Humuhumunukunukuapua‘a! - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2006, 10:23 PM
Free as a bird now.
Discussion

Humuhumunukunukuapua‘a!

I am the new custodian of Bill L's Humu PSS sloper molds.

When I first saw the picture of Ray h's plane, and found out it was called the Huma, I was instantly reminded of the Hawaiian state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua‘a.

(Hoo-moo-hoo-moo-new-koo-new-koo-ah-poo-ah-ah). If you can't say the whole word, it's also known as the Humu-humu for short. If you can't say that, it's also known as a trigger fish.

Anyway, I was thinking to myself that when I build a Huma, I'm going to call it the Humu Humu, and maybe even paint it to match.

I was surprised when I got a PM from Bill that said there is a guy building a Huma to look like the triggerfish the Huma is named after! Whoa. I had no idea that the "Huma" is supposed to be a HUMU already.

Anyway, I have the mold and I'm getting ready to layup some fuses.

Here's a picture of the Humuhumunukunukuapua‘a Hawaiian trigger fish, and a picture of Ray's Huma. There's kind of a family resemblence.
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Oct 08, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2006, 10:30 PM
Free as a bird now.
Before I layup any parts, I'm going to have to restore the molds a little. There are some serious chips around the edges, and several pit holes in the mold surface.

Bill suggested filling the bad spots with modeling clay before adding PVA, and then go ahead and make parts. That would probably work just fine for a part or two, but I'd really like to apply a permanent fix. I'm thinking bondo or epoxy/cabosil, and then sanding down the surface and corners as cleanly as possible after that.

If anyone has some ghood mold restoration techniques, please post them. I've never repaired a mold before.

Bill also sent me a template for a thinned and flattened "Fermin sled" airfoil. It should work well for the Humu Humu.
Oct 07, 2006, 10:57 PM
Knowledge increases life's FOV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
If anyone has some ghood mold restoration techniques, please post them. I've never repaired a mold before.
It all depends on what you need to achieve... but, I'm going to assume that you just need/want to perform some repairs that help make it close, but that it does not need to be perfect... particularly if you do not have the plug(s).

If that is the case, then...

1) Carefully grind the inside of the voids. I like to use the LiPo Dremel and coarse carbide bit. You just want to roughen the inside surface.

2) Tape the inside of the void with some tape that conforms well, yet has enough body to hold the curvature as it bridges the void, and the tape needs to seal to the inside of the mold well.

3) Mix up some laminating resin. Optionally: I mix a little bit of 1/32" milled FG, but just a bit -- you want it to pour well.

4) Pour the laminating resin in the void behind the tape. Try to pour a very thin stream that falls into the bottom of the void and fills it up. If you use clear tape and see bubbles, poke them with a toothpick or small wire. It is good the repair has just a little crown; you can wet sand it flush with the flange after it cures later.

You can do the same thing with really runny polyester finishing filler (when the filler is new it is typically quite runny).
Last edited by Sled Driver; Oct 07, 2006 at 11:18 PM.
Oct 07, 2006, 11:00 PM
bondo...
Oct 07, 2006, 11:22 PM
Free as a bird now.
I like Jay's idea. The tape keeps the filler material inside the pit that needs to be filled, and it also prevents a mess around the pit that needs to be sanded off. I'll give it a try!
Oct 07, 2006, 11:44 PM
Watching the Aneometer
That plane is a beaut, I would be honored to get a fuse and it would call home Grass Mtn.
Oct 07, 2006, 11:45 PM
Need 4 Speed!
I was going to suggest exactly what Sled Driver said.

Why isn't the wingsaddle cut out from the mold to enable you to join the halves in the mold? If Bill will let you maybe you should consider doing this too. Joining the parts in the mold will drastically improve the quality of the final part.
Oct 07, 2006, 11:47 PM
just CHUCK it!
Love those sleek racy looking planes. Good luck with it Brian and if you make any extra fuses I'll send cash!!!!! (seriously)

Mahalo, Dan.................
Oct 08, 2006, 12:00 AM
Detail Freak
The Fermin guys are "low tech", Bret, mostly...
But it gets the job done, and is simple....

T
Oct 08, 2006, 01:55 AM
characters welcome!
Parlez vous "Huma Huma"?

Great lines!

mw
Oct 08, 2006, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
I was going to suggest exactly what Sled Driver said.

Why isn't the wingsaddle cut out from the mold to enable you to join the halves in the mold? If Bill will let you maybe you should consider doing this too. Joining the parts in the mold will drastically improve the quality of the final part.

I would not cut the wing saddle out of an old polyester mold. They can warp real bad once the flange is cut. I did on on a couple of my older molds and they twisted so badly that they were almost not useable. It's an old school mold, make and old school fuse!

TFLG
Oct 08, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hey Brian
I dont mind if mine has a few holes in it ill fill when i get it thanks Ian
Oct 08, 2006, 03:26 PM
Here's the Huma Huma I/we (Steve 50%, John 40%, SocalBill 10%) built. It fly's great you'll like it.
Oct 08, 2006, 04:22 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
I would not cut the wing saddle out of an old polyester mold. They can warp real bad once the flange is cut. I did on on a couple of my older molds and they twisted so badly that they were almost not useable. It's an old school mold, make and old school fuse!

TFLG

I store my molds clamped together and have never had the problem of warping b/c of an openning in the wing saddle. With that said, I hope you do a complete build thread Brian.
Oct 08, 2006, 04:31 PM
Frigate
Is this the same Brian who keeps spelling Maluhia, ..........Mulahia??

(Insert devilish laughter here.)
Sorry Brah............................I couldn't resist.
Sweet looking plane........does look like a HumuHumu

Dave