Oct 24, 2006, 03:23 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat
Ive printed your plans and right now Im in the process of building it out of 6mm depron. I'll have to post some pics when finished.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2006, 01:34 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Thread OP
Welcome to RCGroups dude .

This baby will be great with 6mm depron ...all pics appreciated

Bo, Anything that'll give you 15oz thrust will be fine for a fine aerobatic parky. My aero came out at about 12oz and the Axi 2208/34 will haul it vertically easily using relitevely small 3c680 packs... everything kept under 10 amps. Anything like 20 oz thrust will be verrrrryyy vertical
Last edited by MrFlash; Oct 25, 2006 at 01:47 AM.
Oct 25, 2006, 05:40 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat
I do have one question though, how did you mount the landing gear?
Oct 25, 2006, 07:04 AM
Grate thread, Mr. Flash ; I down loaded your plans, and plan to build one in the future. But right now I have two planes on the board. ( I just canít build fast enough ) Iíve built 3 Ultimates in the past, all profiles. One was 23 inch and two were 28 in. I have everything I need to do this one. But time. All my planes were built with Dapron. Itís just what I prefer. I may reduce the plans a little to keep the weight and size down. Also I have the Komoto 17 turn motor, Great little motor. With a 3 cell TP 730 pack and HS 50 servos. This should work out fine.
Thanks for the plans. HAVE A GREAT DAY
Oct 25, 2006, 08:47 AM
Victoria Super Mortem

Thanks

Thanks Mr. Flash,
I like that user name btw... there is also a Mr. Boogie, he's good at lots of things, but makes a killer moulded intake for the wemotec edf microfan.
This Extreme Flight Torque 26T/1135 should produce over 20 oz of thrust on 3cells and 9x3.8 to 10.47 prop. So, I epoxied a small piece of thin Basswood to the EPP motor mount area last night for the firewall mount and should be able to mount the motor tonight. It will all be hot glue and ultracote from there. Stayed up late to finish a little lawn dart for testing today as it will be the only calm day in a while. See ya later
Bo
Oct 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_spotter
Hi Mr Flash, been following your thread on your bipe. Excellent work. May I ask what are the shipping charges for the epp from the States. Price for the foam seems exceptionally cheap.

many thanks

Ashley
Cheers Ashley,

The most Ive paid for postage was £15 ($30USD) for a big box (approx 3ft x 1ft x 1ft ) crammed full of foam, & R/C goodies. Customs have only ever charged me duty once and it still works out much much cheaper that buying in the UK. Things like servos, escs, motors etc are roughly half price of what we pay in the UK so I tend to stock up a little and with EPP at about £1 a sheet you cant go wrong .

Happy Spending
Oct 25, 2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Flashman,

With some luck, I too will be able to post some videos! Bought a wireless camera. Off to the store to get a hardhat to mount it on. Figure I'll stream the video to a laptop while I'm flying. Hope I can keep my head still! Maybe might mount it (oooh, aliteration) on the plane for some in-flight vids. What camera did you use for your tail-cam?

cheers,
Mike
Oct 25, 2006, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwkoss
I do have one question though, how did you mount the landing gear?
I just used the usual pianowire upsidedown " V " shape stuck to a little fiberglass former (plywood would be fine) the same width as the motor bulkhead and sanwiched between 2 EPP formers (again similar size and shape to the firewall) Just slide it in position and use planty of glue. If in doubt , just pin it in place with a few cocktail sticks (top secret tip !!).

So basically its an EPP / fiberglass (or ply ) sandwhich with the EPP being the bread with the "V" wire glued onto filling

Please post again if it dosnt make sence ..I'm not so hot at explaining
Oct 25, 2006, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind 1
Grate thread, Mr. Flash ; ... I may reduce the plans a little to keep the weight and size down. Also I have the Komoto 17 turn motor...

