Jay-jay the jet plane for my kid! - RC Groups
Oct 01, 2006, 01:25 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Discussion

Jay-jay the jet plane for my kid!

Oh, the things we do for our kids! My son loves this "jay-jay the jet plane" cartoon. It's kind of like Thomas the Train but it's a plane with a face on it.

I decided to tackle one of the characters on the cartoon called Snuffy, which is a skywriter. Someone out here sugested using the slow-poke and that's where I started. Since the slow poke has tail heavy tendencies, I decided to extend the nose of the plane and go from there. I'll try to post some pictures to show the process. It's an odd looking plane, but my 2.5 year old son thinks it's pretty cool and that's all that matters. I'm planning on putting an electric inside it...maybe an E-flite 15 or 25...haven't decided..matters what the weight turns out when it's finished.

So............... for all the father's out there....it's amazing what you'll do for your kid!
Last edited by jodini; Oct 22, 2006 at 11:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2006, 02:54 AM
characters welcome!
Hurry up and paint the face. It looks like a ghostly Barney right now.

Cool project and a good Dad!

mw
Oct 01, 2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks Mark,
Painting the face today! Yes, it looks a little disturbing looking....I have to find some flesh colored spray paint.

And guys, I couldn't find a good forum for this so I droped it in here. I hope that's o.k.?
Oct 01, 2006, 09:53 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Great work jodini. I did a Sponge Bob for mine last year. Kids love stuff like that.

Laine
Oct 01, 2006, 11:27 AM
Forgot how to fly
My 4 year old thinks that this is too cool. He and my 2 yr old love Jay-Jay. I did however get asked when I was goinig to build this . Looking forward to the final product.

-Mike
Oct 01, 2006, 11:46 AM
Well if you decide to take this on, don't make the face out of clay. When it dried, it cracked and I had to spackel things back together. I saw this stuff called Apoxie Sculpt by www.avesstudio.com and I think that's the route I should of gone.

So I appologize for the imperfections in the face. It's not runny paint...it was a bad mold. I figure I see how this flies first and then worry about perfection! Besides, if it flies it won't matter 100 feet above my head! Going to paint the face tonight.

AND eventhough I extended the nose out it still will need a chunk of weight to balance everything out. I'm disputing on the E-flite 25.....does anyone have any experience with this motor and how long will it last on a 3S 2100 pack?

Thanks for the comments!
Oct 01, 2006, 11:47 AM
lmopar69,
Do you have pictures of the spongebob? Feel free to show some pics on this forum....would love to see it!
Oct 01, 2006, 07:00 PM
This is a really neat project. What is the wing span?
I look forward to seeing your progress.
shawn
Oct 01, 2006, 08:29 PM
It's 50", the standard Slow poke 15.

Here's a better picture of the wingspan.
Oct 01, 2006, 09:24 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini
lmopar69,
Do you have pictures of the spongebob? Feel free to show some pics on this forum....would love to see it!
Yessir I do. He was a little "roll sensative" but other than that, flew really well. Simple build. The paint took awhile though.

Laine
Oct 01, 2006, 10:30 PM
Oh...........that's killer! I love how the hands are up in the air!

Well here's some painted picture of snuff. I painted the eyes from the inside and did the rest from the outside. Looks tons better...going to buy the engine tomorrow!

Joe
Oct 01, 2006, 11:10 PM
characters welcome!
Oh, man. That is GREAT!!!

mw
Oct 02, 2006, 12:38 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Awesome man... now my 5 year old saw it... I may have to follow suit and build one too.

Laine
Oct 05, 2006, 08:47 AM
Did some more work on the face. Still waiting on the engine. After reading about peoples experience with the slow poke, almost everyone is putting a bigger engine because of the tail heavy issue. So I'm going with the E-flite 25 for the extra chunk!
Oct 05, 2006, 08:24 PM

there is another cartoon character in town you may not be aware of...

Dick Dastardly himself!
jodini your son may not know this one but some seeing this thread will.

Here is a link to the thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578243

A toon vehicle that has been brought to life by an adventerous modeler!

Robert