Aug 25, 2002, 11:37 PM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Thread OP

Yet another odd idea.

Just another crazy idea, not sure which forum it should go in. Interested in getting feedback, maybe a little bit of brainstorming.
How about a plane with 4 motors, two pushers and two tractors (well, two front and two back, airframe determines orientation)? You could control yaw by adjusting the left/right throttle mix, pitch by adjusting front/back, and roll by adjusting the cross pairs if two of them are counter-rotating. I dont know what kind of airframe you would use for it, maybe a flying wing, maybe put the two rear motors on the horizontal stabilizer, maybe something else?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2002, 11:59 PM
Tee Sqaured
thats a very cool idea. maby a candadate for a wally-world glider . You will need some sort of computer radio thoue, but i like the idea. if you can,give it a shot!

Thomas
Aug 26, 2002, 01:04 AM
Motor Maniac

Practical?

Doesn't sound that practical to me. 4 motors = lots of battery and speed controllers. Might be too heavy for its own good. Plus the control response probably would be slower than conventional controls. It would be an interesting proof-of-concept though.
Aug 26, 2002, 01:42 AM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Thread OP
Well four-motor planes already exist, so the weight of the batteries and the motors is not a problem. The speed controllers would be the hard part. I imagine you would need one speed controller for each motor and an ingenious combination of 3 (6?) of the speed mixers that differential thrust (two motors, yaw control only) planes use.
Aug 26, 2002, 05:33 AM
Captain Carnage says......

hmmm

something like a cessna skymaster style design with motors on the boom's comes to my mind

Belgy

Quick Reply