Aug 23, 2002, 02:30 PM
Thread OP

Figure 8's or Fly-around's?

Weather permitting I will be starting FF tommorow. I just wanted to get you opinion on what I should try first. Figure eights or Fly arounds. I can hover pretty solidly. I'm still a little shaky with the right side of the heli facing me. But it's comig along.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2002, 01:04 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
I find figure 8's more comfortable for me to do. I think learning nose in first would help flying in circle.

Stephen
Aug 24, 2002, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
I don't plan to do anything that will cause the nose to face me. I'll do my circles with me in the middle.
Aug 24, 2002, 10:04 AM
Can you piro? If so just stop the Heli at 180* leave it there as long as you can stand then abort, finish the piro. Get used to see the Heli facing you and using the tail. It's a mental thing, you know you can do it, but your back pocket won't let you.
Aug 24, 2002, 10:17 AM
Powered by ThunderPower
Quote:
I don't plan to do anything that will cause the nose to face me.
Sounds familiar . I learned to do circuits and fly around my Eco8 in FFF before learning nose-in. Although I would not recommend this to anyone, my desire to really fly the helicopter was overwhelming after tail-in and side hovering was mastered.

In case the nose does face you try not to panic and gently get the tail facing back to you. This is where my previous fixed wing experience helped with regards to the orientation of the helicopter during FF.

With time and practice I learned nose-in by sloooowly flying the helicopter towards me from a far away distance. I would try and bring it in slower and slower until eventually hovering.

I never tried flying my helicopter in circles with me in the middle. I mean, I can do it now... but I never tried it during my learning curve. Sounds like a great idea. Another idea would be to start by hovering, then moving a few feet forward, hover, move forward, hover.. turn around and do the same thing with the heli facing you sideways. Increase the gaps between FF and hover as you learn.

Getting the helicopter into FF is relatively easy.... transitioning back into a hover from FF can get tricky when you are learning. The hover, forward, hover, forward method will help you with this. I'm telling you, there were times where I couldn't stop my helicopter from circling around the field! There usually was no wind to help me slow it down. Frustrating.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Chachin..
Aug 24, 2002, 03:52 PM
Nose-in is not that difficult if you start on a slick floor with taining gear that can easily slide. I have the plastic wiffles balls on my training gear. Just like tail-in I would practice nose-in keeping the heli from moving from a spot while gradually lifting it off. With a slick floor (warhouse at work) like a gym wood floor, you don't even have to leave the ground to practice controlling the heli by keeping it from sliding.

I can do 1020 degree piro now using this method. The 90 degree sideways is still giving me a fit because you really can't see the roll axis well. But I went back to work and started to do the same thing of just barely lifting off the ground while maintaining my spot position.

Nose-in is atually easier than 90 degree sideways.

Forward flight is not so important if you can't control the heli in all atitudes.

My 8 and 10 year old kids learned how to hover this way as well as co-workers.

My 2 cents

Victor
Aug 24, 2002, 06:08 PM
To this day I find left side hovering the most difficult with right side easier. Tail in is easiest and nose in next.

I have a hard time with nose in slow flight with the heli at eye level. Speed is hard to judge and its more like move-hover-move etc. maneuver.

Realflight has helped me a lot and I spend more time using it than actual flying.

Hank
Aug 25, 2002, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the help and ideas. Turns out I just tried both. I found that neither were harder than the other just different. I also tried a coupel of FFF circles in front of me. Let's just say it was interesting. I'm defenately going to have to get some nose in hovering under my belt before I try anything beyond figure eights. It was tons a fun though. Thanks again.

Quick Reply