New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2001, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys

NiMh Storage

I have many NiMh battery packs (large and small) that will not be used for about 9 months. Should I charge or discharge them before storage? Any other storage recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2001, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
Your choice really as to whether you leave them charged or discharged. They will self-discharge over time anyway. Just give them a good cycling when you get back to freshen them up. Store them in a cool, dry place where they won't develop condensation and rust the cells. On a shelf in the house would be my suggestion.

mw
Old Jul 03, 2001, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by Mikey_Flies
I left a NiMH pack discharged over the last winter, and it is dead as a stone now. Well, almost. It will take a tiny bit of charge, quickly lose it though.
Old Jul 03, 2001, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by Jesper Reich
A guy from Panasonic once told me, that the best place to store the recharge-able cells whas in the refrigerator, because it was dark and most of all: cold.

/Jesper
Old Jul 03, 2001, 11:56 AM
BEC
Find More Posts by BEC
BEC
Interestingly, the instructions for current Schulze chargers recommend putting a partial charge back into NiMH cells, especially Panasonics, before storage. This is different than the NiCd storage regimen of storing packs discharged.

I haven't had any NiMH packs long enough to know whether this is an issue or not....
Old Jul 04, 2001, 04:30 AM
Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen
Certified Propellerhead
Quote:
Originally posted by BCawley:
Interestingly, the instructions for current Schulze chargers recommend putting a partial charge back into NiMH cells, especially Panasonics, before storage.
Two weeks ago, I was out flying my TwinJet with 8*3000 NiMH from Panasonic.
I left the two packs discharged until yesterday (which I normally never do), and now they won't take a fast charge. They generate false peaks all the time, so I had to go home again without flying as much as I would have liked to do

A slow charge overnight will save them.......... I hope.