Aug 26, 2002, 05:32 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP

Herr Aqua-Star for 6V speed 400

Commenced construction of my Herr Aqua-Star. After much research and emails with other Aqua-Star builders, I have decided to build mine as a full 4 channel, direct drive 6V speed 400. The first phase of construction was to lay out all of the pieces and then rough fit them. I examined the fuselage and noted possible locations where weight saving measures could be implimented. I then disassembled the fuselage and with a newly purchased compass cutter from my LHS I was off.
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Aug 26, 2002 at 07:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2002, 05:49 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Attached is a photo of the individual components for the fuselage. To save weight, I have used my compass cutter to remove as much of the excess material as I thought safe. Since I have not built this model before, I relied heavily on guestimation! I attempted to attach this photo to the intitial posting for this thread but was unsuccessful. Sooooooooo here we go again.
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Aug 26, 2002 at 07:59 PM.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:05 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
I do not have a scale to compare before and after. I would like to have one, but the ones that I have seen cost upwards of 40 to 60 dollars. A little out of my range for now. Must purchase books and pay for college first.

Final assembly of the fuselage began. During assembly, I noticed that some of the pieces had become extremely fragile. I knew going into this project that I would have to use extreme caution as not to impare the structural integrity of the aircraft. I am hoping that as the pieces come together, there will be an increase in strength. There are multiple places where the individual pieces had to be repaired during assembly. One piece continued to break. I eventually tired of repairing it and allowed it to remain unrepaired. I like the overall look of the fuselage with the "swiss cheese" affect.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:10 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Attached is another photo showing the extensive use of the compass cutter to save weight.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:14 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
After I had the fuselage reassembled, I could not resist painting the inside of the cabin area. I appllied a coat of flat white and once dry applied another coat of gloss white. I am sure that any weight savings made from removing material has been offset by the weight of the paint. It is hard to tell in the photo but the interior really looks good. I am pleased with the results. I hope it will fly as well as it looks.
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Aug 26, 2002 at 08:01 PM.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:17 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Another photo showing the painted interior of the Aqua-Star.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:22 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
I had initially intended to stay away from the conventional red and white color scheme of the Aqua-Star but found myself drawn in when I located a roll of red and a roll of white coverite in the closet. I added some automotive pinstripe to give it a little flare. I have used this color scheme on another model and it turned out well.
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Aug 26, 2002 at 08:02 PM.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:24 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Another photo showing battery access and the covering.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:35 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Although I might have lost some of the initial weight savings, I am still committed to building it light. As stated previously, I intend to make this a full function aircraft. I will use three Tower Hobbies TS-15 sub-micro servos for control and a Jeti JES180 ESC. Power is supplied by an 8 cell 600 AE pack.

Battery access has been added to the bow of the aircraft but was latter was found to be inadequate. The battery can be removed/installed but with difficulty. I do not intend to enlarge the battery access. I have not yet determined how the battery access cover will be mounted. I am looking at using blind nuts and steel screws and applying some form of water barrier.

Another area of concern is the servos. I am not sure if they are suitable for this application. I have a full set (4 servos) of GWS mini servos but intend to use them on my ACE simple series Ultimate Biplane (electric conversion).

Attached is a photo showing the radio compartment with the rudder and elevator servos installed using servo mounting tape. A small ledge has been added to the base of the servos to provide extra surface area for mounting tape.
Last edited by HAWK3Y3; Aug 26, 2002 at 08:06 PM.
Aug 26, 2002, 06:49 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Now the good stuff. I am having difficulty with the wing. In the planning stage, I had intended to have a one piece (48") wing. I am now looking at having the wing fold at the W1 (center wing rib). I am toying with the idea of using a piano hinge along the bottom of the wing with some form of fastening device at the top. It is also my intention to use nylon fastening bolts to attach the wing to the fuselage. In other threads, I have seen it suggested that the wing spar be reinforced. I have purchased some Dave Brown carbon fiber strips and will do this.

1. Does anyone know how to make the wing seperate/fold with out rebuilding the wing to add a tube spar?

2. Does anyone have an idea as to the easiest way to add ailerons without adding a seperate servo for each aileron? I have some GWS Nano servos left over from another project that was rekitted.

3. I have a GWS Naro 4 channel receiver and would like to use this in the Aqua-Star. Is this a good choice or is there a better reciever for this application?

4. I have read several threads as to the best power setup for this aircraft. With the planned 6V speed 400 and 8 cell 600 AE pack, what is the best prop?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attached is a photo of my fifth Global Right Flyer. Good trainer aircraft. I did not like the factory covering so I personalized it.
Aug 26, 2002, 07:45 PM
Great Pics! I too am building an AquaStar. I went with 4 channels - added aileron.... do you have pics of how you did your aileron? How did you attach your wing floats? - with aileron...they get in the way
Also, I see you cutout the top of the fuselage former for easier battery access...anticipate any structural issues?

I carved a balsa block that covers the entire front hatch (same as yours) that I will hinge near the front. I was thinking of getting a small rubber O-Ring & routing a small channel for it then using a blind nut to secure it down & keep it waterproof.... I'll try & get some pics posted on mine....
Aug 26, 2002, 08:16 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
SirBeagle,

I have stalled on the construction of my wing until I can overcome some building difficulties. One option, the simplist, is to build the wing as one piece. The prefer to have the wing fold/disassemble into two equal pieces.

As you can see from the photos, I have not yet installed the ailerons. I have yet to resolve the issue of how to finish the wing. I may in the end, for the sake of simpicity (K.I.S.S.), build the wing as a single unit.

I plan on attaching the wing floats to a new rib cut from a sheet of hard balsa and reinforced with a block of hard bass wood. If all goes well, I will use a piece of nyrod epoxied to the new rib with another epoxied to the float strut. When attached, the float will be supported by tow guide wires. Not sure as to how this will work. Still evaluating my options and waiting for suggestions from other builders.

Attached is a photo showing the current stage of the construction for the wing.
Aug 26, 2002, 08:17 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
This photo shows use of the compass cutter on the wing ribs.
Aug 26, 2002, 08:18 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
It may be difficult to make out, but this photo shows the new hard balsa wing rib and reinforcing bass wood block for attaching the wing floats.
Aug 26, 2002, 08:34 PM
HAWK3Y3
Thread OP
Because everyone likes pictures, here is one of my Herr Piper Cub waiting for me to finish installation of radio gear and long can 400 (race 480). AUW = heavy. Hope she flies. If not, I have a Hornet .10 that I know will get her airborne.

Quick Reply