Oct 04, 2006, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building the 35" Spad XIII

After the Rapide build got going I started drawing up the 35" Spad. Now that the Rapide is on hold for parts, building the Spad has begun.

The model will span 35" with 400 sq. in. of wing area. Power will likely as not start out geared S-280 or so, preferably geared to swing a scale prop. Will sweat that when things get that far. Guidance will be 3 ch. R/C, but this thing is definitely large enough to add ailerons with little difficulty. Target weight is around 14 0z.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2006, 09:27 PM
Thread OP

Building the Tail Section

The outlines for the vertical and horizontal tails are laser cut to add the scollops, so no bowing is needed back here. This is all pretty straight forward stuff, really.
Oct 04, 2006, 09:36 PM
Thread OP

Building the wings

The wings are framed from the center section outward. The main spars are laser cut, and notched to insure easy and accurate alignment. The tips are bowed, and the trailing edges on the top wing laser cut. The strut attach points are incorperated into the ribs and spars, so are plenty strong, and light to boot.

With the framing done on both the top and bottom wings, the next step will be shaping and sanding, then it's on to the fuselage.

PAT
Oct 05, 2006, 07:49 AM
It flew once before...
Suscribed .

I still haven't got to building your Wacos yet . But that's ok...

-John
Oct 05, 2006, 09:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
John,

That's OK, neither have I

charlie
Oct 05, 2006, 08:35 PM
go fly! no crashes!
subscribed!
Oct 11, 2006, 05:27 AM
Thread OP

Framing the Fuselage

Wow, I didn't realize I was this far behind in updating the thread! Anyhow, the fuselage framed up nicely. The side frames are real straight forward stuff, and joind up nicely using the firewall and formers.
Oct 11, 2006, 05:58 AM
Thread OP

Making a New Tool

End drilling the 1/4 sq. balsa cabane mounts can be a real challenge, so a simple jig was made to insure the holes were drilled accurately, then the mounts were cut to shape and glued into the fuselage frame.
Oct 11, 2006, 06:01 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Stringers

The 1/16 sq. balsa stringers were added next. Usually theres a bit of "tweeking" required to get the stringers lined up nicely, but this time, it all simply fell together with absolutely no trimming required!
Oct 11, 2006, 06:04 AM
Thread OP

Setting Up the Motor Mount

The 3/8 sq. balsa motor mount and gusset assembly was built up and glue in place on the firewall. This time, the gussets are set up around the mount stick rather then edge glue to it. Made alignment much simpler.
Oct 11, 2006, 06:08 AM
Thread OP

Mounting the Servos

The servo rails were glued in place, allowing access to the servos through the cockpit opening. The Sullivan #507 pushrod tube was glued in and secured, and the rudder pull/pull cables run in and aligned. The servos were centered and aligned using the new YTV Servo Cycler -- which BTW is the coolest little tool I've seen a quite some time! I'll do a review thread on it real soon.
Oct 11, 2006, 06:14 AM
Thread OP

Adding Details

The cockpit fairing was cut from file folder and glued in place using Pacer Canopy 560 glue. The nose faring was cut from blue foam and glued in place using Elmers Woodworkers glue. A 1/64 ply ring has since been added to the opening to aid in shaping later.
Oct 11, 2006, 06:23 AM
Thread OP

The First Dry Run

The tail skid mount and fairing was glued in place and sanded to shape next. Then the cabanes were bent and soldered and installed on the fuselage. The wings and interplane struts were fitted, and once again, no tweeking was needed.
The front landing gear strut was bent to shape, jigged up and soldered to the axle, then taped in place on the fuselage. The joints were wrapped with fine copper wire and re-soldered. The rear strut was bent to shape, taped in place and soldered to the front strut. The wheels are the 2 3/4" offerings from Sparky at Park Flyer Plastics

And that's about it for now. Will shape up the cowl today, and do the final detail sanding, then it's time to cover.

PAT
Oct 11, 2006, 08:27 AM
pray for our troops
Pat,

Another great one. This is what keeps me coming back to RCgroups and inspires me to want to be a successful builder. I can't wait to see the color scheme and how it looks finished. Of course with you I'm sure that will be by the end of the week so I won't be held in suspense too long.

Will the wire wheels be part of the Dumas kit or will those be something that can be ordered aftermarket from Pat's Custom Models?

Rob
Oct 11, 2006, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Rob, These wheels won't be part of the kit, but I'm thinking I'll work up some scale size wheels for the kit. The Spads all had wheel covers so the spokes won't be necessary. But, if you want to use the open spokes, Sparky can supply them.

PAT

Quick Reply