?
How on earth does one keep the sharpies from smearing? I have tried using sharpies several times over the last few years and it always ends up on my hands etc when I handle my models even after it has "dried" for weeks. Using them on EPP has been the worst, but even depron is a problem. Please, I need education!

Jerry
Oct 25, 2006, 04:38 AM
My plans are in my blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Son , actually the MMmoto or even a pusher would work fine on a PIX or USAF UFO ...Plan to try several versions since they are so ridiculously quick and EASY to put fab...But tractor motos will easily hover , for those that are into that ... everything else the same ...unless you crash ...hahahaha
Bal .. Warmoth neck on this first guitar I ever made... make my own now .. better
My consulting job is at www.NewOrleansGuitar.com Friend of mine who hung out with me too long , gave UP his sculpting business , and started making guitars ...Now he has all the good tools , so I make things there... Mine were all made by hand tools ... slow...Now I can whip out a great guitar in a month or two ...

Very cloudy , overcast this AM ... just getting light enough to go out and take pics ... Be back ..
Back in the mid-80's, when hard rock ruled (i still listen to this music), I played guitar a bit, but loved to modify/fix other's guitars, and even made one from scratch, using a Carvin neck-thru-body neck, as a Randy Rhodes original Flying V copy, sans polka dots. On occasion i still toy with the idea of doing another guitar. I already have a design set a side. Someday...