Dec 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mrflash,
yea i saw the Infineon, i am debating either the ultimate or infineon, but i have plenty of 9mm EPP readily available, i dont have any 3 or 5mm, i was going to build it with what i have available, i didnt want to order anything if i didnt have to.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2006, 02:48 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Thread OP
The Ulti is physically smaller but has less wing area so even though it would be lighter in 9mm than an Infi in 9mm it may not float as well.

If u try and build as light as possible I reckon the AUW of the Ulti with your powertrain should be 10oz as long as u use light servos, ESC, Rx etc. Your power is going to be just over 1:1 so it should just hover but wont be as 3d ish as the one in the video. It'll be fine as an aerobatic parky. Again the Infi will be slightly heavier but will have a lower wing loading. Again it'll be a great parky but dont expect unlimted vertical.

Ideally both these aeros would need a 3cell motor for a 9mm build but as long as you keep everything else as light as possible and dont expect extreme 3D stuff you should be fine. BTW Im putting a new Infineon video up any day which should show it off a little better

Best of luck
Jan 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
Battling on regardless
Ok it's been a while sinced I made any progress on this build, house renovations have seen to that. I'm now finaly getting somewhere. I've been securing my electrice tonight and noticed that I placed the top wing at ~20mm ahead of the lower, not the 30mm the plans show . Is this going to be a problem? Or will it not affect it's flight? I sure hope it's not an issue.
Jan 13, 2007, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
I think it should be fine.

The only problem might be when your trying to fly HiA (nose up) at slow speeds or a slow landing approach and the bottom wing might blanket the top wing a little more than usual which might mean it could stall a little earlier than "normal" . I'd try it as it is and see, its an easy fix if it doesnt seem to handle ok.

Cant see it being much of a problem though as it not to far out.

Hope the house is coming along nicely !!
Jan 13, 2007, 04:57 PM
Battling on regardless
cheers I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Jan 14, 2007, 07:13 AM
I bet it will fly just fine.

I just landed mine inverted (because of sudden wind gust. yeah that's right no pilot error ). Ripped the top wing clean off. I decided what the heck and threw it back in the air without the top wing... Flew fine actually, a hell of a lot faster but fine anyways...

I think i will build a nice airfoiled wing for this one and build another ultimate.
Jan 14, 2007, 07:36 AM
Dismembered Member...
Isn't that rudder kinda upside down?
Jan 14, 2007, 07:55 AM
now that you mention it... héhéhé

Never noticed that

gives it a "personal" touch.

Explains some weird knive edge coumpling tendencies though.
Jan 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx_n_sparx
Isn't that rudder kinda upside down?
nah.. the rudders the right way round, its the plane thats upside down
Jan 14, 2007, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
nah.. the rudders the right way round, its the plane thats upside down
Guess i will flip the plane than...

Should fix the coupling tendencies, what do you guys think?

Gonna keep this one a mono wing though kinda like the looks. Will build a new bype.
Jan 14, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking of making a nice airfoiled wing for this thing... Place it right into the middle of the fuse. i think i should make it a little bit larger because when i flew it without the top wing this thing was moving at a reasonable speed (enough to make the ailerons flutter) and it wasn't really floaty like a 3d ship should be. Does anyone have a good idea on how to make a nice thin airfoiled wing? I tested out a couple of methods (using ribs and cf or just a thik foam spar) but i never was really satisfied about the result.

Kudos to the designer (mr flash) of this thing though, flies nice now mather how hard you (ab)use it.
Jan 14, 2007, 03:47 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
I would think that on a bird this size, you could use a think foam spar. Take two stripps of foam, and sandwich a carbon rod or tube in between the strips, and use it for your spar.

If your using depron, a little heat will help bend the foam. If you can find a thin tube of some sort to bend the leading edge over with the foam (maybe a dowl rod) then you'd be all set. If you use FFF, use a fold that came in the foam for your leading edge.
Jan 14, 2007, 04:31 PM
thanks Mr. Flash got plans yesterday stratint to build today
Jan 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Jona, have you tried
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604993
It gives me great results. Literally have flown a dozen with this style wing and they perform well.
Jan 31, 2007, 01:18 AM
Battling on regardless
I had a quick comb of the thread, but couldn't find where to set the CoG. Does anyone know where to set it? Some help would be appreciated.

Andrew.

Quick Reply