Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 10, 2006, 08:38 AM
Discussion

Country Bans R/C imports: This won't help us....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061010/...JLUiPMEo2s0NUE

Quote:
A new threat: remote-controlled toys

COLOMBO (Reuters) - Sri Lanka has banned imports of remote-controlled toy cars, boats and planes because of fears Tamil Tiger rebels could use them as bombs, a senior military official said Tuesday.

"You get remote-controlled planes and cars which can be operated on the road. If it gets into the wrong hands, they can bring a small toy, send it underneath a vehicle and blast it," the official said on condition of anonymity.

"Two to three kilograms (4.4 to 6.6 lb) of explosives can go in one of those cars without any problem," he added. "This can pose a threat. The LTTE are desperate today... There is no telling what they could do. They could make use of some of this equipment."

However, while imports have been banned, existing stocks of remote-controlled toy cars are still readily available on supermarket shelves in central Colombo.

The ban comes during a new chapter of Sri Lanka's two-decade civil war and after a spree of roadside bomb attacks and clashes that have killed hundreds of troops, civilians and rebel fighters since late July.

Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels were not immediately available for comment on the toy ban, which the official said would be a temporary measure.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hmm, if it was me I think I'd be focussing on the EXPLOSIVES rather than the rc toys.
Oct 10, 2006, 01:34 PM
To me, it's just common sense for a country in their situation. Part of the problem with R/C is that the vehicle is far separate from the hands of the person at the controls, and the range can put it out of sight. With the availability of explosives, even gasoline, what is essentially a toy can be weaponized to cause damage at a distance that's safe for the operator. It is best to control both the availability of explosives, and the potential delivery vehicle.

NorfolkSouthern
Oct 10, 2006, 01:50 PM
turn, turn, turn.
That's Ok for them. Not for the USA. We are free here.Free to do what we wish. Also freedom means we must accept the consequences of our actions. That's why we have the law, and the police force to deal with lawbreakers.
Oct 10, 2006, 02:19 PM
Modeller Dilettante
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
That's Ok for them. Not for the USA. We are free here.Free to do what we wish...
Hey dude, your country banned TOOTHPASTE from airliners due to similar perceived threats.
Oct 10, 2006, 02:22 PM
Given up counting
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusj
Hey dude, your country banned TOOTHPASTE from airliners due to similar perceived threats.
LOL
Oct 10, 2006, 02:37 PM
Just remember that terrorists bombs transported on vehicles in the past such as those used in the Oklahoma City bombing, the first bombing of the World Trade Center and the event in Saudia Arabia with the Army barracks were all bombs that weighed thousands of pounds and were transported on heavy commercial trucks. There may be some theoretical risk from RC toys, but there are several orders of magnitude difference in payload capacity between a Slow Stick and a moving van.
Oct 10, 2006, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Having just completed a long overseas trip (US-Singapore-Taiwan-US) I think most countries don't care. PU stinkybreath.
Oct 10, 2006, 03:43 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
For good reason I'm sure.
Taking things on an airplane is different than banning something altogether. You can still buy toothpaste here.
The big grin is to show what we do with it! lol
Oct 10, 2006, 05:29 PM
Sloping off....
Quote:
Absolutely 100% spot on.
Oct 10, 2006, 05:34 PM
R/C Addict for Life!!
No, they banned toothpaste and the like from CARRY ON LUGGAGE............not from checked baggage....or the plane all together....huge difference. Lets remember what the terrorists were trying to do......mix them AFTER they were already on the plane. And I dont think the U.S. was the only country to have these bans..........seems I went to another country very close to mine, on the north border.....who had the same rules.

D
Last edited by Darryl Miller; Oct 10, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
Oct 10, 2006, 06:35 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Absolutely 100% spot on.
I don't think so Tim.
Oct 10, 2006, 07:18 PM
RC Bum
Quote:
Bottled water is STILL banned...unless you buy it in the airport for $3 a bottle, of course. Guaranteed not to explode at those prices.

Eric
www.ke6us.com
Oct 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Miller
No, they banned toothpaste and the like from CARRY ON LUGGAGE............not from checked baggage....or the plane all together....huge difference. Lets remember what the terrorists were trying to do......mix them AFTER they were already on the plane. And I dont think the U.S. was the only country to have these bans..........seems I went to another country very close to mine, on the north border.....who had the same rules.

D
They went a little crazy with these bans, turns out the average Ph.D. chemist would take hours to do what the terrorists supposedly were trying to do, and still would probably fail in an airplane. And precidence shows that if you spend too long in the bathroom, they turn the plane around and land, so the terrorists wouldn't have gotten away with it anyway.
Oct 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
Aim to Misbehave
I suggest all you guys who ban guns,have national healthcare(what a joke!)and have become Dhimmis are jealous of our freedoms,Semper Fi!,
Bob