UFO-PIX... The Quest for the ultimate aerodynamic shape ... - RC Groups
Oct 19, 2006, 08:17 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Whoops!

UFO-PIX... The Quest for the ultimate aerodynamic shape ...

Saw this on a UFO show ... this was represented as a Russian UFO .... even looked like a French weather balloon to me ...???
But it is a very pleasing shape and should "cheat" the air very nicely ... Projected windy season, dictates a like plane ...and after flying the USAF UFO in strong winds ,I'm confident this will fly similarly , allthought not have as much glide at the same weight ...Schmaybe' even fly better....???
Plans at www.FoamFly.com/gallery/Glen If you hurry , you can have one built and ready by Sat morning ....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2006, 10:38 PM
Dr Wankel, I presume??

Looks a lot like a delta I did earlier this year. Mine's a 16 Oz turkey though (not that it doesn't perform well). That double sided tape is heavier than I thought. I've been thinking about redoing it with single layer and LiPo.

Good Luck!
Last edited by BeavrdamElectric; Oct 19, 2006 at 10:59 PM.
Oct 20, 2006, 07:48 AM
gpw
gpw
How do you feel that particular shape works for you ????? I like the pusher aspect too ....I just figured with the tractor setUP , it'd be easy to hover....lots of alternatives...!!!
It is sorta' "wanky " eh ???
Oct 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
It was my first delta so I'm not sure what to say. I think the CG is too far forward, but I haven't flown it in a while. It hit the ground pretty hard a couple times, I'm glad the motor is in the back! It's quite durable too, I was surprised. My UFO is so much lighter it's totally different. Need more equipment so I can do a lighter delta!

It does fit a lot of area in a compact planform.

Good Luck!
Oct 20, 2006, 11:31 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Looks good Glen...darnit...now I gotta add ANOTHER plan to the que!!!

Nice Flying "V," BTW. Is it one of your designs?

Tim
AG4RZ (Amateur radio, guitars, and R/C planes...no wonder I got no money!!)
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Oct 21, 2006, 07:30 AM
gpw
gpw
Guys , wait till you see them DECORATED... went crazy with the FTP and went totally alien strange ... Pics asap ..
Beave ... No flightests yet , but I think this will fly great , even with an ips motor perhaps ...indoor season is right around the corner...
Ifly ... Don't worry , this one builds QUICK ... only two parts , and HG hinges... REALLY SIMPLE ...
Guitar is based on a Gibson V from the 50's....made it years ago ...using it on the gig tonight ... Big Haloween party for a Carnival krewe... won't be flying in the morning .... supposed to rain ...
Oct 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
Hey, were u looking at a guitar pic when you designed that one? It should fly great as do all deltas. GPW, could you post another link to your guitar shop?? I lost it. I like the one w/the dot on the tail best. What about a semi mid mounted moto?
Oct 21, 2006, 05:42 PM
Last edited by Ballistic; Sep 25, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Oct 21, 2006, 06:32 PM
Aim to Misbehave
maybe a JimDunlop pick?,nylon in the .38 range,
Bob
Oct 22, 2006, 08:44 AM
gpw
gpw
Son , actually the MMmoto or even a pusher would work fine on a PIX or USAF UFO ...Plan to try several versions since they are so ridiculously quick and EASY to put fab...But tractor motos will easily hover , for those that are into that ... everything else the same ...unless you crash ...hahahaha
Bal .. Warmoth neck on this first guitar I ever made... make my own now .. better
My consulting job is at www.NewOrleansGuitar.com Friend of mine who hung out with me too long , gave UP his sculpting business , and started making guitars ...Now he has all the good tools , so I make things there... Mine were all made by hand tools ... slow...Now I can whip out a great guitar in a month or two ...

Very cloudy , overcast this AM ... just getting light enough to go out and take pics ... Be back ..
Oct 22, 2006, 09:08 AM
gpw
gpw
pix...pics FTP really dresses UP bare Foam , eh ?
MS ...is this "disgustingly crazy " enough ???
Oct 22, 2006, 02:38 PM
GPW like WOW!!!!

MS carefull for what you ask for!,,,,,
windy city
Oct 22, 2006, 07:26 PM
Aim to Misbehave
KILLER GUITAR PIC!!! hope it flies well,
Bob
Oct 23, 2006, 07:12 AM
Crash Master
I thought it was shaped like a nose...

You guys think it's shaped like a pick...

Maybe it was inspired by picking your nose?
Oct 23, 2006, 07:40 AM
gpw
gpw
Schmaybe' ???? hahahahahahahahahaaha...