Aug 24, 2002, 10:21 AM
Vin
Vin
Thread OP

Newbie needs help

Hi Guys,

I just received my two DS-51 fans, B50-16L motors and jet / hacker 77-3p controllers. They will be powering my AW ME-262. I set everything out to start assembly of the fans and realized the esc will not fit in the tapered cones without completely cutting off the esc pigtails and soldering the motor wires directly to the esc board?? Should I do that?? I can also just solder the existing motor / esc wires together and place the controller outside the duct, no cooling airflow though?? I attached a pic of what I got here. Also, it says the the wires can be connected any combination?? How do I know which is the proper rotation so I only do this (soldering) one time.

TIA, Vin...
Last edited by Vin; Aug 24, 2002 at 10:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2002, 11:25 AM
Col.Hooligan Air Force

connection

Hi Vi
I solder the motor wires to the controller in my 262 applaction, & have found that the center wire should go to the outside for correct rotation .. do one check for rotation .
Later
Joe B
Aug 24, 2002, 12:31 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
I don't think I have any EDFs with ESCs mounted behind brushless motors. Usually mounting ESCs in that location makes for pretty long ESC to Battery leads which is a No No. I know Uncljoe gets away with some long battery leads on his ME 262, but I have smoked many a ESC everytime I tried. On my Dornier 328 jet which has the outboard jet nacelles like the 262 I placed the ESCs inside the fuse and extended the motor leads, with some airflow thru the fuse for cooling.

I think Uncljoe gets away with it because the battery leads run thru the wings and do not run parallel to each other. Another point is your Y harness from receiver to ESC will also be very long and close to the motor, a source of interference, you will have to route the receiver cable away from the ESC wires also.

If you think about and EDF and how it usually only flies for 3 to 4 minutes. You are about ready to land before the ESC starts to get HOT. Unless you are using an early Aveox system.

Just another option.

Gordon
Last edited by Plane Crazy; Aug 24, 2002 at 12:57 PM.
Aug 24, 2002, 02:33 PM
Hi Vin,

I have no experience with the DS fan but I wouldn't put my controller in the fairing for fear of overheating it from the hot motor, let alone cutting the wires very short and trying to solder them As far as rotation, pick one wire from the motor and controller solder it and cover it (heatshrink, tape etc.) then tape the others connection (motor to controller) and test run it. If it runs in reverses switch the wires and solder when done.
Aug 24, 2002, 02:36 PM
Vin
Vin
Thread OP

ECU mounting

Gordon,

I had another elec 262 and did not have a problem with the ecus in the nacelles just like Joe B. In this case though I have decided to mount the ecus in the fuse and run a third wire out to the nacelles. I already have two 12g wires to each nacelle so its no big deal to run one more. As you stated my ecu`s to rx connection will be very short too, good idea!! Also the ecus will be in a spot where some cooling air is moving thru so its a win win.

Thanks,
Vin...
Aug 25, 2002, 11:38 AM
Vin
Vin
Thread OP

problem solved

Guys,

Thanks for the idea, I mounted the controllers on the wing saddle, see pic. Today I ran the motors and schubi fans in the 262 jet. On 20, 3000hv cells I got 40-42 amps off the charger and 900+ watts. I ran the motors at full stick and they were still running when I shut them down at 5mins but the power was winding down and was at about 475 watts by then.

I have some questions.

What thrust is the DS-51 putting out at those numbers.

How much time should I start with on the test flight?? maybe 4min clock??

Thanks, Vin...
Aug 25, 2002, 11:39 AM
Vin
Vin
Thread OP

the pic

Forgot the pic on the first post.
Aug 25, 2002, 12:05 PM
EDF Head

Re: problem solved

Quote:
Originally posted by Vin
What thrust is the DS-51 putting out at those numbers.

How much time should I start with on the test flight?? maybe 4min clock??
Hey Vin.

750W => 1,3kg roughly
Have timer at 3-4min so you can go around if needed.

