Oct 11, 2006, 07:53 PM
RCAPA #14
Thread OP
Discussion

Horton Iv / Gotha Go 229

Hey Guys,

I have been reading a WWII airpower book and it made mention of the Go-229, being I wasnt familiar with this aircraft I had to get on line and check it out. I stumbled across several sites including www.luft46.com and it didnt take me long to get pretty excited about all the flying wings that were either on the drawing board or in the air.. I have decided to scratch build one of these. I ordered two XF-fans and some 5200KV motors to match up to the fans.. hobby lobby claims over 20oz of thrust from each fan so that should be more than enough for a 50"ish wing. I dont think I will attempt to put retracts in it though so this one will be a "semi scale" bird. Since I have access to a cnc foam cutter and a vacu-forming machine I dont expect too many problems (other than money) moving forward. I have only seen few referances to this bird here in the groups and I was wondering if anyone has had much success scratching this bird out?

Myron
www.rpflightsystems.com
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2006, 09:56 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
I have seen a couple built, there is one in progress on another RC forum that is near completion.
Good luck with it, the Hortens seem to gaining a sudden popularity (im working on a horten VII, with the Horten IX/229 next on the list).
Oct 12, 2006, 12:27 PM
Not sure if you can read .DXF file but here's a file on the plane your thinking of building, while not a GO it is a HO229V2.
Oct 12, 2006, 01:27 PM
RCAPA #14
Thread OP
Hey Wayne,

I am not having much luck viewing the zip but I will get it worked out... Here is the link that really got me going on this unit... Be sure to scroll down and look at the photos of the sole survivor that is in storage...

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/19...etail_hoix.htm

Myron
Oct 12, 2006, 02:25 PM
If you don't have Winzip you can get it at www.winzip.com, there are 2 .dxf files in that zip folder, if you want me to e-mail you the .dxf files direct just reply to [email protected]
Oct 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
RCAPA #14
Thread OP
Hey guys,

DHL just dropped off my EDF's just a bit ago.. I fashioned up a simple stick mount, battery wire and grabbed two jeti 40 optos.. The fans are some inexpensive ones from HL and the motors that are designed for them are 5200KV... I first ran them up individualy to make sure I had everything going the right direction then fired both of them up... I would have to give this inexpensive power combo two thumbs up!
Our watt meter is out on a search with my partner so I coudlnt get that data but they seem to pull real well. HL claims over 20oz of thrust per fan and I dont think they are telling stories.. Once Centexflyer gets back, I will post the data from the watt meter...

Myron
Oct 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
im looking at building a version powered with two GWS edf-55 fans with 4200 kv hyperion motors, should give about 600 grams of thrust between them for less than 20A
Oct 13, 2006, 11:35 AM
RCAPA #14
Thread OP
Hey Robbie,

What kind of wingspan are you going with?.. I will somewhere in the mid 50 inch range and I am targeting around 2.5lbs.

Myron
Oct 13, 2006, 06:50 PM
Trampling out the vintage
How can a wing with no yaw stabilizers (no winglets or rudder) fly?
Oct 13, 2006, 09:03 PM
RCAPA #14
Thread OP
Greg,

The sweep angle of the wings aids in stabalizing the yaw issues.. Incidently I was flying one of our old tester wings the other day and I forgot to fasten the winglets tight enough before I flew.. They both blew off and I circled one lap and landed into the wind no problem. It was a first time for that to happen to me and I thought I was doomed!

Myron
Oct 13, 2006, 10:14 PM
Living the dream
Also, Greg, the answer is: rather well if you throw enough technology at it. All you need is a bank of computers checking and adjusting your attitude 25 times a second, as in the case of the B2 and, oh yes, 2 billion dollars
For our purposes manual controls will actually work reasonably well. The flying wing of course doesn't have a conventional airplane tail, used to control pitch (up and down) and yaw (side to side) motions. Instead it uses a combination of control surfaces on the trailing edge of the wing to manouever. Some just have elevons with fine movements controlling attitude while others have elevons on the inner part of the wing with drag flaps on the outer part. It is also useful to have washout on the outer wing surfaces as this helps with stability and stall control.
The Hortens made some impressive accomplishments, but were hampered by the lack of computer assisted technology and modern materials. Their powered designs would have been difficult to control and recovery once control was lost would have comsumed alot of height. The end of the war probably saved them some embarrassment and a few test pilots their lives.

This build thread has been around for awhile:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292316

I have some quite nice vids of model Hortens flying rather well, I will see if I can dig out where I got them from.

I bought a busted up glider eliptical wing a while back for 20 bucks and rebuilt it as a Hortenesque sort of wing that I did up to look like one of their gliders, called a Parabola, if it had gone into powered production. Cheats a bit of course as it has winglets, but is really stable and very manoeuvrable.

KiwiKid
Last edited by KiwiKid; Oct 14, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Oct 14, 2006, 04:24 AM
Living the dream
Ok tracked down some vids:

this one is off a monster 4.5m 20kg turbine powered Horten IX:
http://www.drfly.de/Horten9.wmv

this site has a bunch of vids of a Horten IXish looking thing powered by hydrogen:
http://www.pozefilm.de/wh.html

this vid is of a Horten VII twin pusher prop which shows how aerobatic flying wings can be:
http://www.bibliotheksverein-owl.de/...rten%20VII.wmv

Some pics of the three wings below:
Oct 14, 2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks Myron and KiwiKid. I have studied the thread you referenced and am wondering if that one ever flew.

We are trying to build a prototype over here at 66"span for EDF

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com You need to login and go to the 'scratchbuilding' forum

and are finding test flights a bit of a challenge. It's Gary's design and build and my powerplant.
Last edited by 4 Scale; Oct 14, 2006 at 08:02 AM.
Oct 14, 2006, 03:53 PM
RCAPA #14
Thread OP
Man that tubine is freakin awesome!!!.. I am getting more and more excited about this project daily.. Mine will be more of a "stand off scale" but should be pretty close. I am still reading as much as I can find about this bird.. I mounted the two EDF's to an old set of wings I have but decide that the airfoil and shape wasnt even close so I pulled them off.. Hopefully next week I will have the cores cut and I can begin basic assembly...

Myron
Oct 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
Revelle of Germany just came out with a 1/72 scale model of this. I purchased it overseas, it is not yet avaialble in the USA. It is a very fine model and good guide if your want to make your flying model look scale.

Quick Reply