33" Beech Bonanza for Himax Brushless - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2006, 08:35 PM
Balsa is love....
Discussion

33" Beech Bonanza for Himax Brushless

Well I'm now at the building stage of my new little project so I thought I would start a thread on it. It's a 33" Beech Bonanza - the V tailed one of course. I managed to find a decent 3-view in a Minicraft kit, and so I used that and some photos from Airliners.net for the drafting. This was one of those planes that at first glance seems really easy, but I found there's a few tricky angles and what not. Most of the tricky stuff has been worked out, but I still have a little bit of drafting to do on the wing. Anyway, the specs are:

33" span
150 sq. in area
Projected weight: 8-9 ounces
Controls: R/E/A/T
Motor: Himax HC2212-0840
Battery: 3S Lipo ~1000 mah
No landing gear - hand launch/belly land

The idea is for this to be a somewhat aerobatic parkflyer that can be flown faster than my other 36" parkflyers, and maybe is a little more wind tolerant. Something that "grooves" a little more than the C-170 etc. The wing will be lightweight d-tube construction, much like the B-24 wing. The fuselage will feature a vac formed canopy/cabin, so no one will have to deal with all the cabin windows and roof.

-Sky
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2006, 08:40 PM
Balsa is love....

Starting with the tailfeathers....

I like to get warmed up on each build with the tailfeathers, and lucky me since this is a v-tail plane there's 33% fewer surfaces! Just a few laser cut parts, the rest from 1/8" sq. balsa. I'm trying to make the kit with a minimum amount of wood, so that hopefully the finished product will be ~$40 or less- so this will be a truss style build, but a fairly easy one at that. Anyway, as you can see the "stab" portion of the tailfeathers is done. There's a little 1/32" ply spacer in the center bottom. That's where a 1/32" ply brace will go after I bevel sand the joint and join the two sides together. I'm going to hold off on making the "elevators" for now, since I want to make sure they won't conflict with either themselves or the fuselage - I'll just make some dummy full size ones out of solid 1/8" sheet after the "stab" section has been joined to the fuselage. Time to move onto the fuselage! I might have some updates up this weekend, but I'm going to a SAM meet tomorrow, so maybe not.

-Sky
Sep 29, 2006, 08:51 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sky

Looks nice. Enjoy the SAM Meet. Working on the Luscombe Model 11.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
Balsa is love....
Thanks Brian! Glad to hear about the Model 11. Here's a little sneak peak at the fuselage layout...

-Sky
Sep 29, 2006, 11:10 PM
NEATO! that layout sounds like a nice flyer..

a plane you can throw in the back of the car and fly at the park..

really looking forward to see how it goes

T
Sep 29, 2006, 11:40 PM
Balsa is love....
Thanks Tim! That's definitely the idea here - something a bit more sporty and not very fussy.
Sep 30, 2006, 12:23 AM
SWEET! looking forward to seeing this one come together- your specification is appealing! (hopefully it won't be too 'hot' for my flying 'skills' though!)

Complex looking parts on the ply sheet in the background, nose ribs, etc...
Sep 30, 2006, 12:26 AM
Balsa is love....
Ah, funny enough those complex parts are test runs of some parts I cut for a friend. He and a partner are making a fully functional helicopter....a 7 gram fully functional helicopter!
Sep 30, 2006, 12:35 AM
Whew! glad those aren't a part of this kit! I was thinking that was a bunch of tiny parts I could really mess up, trying to glue them (and my fingers) together!!!!

7 gram, fully functional heli, that sounds impressive!
Sep 30, 2006, 01:00 AM
Balsa Builder
So....another plane for the hangar....who's going to be the first to put retracts in it?

--Paul
Oct 01, 2006, 11:04 AM
Another Must have Sky. I hope your honeymoon went very well. Love the pics of you and your better half taken in front of the sight seeing cessna.

Scott
Oct 01, 2006, 03:42 PM

Nothing Like a V-Tailed Bonanza

Anxious to see if you capture the snazzy "look" and if the thing turns and flies well. Will it use v-tail mixing function along with ailerons? I remember the sliding servo tray mechanical v-tail mixers from the days of yore. Will look cool taxiing with tri-gear.
Oct 01, 2006, 05:48 PM
Balsa is love....
Thanks guys! E - it will have v-tail mixing, but of course I'll be using my radio for that now. Much easier than the mechanical setups of yesteryear. Also, no gear for this one - hand launch only. However, at some time in the future I plan on revisiting the design and doing a much larger version that will include retracts.

-Sky
Oct 01, 2006, 08:17 PM
Big gov never Works
Good subject, Sky! Forgive me for posting pics out of text. I built the Herr Bonanza, about 10yrs ago. Had Robart retracts and(forgive the following) a AP .061. It was sold before I could maiden it. But the owner said it flew grand. I thought often of enlarging the plans. Not enough can be said for the Bonanza.

Good fortune with yours. I believe you will succeed!

Steve(fuzz)
Oct 04, 2006, 07:07 PM
Balsa is love....

Progress....

Steve - The Herr one you built looks cool, even if it's a slimer

Here's a bit of an update. As you can see, the fuselage sides have been built and joined, and some of the formers have been added. She's definitely starting to look Bonanza-ey. The big fat cross piece at the very front is only temporary - once I add the forward bulkhead I'll remove it and then add the nose stringers. The last pic shows just how much the plastic windshield/cabin will cover - everything between those formers will be vac formed by the ever talented Sparky. On with the build....

Weight tally - .63 oz so far....

-Sky