Mar 29, 2007, 05:10 PM
I'm probably going to try and build one of these out of blue cor foam from Lowes to "get my feet wet" with it. I won't build the final product until Summer time because as of now I have 3 papers in 1 week to do (2 of them were assigned today) and 2 of them are over 6 pages long of 12 point font. Fun stuff...but then first week of April I have spring break (finally) so then I'll probably try and build a cheap foam version using blue core and foamsafe ca.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2007, 07:02 PM
Are there plans that don't have those half-inch margins alongside the pictures (I'm talking about the tiled plans that you tape together). I couldn't find a reduce-margin option in Adobe, so can anyone enlighten me? Or am I just going to have to be really careful with cutting them?
Mar 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
Check my blog-updated
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace451
Are there plans that don't have those half-inch margins alongside the pictures (I'm talking about the tiled plans that you tape together). I couldn't find a reduce-margin option in Adobe, so can anyone enlighten me? Or am I just going to have to be really careful with cutting them?

Straight edge works good here too!

Hey Ace just some food for thought, the epp will last alot longer than the blue core in crashes. Flying the stryker you should know that.
One other thing I thought of is blue core is much thinner than the recommended 9mm epp, it may fly faster and handle just a bit different.
Mar 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
For a straight edge try and use some 90' angle aluminium strip from home depot so you get a vertical straight cut. If you're cutting thick EPP its easy to get a slanted cut by mistake if u use a normal ruler so I find the Ali strip easier.
I've run all over Lowe's looking for a suitable piece of 90' angle but never could find one. Guess a trip to Homeless Depot is in order..

-Shawn
Mar 30, 2007, 02:29 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn595
I've run all over Lowe's looking for a suitable piece of 90' angle but never could find one. Guess a trip to Homeless Depot is in order..

-Shawn
I presume Home Depot stock them, our UK equivalent (B&Q) have them .

Just a quick couple of pics to show the Ultimate is still doing well, heres a couple of pics from earlier this week with the old smoke kicking out the back
Mar 30, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah I'm just doing a bluecor model to get my feet wet in it. The EPP won't come until Summer when I actually don't have to worry about school or money. I would make it out of epp if I could...but I'm not too talented of a scratch builder so I'll practice with Bluecor and then I'll have tons of foam left to make simple 3D foamies to bash around the yard.

I guess I'll stick with a straight edge...that's a lot of paper to cut.
Mar 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
Check my blog-updated
Don't feel bad, I have cut many a paper with straight edge. Lot'sa trees were cut down for me.
Mar 30, 2007, 07:02 PM
You dont need to cut it, just fold one of the margins to where the lines begin and set it on the next piece and tape it. Thats what I do for all of mine. No Cutting.
Mar 30, 2007, 07:39 PM
I bought a giant sheet for FFF foam from Lowe's today...I'm buying the hardware for it tomorrow at work (LHS) and I should have a blast. Only a small portion of this foam sheet will be towards practicing this bipe...after that I'm going to have tons of foam for tons of profile foamies to bash around the yard. I guess I'll start tinkering with designs from my imagination.

What wheel size should I use on this biplane? I noticed Flash you used wheels that allowed you to take off of grass. What size are those? I found some 1 and 3/4 foam wheels that are almost nothing in weight made by Dubro and I think those will be fine. I'll be using some piano wire for struts and axles for the wheels...just a piece with about 3/4 inch (19mm) of the bottom bent where it is horizontal to the ground when mounted; then I'll mount the wheels to the "axle" and simply use some locking collars meant for that size of wire to hold the wheel in place. Cheap, strong, and simple. I'll be sure and get pictures of it if anyone is interested...I'll try and do a profile version of this plane as well. Same specs dimmension wise except for weight, should be fun.
Mar 31, 2007, 06:52 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Thread OP
1 3/4" will be fine for the wheels, I normally have smaller ones and spats fitted untill they dont cut the grass, then I take the spats off and put bigger wheels on
Mar 31, 2007, 03:48 PM
Im almost done with mine , just have to install the electronics. Ill try to get som pics up tomarrow.
Apr 01, 2007, 02:29 PM
Just finished the plane last night. Flew Great!! Very suprised on how stable it was. A little under powered, but i think that will change when i get my 3cell.
Apr 01, 2007, 04:05 PM
what eflite motor is that? I'm putting an Eflite motor in mine once I start building it, probably the 400 since it's rated for 10-20 oz 3D and I build on the heavy side with everything. My setup will be:

Hitec Electron 6
4 HS-55s (best servo ever), I'm going dual aileron servos (top and bottom)
Polyquest "Twenty" 3s 800 mah lipo
Possibly an Eflite 12 amp ESC (or 10 amp, forgot which they make), if not a Thunderbird 9 will do it

I tested out 3/32" diamter music wire, 1 and 3/4 diameter wheels, and 3/32 locking collars as landing gear for one of my almost retired foamy's...it rocks! This will definately be my landing gear for my ultimate...very strong when cut to length. I'll get pics when I get home...All you need is the hardware, PU (gorilla) glue, and a cutting tool (dremel or equivilent)
Apr 01, 2007, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle D.
Just finished the plane last night. Flew Great!! Very suprised on how stable it was. A little under powered, but i think that will change when i get my 3cell.
That's a really good looking you have there! Congrats on the fine looking model. I'm curious to know what you're using equipment wise as well.

-Shawn
Apr 01, 2007, 07:02 PM
I've got:
3- HS-55 servos
spektrum reciever
e-flight 400 motor
e-flight 20 Amp ESC
e-flight 7.4V 800mah

It flies great with this set up, But it was under powered for 3D but i think with a 11.1V it will have alot more power. I hope to get the battery tomarrow so i will let you guys know.

flyingace451 your right on the servos. for 10 bucks those are the best servos ever. I use those on all my electrics

Im going to post a video tonight so ill give you guys a link because it was to big to post in this thread. It says i have to post it in the video gallery.

Quick Reply