Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 13, 2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks. Here's an example of how to use the views to try different color schemes. And here's my Windlord ready to cover.

Is anybody else working on one right now? Its a really neat design. Hopefully this generates some more interest.

Brian

QUOTE=Captain Canardly;26623633]Thanks Brian! and to keep this babyflyin' right along! [/QUOTE]
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2013, 02:00 PM
Finished my electric Windlord today. Hopefully I will be able to fly it over Thanksgiving, weather dependent. Ignore the chairs holding the plane up in the picture. I couldn't get anyone else to pose with the plane.

Brian
Nov 20, 2013, 06:10 PM
who has rabbit ears down
very pretty Brian! and quick on the covering job too!
Latest blog entry: My new factory
Nov 20, 2013, 06:50 PM
Detail Freak
That really DOES look NICE!

R,
Target
Nov 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
Great build!
Nov 23, 2013, 01:38 AM
Airborne whenever I can.
Looks the part, well done.
Nov 23, 2013, 01:54 PM
bucket list airplane. Very nice job!
Apr 19, 2014, 10:05 PM

Flew mine today

WWWWWOW!

It has the thermal performance close to a current TD sailplane, I did NOT expect the wide glide envelope! It was blowing hard at our field but there were lots of big thermals too.

Totally impressed, its a keeper.

No you can't land it, and while some might bother to put some gimmicks on it, thats just silly. Its a flying machine. :-)
Gordy

Check out the video!
Windlord 100" Tailless Thermal Wing (3 min 16 sec)
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Apr 19, 2014, 10:13 PM
Detail Freak
How well do plank wings launch on a winch?
Do you use a two line bridal, or just a single belly hook?

R,
Target
Apr 19, 2014, 10:22 PM
Detail Freak
Ooops, just watched the video.
I wonder if someone used a single hook, and gave the plane a hard level throw, if you could do away with the bridal.
I'm contemplating a different plank design with a longer fuse and more aft vertical, and wonder if it would launch ok with a single tow point?
Apr 19, 2014, 11:49 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Ooops, just watched the video.
I wonder if someone used a single hook, and gave the plane a hard level throw, if you could do away with the bridal.
I'm contemplating a different plank design with a longer fuse and more aft vertical, and wonder if it would launch ok with a single tow point?
The problem with a conventional hook is that with such a short coupled model there is no ability to overcome the torque from the low hook placement.
You will have trouble controlling the pitch angle. (Ken explained it all in the original magazine article)

The Windlord uses dual hooks mounted to the wing along with the bridle, which works extremely well and is not much trouble at all.
Two rings and a piece of line. The rings should be larger than the ring on your winch.
. Tie the string to one of the rings, pass it through the winches ring and form a loop in the other end.
You can attach the other ring by passing the loop through and then around the ring, no additional knots required and it can be removed without undoing any knots.

The WindFreak uses a single hook, but the hook is mounted to a pivot point up high inside the fuse and has a long extension so it reaches the bottom of the fuse. It is free to swing.

Ken showed a third method during his build, but I think he reverted to the bridle in the end?

Gordy - nice video, makes me want to get mine out when the weather and field conditions allow it
Where did you end up with your CG? What is the AUW?

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Apr 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM.
Apr 20, 2014, 02:05 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Great job Gordy! Thanks for the clarity on the launch! ( Itried " normal" towhook location, and it just drug along in the grass- no damage, just some thinkin' to do- then life got in the way!
Latest blog entry: My new factory
Apr 20, 2014, 08:50 AM
Gordy - with that landing ability, I think that ship should be your weapon of choice for the club contest series....
Apr 20, 2014, 09:22 AM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
How well do plank wings launch on a winch?
Do you use a two line bridal, or just a single belly hook?
I had several plank-type wings in the 70's, all towed well with single hooks on the bottom. One had no fuse and no vertical fin, held on arm like a serving tray with line coming out front between the fingers ... hold fingers curled over the leading edge, apply tension and open fingers ... whooosh, away she went.

These planes were not tap tap tap launch planes ... they moved out on the tow.

YMMV ...
Apr 24, 2014, 11:30 PM
Detail Freak
Thanks for the replies, gents.
The reason for my question revolves around a particular 2 day contest, and me wanting to fly a plank in either the woodie class or nostalgia.
I asked the CD's about hooking a bridal to the winch line and they frowned on it; I even offered to have my timer stay behind and unhook it after I launched. I can tough it out for a few minutes, after all!
I'll keep doing a bit of research.
Thanks again.

R,
Target