Hunter killer Vtol EDF? - RC Groups
Oct 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
Discussion

Hunter killer Vtol EDF?

I have been thinking about making a little mini HK mini Vtol like in the movie terminator. But that will only start work on it once I finish building my F-14 tomcat. I just wanted to bounce the idea about and see what you guys thought.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried building a Vtol like the one in the movie? A duct fan on each side to provide lift ? Or what Duct fans would you guys recommend for if I was to try going ahead with this idea.

The one problem I could see is running into Weight issues but if the body was made out of foam that would cut way down on weight second would be having a battery that could put out enough juice for running two EDF’s in vtol.

This was a 3d model I did in blender to test out about size of plans.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2006, 04:21 PM
I have a heli problem...
It should be fairly easy I believe. Lots of people have been able to get RC V-22s to hover nicely. The only difference is that you are using EDFs and they were using BL outrunners with contra rotating props. I believe you could move the EDFs forwards and backwards like a V-22 and have a gyro to stabilize pitch by having it detect its leaning forward and very slightly move the motors back a bit or vice versa. You could also apply the same concept to the roll axis by using a gyro in a Y-splitter to act as a go between the throttle and the speed controllers and since ESCs are forward only just disable the brake on the ESCs and connect them. In this setup when the plane was rolling to the right the gyro would speed up the right an slightly slow down the left until it corrected itself then it would balanced again. If you are trying to get this to transition that is going to be the hardest part and only very few people have been able to get their V-22 Osprey models to transition back to hover but you could transition to normal flight from hover easier. Hope this helps.

Corinator
Oct 15, 2006, 05:15 PM
well since the EDf would not have to be pointed all the way backwards to fly forwards like a Osprey needs to be able to fly. it would only have to rotate the edfs slightly to make it move forwards like how a heli only tilts the rotar slighlty forwards to fly forwards.

I know digi key sells little tiny chip Gyro chips that are really light and a few that are smaller then a dime that are good for hobby projects. I will probly look into them.

my main problem I can see is battery weight since that will make the HK a little heavy.
also since the HK does not have wings and ability to glide and turn the speed of the engine down for slower gliding flights. it will be a constant drain on battery from take off until it landing.
Oct 15, 2006, 07:57 PM
I have a heli problem...
You mentioned not having to rotate fans all the way forward for forward flight, well I do not see how that is possible in that this is not like an airplane where there is a wing and a tailplane this aircraft has no wing and not much of a tailplane. So I believe a more feasible design would be like the small drones in T3 where they have 2 fans on the tail that each pivot individually to steer it (see picture) and you could then use 4 gyros for the aircraft. 1 gyro would be connected in a Y splitter feeding both ESCs for the 2 rear thrusters and this would control pitch so it would never pitch forward or backwards when maneuvering. So if it pitched forward the thrusters would decrease throttle and the decrease in thrust would cause the tail to drop returning the aircraft to the the home position. The second gyro would do as I previously stated in my original post and it would control roll. The third and fourth gyro would be helicopter gyros with heading lock. The third and fourth gyro would be hooked up to the servo ,that control each rear thruster's movement (forwards or backwards), so that whenever the aircraft yawed the gyro would tell the servo to move either forwards or backwards. The only difference between the setup of the third and fourth gyro would be that the fourth gyro would be placed right next to the third gyro but it would be facing the opposite direction so the 2 servos would act in different directions when the aircraft yawed making it use the same principle tank style skid steering where one track reverses and the other does not. So the computer mixing would be easy for the most part. It would require merely setting up the 2 tail servos as elevons with control throws down to like 5% and that would make the right stick on your Tx control forwards (both rear DFs thrust lines facing slightly backwards) with pushing the stick forward. Reverse (both rear DFs thrust lines facing slightly forwards) would be controlled by pulling back on the stick. Yaw to the right (left rear DF's thrust line facing slightly forwards and the opposite for the rear right) be controlled by moving the stick to the right. Yaw to the left would be the opposite of yaw to the right.

Hope this Helps
Corinator
Dec 06, 2007, 07:32 AM
Micro Addict!
Hi Guys,

I'm also interested in a micro VTOL type design and I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations on motors and fans? Ideally I'd use one EDF for vertical thrust and one for horizontal thrust. Would there be any issues with that? Assume bad ducting!

And also what radio gear is recommended to keep the weight down? Ideally there would be 5 channels involved.

If there is anyone U.K. based who knows where to acquire EDF parts without breaking the bank, then I'd love to hear from you.

Speaking of breaking the bank, this will take me a few months to acquire all the parts before I make the model but it should be cool when its done. And I'm fairly sure I've not seen any of what I've got in mind either. Could be wrong though!
Dec 06, 2007, 05:44 PM
space1
VTOLs space ship
Dec 06, 2007, 05:52 PM
Micro Addict!
Lol! Actually I was thinking of Thunderbird 2. I saw a glider model in the Sailplane thread but no lifting body varient.
Dec 06, 2007, 06:28 PM
space1
Thunderbird 2 whats this need pic
Dec 07, 2007, 07:37 AM
Micro Addict!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder...nderbird_fleet

Its the green plane. I'm not worried about having it have a detachable pod for a micro model so I was thinking of one vertically mounted EDF providing constant downward thrust and one horizontally mounted EDF powering out of the two red exhausts.
Dec 08, 2007, 05:16 PM
space1
mabey 3 vertically mounted EDF's 2 at cg 1 at tail
Dec 09, 2007, 04:00 AM
Micro Addict!
3 vertical and 1 horizontal? Thats going to make it pretty big!
Dec 09, 2007, 06:47 AM
space1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG80
3 vertical and 1 horizontal? Thats going to make it pretty big!
you mean heavy
Dec 09, 2007, 07:56 AM
Micro Addict!
Indeed! I was thinking of something very small and light. Preferably indoor. Then if it worked expand upwards for a bigger model.
Dec 09, 2007, 05:48 PM
space1
thay got30&40mm edf's. indoors would be best for test anyway. just a brife sample of fan placement line is cg
Last edited by space 1; Dec 11, 2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: cad dw
Apr 23, 2013, 12:11 PM
greetings friends
I'm looking for HUNTER KILLER planes could help me with this information from places that sell these planes or download it for free .....
since I have servo motors and rc
thanks
this is my e-mail rvfrancisco@hotmail.es

Quick Reply