Thanks for the plans. HAVE A GREAT DAY
Cheers Downwind,

I actually designed this after building a little 22" Uzi - piccy below- which had a Dave North (Timocharis) wound Komodo in. If u scale it down like U say it'll be great if u keep it light !!!, my little un rocks and is totally bomb proof .

Let me know how you get on dude !!
Oct 25, 2006, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Bo,

20oz of thrust on this critter will give u stellar performance .. a 3D parky with attitude, looking foreward to a maiden report ..fingers crossed

Hey Mike ..hows it goin'...nice one with the video helmet cam, great idea !

Mine was a Philips GoGear - also called a Key019 with the shell removed and wrapped in EPP. Its actually got a little LCD monitor / active veiwfinder in so you can playback yer video at the field !!

a few more details here http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...17_US_CONSUMER

or in another post I did about it here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2642
Oct 30, 2006, 10:28 AM
Victoria Super Mortem

Ready to fly

Here it is. Covered and almost ready to go in the pictures. I have finished it and it is ready to fly. It looks like it's going to be about 19 oz. AUW. What's the normal CG for this thing?
Motor should put out out about 26 oz of thrust, so while not a 3d monster, that's not what I was looking for anyway. The canopy ended up coming from a bottle of "Simple Green" degreaser. It fits perfectly. But, CG is 1/2 way on the bottom wing. Too far back??? What do you think?

Bo
Oct 30, 2006, 02:55 PM
Victoria Super Mortem

Maiden Report

Well, all I can say is EPP, especially covered is the most durable rc airplane material I have ever used. The Bipe is definately tail heavy. I flew it and everything but the EPP broke. The prop, the landing gear..everything else is perfect. I attempted to fly it 5 times. It rolled nose over wingtip once and it was ready to try again.
Question: In your pictures, it looks like the top wing is set almost as far rearward as the center wing struts will allow. the bottom wing is a no brainer, because of the fuselage cut out area. Where did you mount your top wing? Moving mine back may help with the CG problem. Each covered wing weighs close to 3 oz. Actually that's wrong, moving it back may make the balance problem even worse... never mind...just tell me how you did yours and I'll do mine that way. This plane may just be way too heavy for a non-airfoiled wing surface. Sure is durable though. I'll tinker with it a bit as well.

Bo
Oct 30, 2006, 06:48 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Looks good Bo

Flash is away at the moment, he should be back online at the weekend.

I know that Tom (Costath) built one of these a while ago, so it might be worth dropping him a PM. Pics of his build are in the link below. Looks like he put the upper wing pretty far back. Hope this helps a little.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2907

Si.
Nov 02, 2006, 11:08 AM
Victoria Super Mortem

It's a Do Over

Well,
It's going to be a do over. I had to put almost 3 oz. of stick on lead weights on the nose to even get it close to balancing. I guess the experiment with the lite spackle and covering the whole plane did serve a purpose. Don't do it... or at least do'nt do it like I did. Still don't know why it's so tail heavy, I built it to spec except for the spackle and covering, but you would think that all things being equal, and even a set of LG heavier than most of the other's I've seen would have all balanced out well, but at least I have a bunch of great covered parts that I can use. I'll attempt this again soon.

Bo
Nov 03, 2006, 04:14 AM
Most biplanes are tail heavy from the get go, Because of the short nose moment. I know, I built a lot. Here are some of the things I would look at before I even start. How far forward can I put the servos, and their weight. My choice would be. HS 50 or GWS Pico at 6oz. Nothing heavier. Burg receiver is very light. Along with a CC thunder Bird 9. I normally use carbon push rods. Theyíre lighter and stronger then metal. Or maybe even pull pull for the rudder. I would use very little paint. Or a very light covering Nelson Lite. And no spackling or heavy covering. It may look good, But everything adds up. I'm referring to a smaller Plane.
KEEP FLYING ! REMBER WEíRE ALL IN THIS TOGETTER
Last edited by Downwind 1; Nov 03, 2006 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply