Nov 07, 2014, 09:45 PM
I'm looking at the MicroMoth plans. What servos to use, and where to put them?
John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2014, 10:23 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harris
John
The Micro moth was designed around magnetic actuators, not servos.
I would think that if built with the equipment available now it would be better to use one of the "bricks" from a Vapor or Ember.

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 10, 2014, 11:30 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harris
John
Note that the wing tip shape in the plan is backward. It flies just fine when built that way.
Nov 10, 2014, 04:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Revised plans with wings corrected are here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=135
Nov 24, 2014, 09:18 AM
I have found some ultra-micro 1.7g servos, but I still do not know where to put them. I'm thinking maybe the front cockpit.
John
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...c_0_075kg.html
Nov 24, 2014, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=John Harris;30026527]I have found some ultra-micro 1.7g servos, but I still do not know where to put them. I'm thinking maybe the front cockpit.
John

Probably a good idea! When I built this model and the micro pitts, they both seemed to need the gear pretty far forward. With the pitts I had to mount the battery almost under the prop in order to come up with proper cg.
Nov 25, 2014, 07:16 PM
Really tempted to build one of these with a minivapor brick and cub motor. Does anyone have a flight report on one?
Sep 10, 2019, 01:45 PM
I know this thread has been gathering dust over the years, but I want to get back into RC flying after being away of it for a few years. I have access to a laser cutter and I thought it would be nice to cut a Micromoth on it. The plans in the thread are in PDF, so I was wondering if someone has a vector version of the plans he/she wants to share...

- Niels
Sep 10, 2019, 02:30 PM
Senior to who? Member
PDFs are vector by default but can contain bitmap graphics so I'd start with something like INKSCAPE(its free) to see what you are dealing with.

It is possible to convert and contrary to popular opinion you can do excellent conversions with the right software and settings. Auto Tracing bitmaps to convert is a feature of many graphics programs, I use Adobe products for that

Edit: this seemed familar and sure enough, looking thru my pile of rejects I see I tried laser cutting it in depron. The cutting worked fine but depron just did not want to bend into the required radius to my satifaction. That said, MANY years ago I did hand cut one in balsa and it was quick and easy being such a small model. Ultimately the plane is not fly well as I used too much water based paint and could not fix the wing warps, and that was back in the day when Plantraco was the gear of choice and KP drives so while the actuators were light, the motor/gearbox was NOT so even without warping it was always doomed to be marginal flier.

ANYWAY, I'm busy getting ready to attend a weekend fly in 3 states away so I wont have time to dig thru my PC to find my cut files BUT if you cant get it done on your own with what I've mentioned, PM me in a week and I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NielsR
I know this thread has been gathering dust over the years, but I want to get back into RC flying after being away of it for a few years. I have access to a laser cutter and I thought it would be nice to cut a Micromoth on it. The plans in the thread are in PDF, so I was wondering if someone has a vector version of the plans he/she wants to share...

- Niels
Last edited by crossup; Sep 10, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
Sep 10, 2019, 04:48 PM
Remember how "computers' were widely Hyped as 'time and work savers' ?
Faster easier IMO to Print the pdf's.. Glue stick the patterns to 1/32 Balsa and then use a # 11 blade . Dampen the paper patterns and they peel off the cut out parts easily and cleanly..
Prolly a max 1/2 hour time frame, truth be told.
Also zero headaches trying to get it to work
Sep 11, 2019, 03:54 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.

Reminded me of mine.

My very first indoor micro. KP-00 power with a RFFS-100 RX and BIRD style actuators. Cannibalized the electronics for other projects, but the airframe has been safely tucked away.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:42 PM
Senior to who? Member
Very nice Tom, given what a quick and easy build they are and my surplus of 1/32 wood I should have built another one for NEAT but alas its too late(less than 12 hrs to departure)
Sep 12, 2019, 01:42 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Niel,
the revised pdf I posted above has been done as vectors so go for it.

Quick Reply