Hope you'll like your new setup
-Haldor
Aug 25, 2002, 02:23 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Vin-Looks really cool . One more tip. Those battery to esc leads still look pretty long. Can you move the ESCs forward on the wing any and cut some wire out. Twist each pair of battery leads all the way from the ESC to the bat connector. It will help to cancel out any induced voltage spikes. The ESC to the motor wires should also be twisted if at all possible, I know you already had two wires installed.

Can't wait to hear a flight report.

Gordon
Aug 25, 2002, 02:32 PM
Vin
Vin
Thread OP
Gordon,

I can spin the battery packs around and face them back towards the ecus and there would be a VERY short run. It would require me to pop the wing up to disconnect the packs though. Not a big deal. My first 262 had 30" battery wires running all the way from the nose to the nacelle, did not twist them and saw zero problems so this setup "looks" short to me!! Will test fly probably Tuesday am. Very hot out here after about 9:00am.

I ran the 20 cell 3000hv packs today and got some seroius power out of the B50-16L motors and Schubi fans. The 900watts seemed plenty to get airborne and the sanyos settled down to about 850+ for quite some time before getting into to 700`s. Should be enough to fly a hot dog cart!!
I just "touched" the throttles during a taxi test today and the jet shot down the street and almost got away from me. Instant POWER!!
Vin...
Last edited by Vin; Aug 25, 2002 at 03:00 PM.
Aug 27, 2002, 02:22 PM
EDF Head
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Cox
I have no experience with the DS fan but I wouldn't put my controller in the fairing for fear of overheating it from the hot motor, let alone cutting the wires very short and trying to solder them
Overheatin should not be much of a consern because the Schubi motorhousing is 4mm larger in diameter compared to the spinner/rotorhub diameter. That way the motorhousing (with its LE rounded) act as an intake providing airflow inside the housing/fairing.
Aug 27, 2002, 05:04 PM
Vin
Vin
Thread OP

DS-51 housing

Hi Haldor,

I got it right this time!! You are correct about the fan housing, its larger to let some cooling air pass over the motor and the esc if you choose to mount it back there. I could not fit my Master/ Hacker 77-3p esc in there so I believe I made a better choice to mount them in the fuse and extend the 3 wires out to the motor. Like I said in my other post all went well on the test flights today so what I did worked, no problems.

Vin...
Aug 27, 2002, 05:45 PM
EDF Head

Re: DS-51 housing

Quote:
Originally posted by Vin
I could not fit my Master/ Hacker 77-3p esc in there so I believe I made a better choice to mount them in the fuse and extend the 3 wires out to the motor.
Hi Vin.
Yes I understand fully - I saw your current setup pic'd here on the Wzone and it should do the trick. My post was more directed to Kevin than to you though
Kevin and me chatted a little over the pricediff. between the Midifan and Schubi (70 vs 200bucks) and I just wanted to point out were atleast some of that difference went

I'm glad you have found a setup that worked better than your previous one. The fan efficiency really add to the result doesnt it ?

Happy flying!
Haldor
Aug 27, 2002, 09:00 PM

Re: Re: DS-51 housing

Quote:
Originally posted by Haldor

My post was more directed to Kevin than to you though
Kevin and me chatted a little over the pricediff. between the Midifan and Schubi (70 vs 200bucks) and I just wanted to point out were atleast some of that difference went

Got it Haldor! After reading Vin's flight report I'm almost ready to buy one myself....ALMOST!
Aug 28, 2002, 02:06 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread - sorry for being late.

I've got 60+ flights on the MiG with the esc in the fairing, and there's no sign of overheating the esc. However, in a twin with wing-mounted motors, I'd locate the escs in the fuz per Gordon and Vin.

The pic shows how I fit the Schulze Future 55bo into the fairing; the motor wires pass under the esc and plug in at the rear of the esc. The esc capacitors are almost touching the rear of the motor, and to prevent any risk of a short-circuit between the motor and capacitor cases, I've stuck a piece of insulation tape over the end of each capacitor.

Regarding fitting wider escs, I did ask Daniel and he recommended cutting clearance slots in the fairing - adding that these would add more cooling as well!

Gordon

Quick Reply