Oct 07, 2006, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Yippee!

The F5D Demon has Flown

After approximately 30 hours of building, this little baby has flown!!!

I put a really tame setup in there!!

Hacker B40 12S
APC 4.75x4.75
Evo 3S1P 2150 20C
Jeti advance plus 70

The maiden was uneventful expect for the hot landing...still trying to figure out the best setting for the butterfly. But boy does she hold lots of energy and floats and floats.....The snap flaps really make her turn on a dime with very little loss of speed.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2006, 07:53 AM
Congratulations! Did you have videocameraman to film the maiden?

E
Oct 07, 2006, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
Nope, no video cam......but i did smoke 2 sticks of cigerettes after i landed.....and i dont smoke!!! My co pilot kept telling me to calm down after the flight as he could still see my hands shaking after the maiden.

Anyway...after 5 flights...Im beginning to get a better feel of this bird.
Oct 07, 2006, 09:58 AM
Ah remember the same kind of behaviour when I had first F5D flights. Sad but you do get used with speed and then there is no shaking, unfortunately

Esa
Oct 08, 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Congratulations with your maiden,and yes you get used to the speed and then you want only to fly faster and faster.

Succes Ruud
Oct 08, 2006, 07:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ruud!! She flies and tracks very well.

Yesterday I did 3 more flights with her. At the recommended throw for Aileron at 5mm up and 4mm down, the roll rate is jus about right, not too fast. So I decided to try mixing with the flaps for a full span aileron.....WOW....now she rolls very fast.

What amazes me is how little power you need to make it go fast. The airframe is very efficient!!!
Oct 08, 2006, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungho
After approximately 30 hours of building, this little baby has flown!!!

I put a really tame setup in there!!

Hacker B40 12S
APC 4.75x4.75
Evo 3S1P 2150 20C
Jeti advance plus 70

The maiden was uneventful expect for the hot landing...still trying to figure out the best setting for the butterfly. But boy does she hold lots of energy and floats and floats.....The snap flaps really make her turn on a dime with very little loss of speed.
Congratulations on maiden.

I have one on order from Rudd. Can't wait to get it. What servos did you use in the wing???

Rudd when will I get the beast??

Cheers

Mav
Oct 09, 2006, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Hi MAv,

I used OK Model S1809 which are identical twins to the Dymond D60 Servos. Even then they do stick out from the wing some but the servo covers do cover them. I used Hitec 65MG for the elevator

Use the arm thats already on the servos and use the the inner most hole of the arm. 1.2mm dia wire will make great push rods. Be careful when you open up the servo bays, start with a small hole on the middle of the bay and then open up the hole slowly to locate the Main and Sub spars. I was too adventerous with the first bay and I accidentally cut into the sub spar. Some epoxy fixed the mistake.

So far the build techniques demonstrated by Florrain on the Jibe build log applies exactly to the Demon build. Thank You Florrain.
Oct 09, 2006, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungho
Hi MAv,

I used OK Model S1809 which are identical twins to the Dymond D60 Servos. Even then they do stick out from the wing some but the servo covers do cover them. I used Hitec 65MG for the elevator

Use the arm thats already on the servos and use the the inner most hole of the arm. 1.2mm dia wire will make great push rods. Be careful when you open up the servo bays, start with a small hole on the middle of the bay and then open up the hole slowly to locate the Main and Sub spars. I was too adventerous with the first bay and I accidentally cut into the sub spar. Some epoxy fixed the mistake.

So far the build techniques demonstrated by Florrain on the Jibe build log applies exactly to the Demon build. Thank You Florrain.
Cheers for info.

Do you have a website for the servos "OK Model S1809 which are identical twins to the Dymond D60 Servos"

We do not have either servos here in Australia!!!

Mav
Oct 09, 2006, 06:25 AM
For info:

On the Jibe, we now use the D44MG digi servo which is so small that it doesn't protrude at all from the wing surface.

I'm pretty sure this would also work on the Demon and would help reduce the drag further more.
Oct 09, 2006, 06:43 AM
How about the durability with those tiny servos with MG (Metal Gears). Have some kind of memory that they wear out quicker and there will be some play..... Although my left aileon D60 has also some play from inside the servo (you feel it but do not see it), I may have to change it if play will become bigger. Just wondering how to remove it from the wing, I glued it with 5min epoxy
Oct 09, 2006, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
Hi Florrain,

I could not find the D44MG Servos on the Dymond Website. Where can I get them from?

Regards

Dennis
Oct 09, 2006, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
Hi Mav,

You can mail order the D60 Servos from http://www.rc-dymond.com.

Or from Singapore, you can mail order the OK Model S1809 from Singapore Hobby Supplies at http://www.singahobby.com/ele10.html

Regards
Oct 09, 2006, 04:21 PM
Hi Mav,

Your Demon is on its way to australia,it should be there this week.

Thanks ruud
Oct 09, 2006, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud zandvliet
Hi Mav,

Your Demon is on its way to australia,it should be there this week.

Thanks ruud
Yea!!!

Thanks Rudd.

I look forward to model.

What servos do you recomend Rudd for wing???

Mav

Quick Reply