Oct 09, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thread OP
Download

Simple Profile Propjets ....all sorts..... SU27/Eagle/f22/SU37

Here are some plan drawings for my versions of the su27 or Eagle, F22 and SU37

They are originaly based on the ikarus shocky....post no....5

Construction has been kept as simple as possible, all flat sheet, all joints are straight edge to surface, no tricky tongue and slots.
The more up to date models have been updated with the KF wing section...The flat plate earlu SU27 and Eagle both flew well but my preference now is for a KFm4 wing section..... the KFm2 is also good, and both KF sections have advantages over the simple flat plate wing build

27" spanIve been making these is various sizes ... from an indoor micro SU37 which flies at 98gms on a 5gm motor ...up to a big F22 which is 36" in span and runs on 600W..... that one is a rocket !

Performance is excellent using all the cheapest bits I could find
...revised COG for first safe flight...for the 24" SU and the Eagle ..is 4-4 1/2 inches, measured forward from the aileron hinge line/ CF mian spar
For the bigger F22 6.5" in front of the hinge line works a treat

27" span....f22 model ..... video..
F22 raptor KFm4 session 2 (3 min 26 sec)

36" span ..F22 Model...video
Big'n propjet on the go (5 min 13 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Jan 20, 2015 at 04:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2006, 08:32 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Where???? We Love Cheap ... but dislike the meaningless commercial word ..."Shocky" ..
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 09, 2006, 08:40 AM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
It must be really fast because I can't even see it.............

JAM
Jason
Oct 09, 2006, 06:28 PM
Still waking up above dirt!!
I bet these plans would have been good?? Maybe??
Oct 10, 2006, 07:16 AM
Thread OP
sorry about that my uploading ran out of time and had to go back to work
had them in wrong format as well
here they are.
sorry if you dont like the shocky name, but coined by ikarus, not me,
mind you it does come as a shock how well these flat foam designs perform.

Please see the end of the thread for new plans drawn using google sketchup
Last edited by davereap; Nov 18, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
Oct 10, 2006, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
here are some small undecorated pics and the build info SU27 at 24" span for the blue wonder motor
Last edited by davereap; Nov 11, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Oct 10, 2006, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
here are some of the finished plane
Oct 10, 2006, 07:36 AM
ohhhhh pretty

I might need to make just to look at it, hehehe
Oct 10, 2006, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
There are two mods from my flying version

and it flys better than it looks ...thanks

1 the elevators should be lengthened towards the tail pipes to give more area in the prop flow
2 the two rear outer fuzes need a carbon rod reinforcing them along their length along the inside of the fuz where the fuz is glued to the wing/tail

I found that out by hitting a soccer cross bar with my tail, there is a weak area by the prop cut out where the fuz can rip. must admit though the plane was still flying ok and I only noticed the damage later

please read the info text for more usefull bits

I know there are other versions similar to this but ive tried to simplify the cutting. you only need to stick to the basic sizes, measure them out, without the need of a full size plan, all joins are straight edge to surface with uhu POR
and tape reinforcement, dont worry about the weight mine came in at about 8.5oz but up to 12 will still be ok, you will only loose vertical performance but you get less affected by wind speed
Last edited by davereap; Oct 10, 2006 at 07:54 AM.
Oct 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
Outstanding concepts! I think these will go ahead of the full fuse pusher jets already underway due to their less complex and thus quicker construction. Do you plan to post the F-15 plan as well? Thanks for the projects dave.
Mike
Oct 10, 2006, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Sorry mike,
My plan naming is not clear enough, the f15 plans are on the su plan drawings, the differences are only in outline shapes, the f15 outline differences are in red.
Neither plane is too accurate for true scale outlines, but they look jet like enough for it not to matter.
you might like to check out stringfly's SU version. he has a 24"su.pdf with which you can print out a set of parts. this is an enlargement of the ikarus product.
My version is much modded for simple cutting and the ability to take bigger props
Make the fuzes as wide apart as suits you, just adjust their length to reach the leading edge of the wing at that width.
Alter the fuze depths as well if you like.
If you keep the basic wing, horizontal body and tailplane shapes as they are, the rest can be modded without worry

What full fuz design are you making? one of jetsets? These really are excellent, but do take more building and are quite a bit larger
Last edited by davereap; Oct 10, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
Oct 10, 2006, 03:14 PM
I guess i should have paid attention better to what i down-loaded!!!! DOH!!!! Thanks again Dave!!
Oct 10, 2006, 04:56 PM
Hack of all trades...
Davereap:
Thanks for the info, nice looking plane by the way.

What motor/battery/prop would you recommend?
Oct 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Looks great Dave I'll hook it up in the list...........

JAM
Jason
Oct 11, 2006, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Spanky
Davereap:
Thanks for the info, nice looking plane by the way.

What motor/battery/prop would you recommend?
my recommendations are in the info file
I was using a cdrom type of motor bought for £15. from YT intenational.

its now available for £7.95 from robot birds.co (1300kv version)
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1787

It is light weight and very powerfull, I use an 11.1v 1000 lipo, a gws8x4 speed (not slow fly) prop cut down by 10mm each tip. gives 9000 revs 12oz+ thrust at less than 5A.
The plane flies easy at 1/2 throttle and just over 1/2 throttle gives 8 1/2 oz thrust.

crusing arround I get 20min+ flights. Full power gives better performance in windy conditions

dont worry too much, use whatever you have, axi2208/34, bell type21, hyperon. all should perform ok. Just adjust width of rear body to allow for the prop size you use or stick with an gws 8x4 or cut down prop version

I am all for using the cheap gear.. plenty of good cheap motorsand batteries on ebay or find one at a show..

dont worry about adding more weight

In the construction use plenty of 2" packing tape, clear if you are painting or coloured like mine if you want it bright
tape reinforce all joins,I use 1" clear for this, leading edges, bottom of fuzes
The tape put top and bottom of the wing makes the depron stiffer and less likely to be damaged. I use tape hinges full width on the ailerons and elevators,top and bottom again

heres a pic of the motor and another of my designs showing how much tape you can use
Last edited by davereap; Dec 11, 2007 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply