Oct 16, 2006, 05:17 PM
"Will crash for food."
Build Log

R36-SL "Speed Build" Thread

The Raptor has gone through a variety of changes in recent months as it slowly gains popularity. Recently, it was suggested that I do a build thread on the R36-SL. I've been meaning to post a build thread to assist others, but I have been a little too busy to get around to it.

I thought to myself, how can I make this interesting yet, still instructive. Then it dawned on me...Why not a "speed build" thread. So here it goes...

Starting at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow, and with the assistance of plenty of coffee and perhaps a bottle of Merlot, I will attempt to build an R36-SL from box to slope in one day. I will begin with a complete kit in the box and end with some video footage before the sun goes down (winds permitting).

I will do all of this without a net and record the adventure on this thread.

If I fail to get the plane in the air by the end of the day, I will leave town in disgrace, never to return. (Okay, that part I made up.)

See you tomorrow...I need to get my sleep.

-Paige
Last edited by PLA0242; Oct 18, 2006 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2006, 05:56 PM
Push little kitty...Push!
Sounds like fun..... Well the Merlot part.
Oct 16, 2006, 06:16 PM
Real builders build with BEER!!!!!!!!!! Merlot is for foamies!!!

Oh-- that IS a foamy??????
Hohohohohoho!!!
Oct 16, 2006, 06:17 PM
Model Bender
I'd like to see 'block of foam to slope' in one day, would make it even more interesting!

Love the shape of your alulas!
Oct 16, 2006, 06:43 PM
Raptors.. >_> Not an alula.
Oct 17, 2006, 08:19 AM
"Will crash for food."

Good Morning

6:15 AM

It is now 6:15 and it is still dark out. I've already had my first cup of coffee and splashed some water on my face.

Starting out with a couple of test pics. Forgot to calculate the time it will take to edit pics into the time I have given myself...still, IT CAN BE DONE!

Oct 17, 2006, 08:25 AM
Eh, this should be easy. Waiting for glue to dry will be the most frustrating part. The latest Raptor looks really sleek, and the carbon spar is a GREAT idea. My prototype with the plywood spars snapped the wing mid flight recently in the hands of another pilot. A full length carbon ribbon will solve that problem.

Mike
Oct 17, 2006, 08:59 AM
"Will crash for food."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman
Eh, this should be easy. Waiting for glue to dry will be the most frustrating part. The latest Raptor looks really sleek, and the carbon spar is a GREAT idea. My prototype with the plywood spars snapped the wing mid flight recently in the hands of another pilot. A full length carbon ribbon will solve that problem.

Mike
Hey Mike....Yeah, live and learn. This whole project has been a real learning experience for me. I succumb to those more knowledgable than I...

-Paige
Oct 17, 2006, 09:31 AM
"Will crash for food."

7:25 AM - Wing Preparation

Starting Cup #2...

Sub-trailing edge comes already installed.
Spar channels come already cut.

1) With a #2 pencil 7 1/2" from Right Wing Panel tip, epoxy wing panels together. Hold with fingertips. Make sure that the spar channels are aligned. Using a toothpick, remove any epoxy from channels at the root.

2) Insert Main wing spar. Make sure that it is centered and below the wing surface.

3) Insert remaining spars.

4) Check LE and Sub-TE for straightenss.

5) Apply CA every 1/2" or so. Don't use too much. it will take longer to dry and it will also wick through the wing.

6) Check for straightness and dihedral and carefully set the wing aside to dry.

Next...Some fuse work.

-P
Last edited by PLA0242; Oct 17, 2006 at 10:25 AM.
Oct 17, 2006, 09:50 AM
"Will crash for food."

7:45 - Fuse Spar - Drying

Next....

Get that third cup of coffee....It's kickin' in.

The "substantial" Fuse spar is already inserted but NOT glued.

1) Place several drops of CA along the fuse spar located under the fuse.

2) Place wing and fuse under a blow drier. CAUTION: Set the drier on med heat and on low speed. This will assist in the drying time.

-P
Oct 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
"Will crash for food."

8:30 AM - Stab Rod Housing

It is now 8:30 AM. The wife is up and will be making a fresh pot of coffee...just in time.

Now for one of the harder parts of the build....setting the stab rod housing and gluing in place.

The aluminum housing is comes already pre-aligned. It is located in the slit at the end of the fuse. The stab also comes with the Cf rod already installed.

1) Trial fit the stab into the housing. Double-check to make sure that it is aligned properly.

2) Pinching the fuse together to hold it in place, carefully remove the stab from the housing.

3) Mix up a SMALL amount of epoxy and using a toothpick, place a drop of epoxy on the center of the houssing. IMPORTANT...DO NOT GET ANY EPOXY ANYWHERE NEAR THE OPENINGS!

4) Pinch the fuse together and hold until the epoxy is cured. This takes about five minutes. I suggest that you wait for about four minutes before pinching the fuse together around the housing...pinching the fuse together for five whole minutes is not easy to do.

5) Check alignment.
Oct 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
trying to kick the habit
Closely watching....
Oct 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
"Will crash for food."

9:07 AM - Spacking the Fuse/Wing

Okay...I'm rippin' now! The coffee has taken full effect and I'm beginning to see visions...

Okay...it's spackling time.

Wing feels pretty stiff....

3) Gently sand the leading edges and the wing tips to shape.

2) Mix up a thin amount of spackle and apply it to the bottom of the wing. Once you have covered the whole wing, smooth out the spackle with long strokes that cover the entire wing. This is for uniformity.

3) Begin blow drying the bottom of the wing. I set up two blow driers at each end of the wing. Set on high with medium heat.

4) Making sure that the canopy is still pinned in, cover the fuse with a generous amount of spackle. Set it in with the wing.

5) In about 10 minutes, the bottom of the wing should be dry enough to handle. Take the wing and cover the top with a slightly thicker mixture of spackle. Smooth with long stri=okes and return to the drying room.

The fuse and wing should be drying together now.

Be sure to rotate both the wing and fuse about every 20 minutes to insure thurough drying.

-P
Oct 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
"Will crash for food."

9:50 AM - Cutting Covering - Spackle Stab

Okay...we're still pumpin'

I'm on my 6th cup of coffee and I believe I'm starting to hallucinate.

While the wing and fuse are drying, you can take advantage of the time by precutting out the covering material you will be using. I have chosen "Coverite." It is light and easy to work with.

1) Cut out both sides of the stabilizer covering material and set it aside.

2) Using the wing bed, cut out four pieces of covering to finish the wing. Be sure that you are cutting out four pieces and that each piece represents covering the top of both wing panels and the bottom of both wing panels.

4) Using spackle, fill the gaps around the CF stab rod on the stab.

-P
Oct 17, 2006, 12:11 PM
Charlie
This is a cool idea, maybe for the ssdc next year we should do a build race....