Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 07, 2006, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Video

Fiddler's Green Dr1 foamy

This is a Fokker Dr1 built from Fiddler's Green paper model plans.

Powered by a GWS 350 w/C gearing and a 9070 prop.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2006, 07:16 PM
Suspended Account
Very nice. Really liked the way you started right at the camera.

Will
Oct 07, 2006, 10:19 PM
Cute plane, nice video

How much did you scale it up?

The first plane I built as a kid was a P40 that I got for a Wheaties box top and 25 cents. Like the Fiddler's Green planes it was paper and it flew very well. (Or so it seemed to me at the time.)

Pete
Oct 08, 2006, 12:56 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
Cute plane, nice video

How much did you scale it up?

The first plane I built as a kid was a P40 that I got for a Wheaties box top and 25 cents. Like the Fiddler's Green planes it was paper and it flew very well. (Or so it seemed to me at the time.)

Pete
Thanks for the kind words, Will and Pete...it's a fun plane to fly. I scaled it with tileprint to a 30 inch wingspan (top wing). I'd tried a smaller one a few months ago...and it was a handful.

I missed the P40...being a Rice Crispies man, the only flying toy I ever got on a boxtop was Mighty Mouse.
Oct 08, 2006, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaltitude
[snip]
I missed the P40...being a Rice Crispies man, the only flying toy I ever got on a boxtop was Mighty Mouse.
You were probably born too late. I think I made my first one in 1944, and they appeared very sporadically every now and then, never for boxtops and 25 cents though.

I found a few on the internet a while back, but I just did a search and they don't seem to be there anymore.

Key words would be "Jack Armstrong" as well as Wheaties and airplane.

Jack Armstrong was a radio show that advertised Wheaties.

Edit!!!!!!

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/airplanes/index.html

Found 'em, and they seem to be free.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 08, 2006 at 07:21 AM.
Oct 08, 2006, 10:27 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
a real beauty BA .. may have to try one ..
Oct 08, 2006, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
You were probably born too late. I think I made my first one in 1944, and they appeared very sporadically every now and then, never for boxtops and 25 cents though.
Yeah Pete...I checked your profile...you have several years of cereal boxes on me. I also read of your experiments with pilot's eye view video. Sounds great. I'm off to see if you've posted any...

Quote:
a real beauty BA .. may have to try one ..
Thanks, Vyceroy... the little rascal really flies nicely with the non-scale dihedral added to the top wing...I still have that allergic reaction to ailerons.
Oct 08, 2006, 05:28 PM

great video

Bad :
That was a great vedio and I liked the music even better. I played it over about 5 times.

By the way, I have many of the Wheaties planes saved on my hard drive.

Built my first one during WW II. The only ones I flew back then were the

P40 and the Zero. I built the P39 but I couldn't get the penny in the nose.

As I remember, you got one free on the box it self. It only cost you money if you sent for the 3 pack.

-----73 Ron

Who had the money back then?
Oct 08, 2006, 07:11 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Thanks, dinsoar...

I found the Koopman models online a couple of years ago while looking for paper model plans for RC building...I read their history but didn't expect to run into anyone who had seen them when originally released. I asked my dad (born in 1933 and also an aviation enthusiast) about them and he couldn't remember ever seeing a paper model that didn't have a balsa frame...
Oct 08, 2006, 07:29 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Being ancient you guys might remember Rigbys planes .. .. a very nice set of paper models offered in the 40s
Oct 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
Being ancient you guys might remember Rigbys planes .. .. a very nice set of paper models offered in the 40s
Koopman used to have them on his site, but found out they were still in copyright so he took them off.

I downloaded them once upon a time and they are probably in a hard disk somewhere. They were line drawings that you had to color yourself if I remember right. I never tried making one, and so far I haven't tried any of the originals either. I need a good color printer.

Back in the late sixties or early seventies I got a Zero and P40 from someplace and made xeroxes and I still have those someplace. I'd love to get the spitfire. I remember that as being very nice.

Pete
Oct 12, 2006, 06:49 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
i have all of those on my comp .. i downloaded them back in the day .. some colored some not .. very nice stuff for the time
Oct 12, 2006, 06:54 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
if anyone would like one just send me a Private message with your email in it

Quick Reply