Nemere - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2006, 09:37 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Here's a shot of the fuse....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2006, 12:48 AM
Quote:
I'll ponder on it for a while

You might check availability of adhesive backed wood grain vinyl (fake veneer) in a suitable shade. Panels can be cut to match photos of the original plywood, add simulated nail/screw heads. Tedious, but the result can look quite good. Good Lift!
Oct 25, 2006, 08:10 AM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Quote:
It is strange that he would design it with a balsa sheeted fuse when the fullsize was ply....as far as a different paint scheme...there was only one built as far as I know....so the clear finish is it! I might just sheet it with the 1/32" ply and not worry about it being thinner then the balsa....who's going to know?
A while back, I talked about this with Mr. Schneider.
He decided to go with the balsa sheeting of the fuse because he feared that otherwise he would not sell a whole lot of these kits.
There are not a whole lot of people who will tackle a project like this in the first place, and even fewer with the skills to sheet a fuselage like the Nemere's with it's compound curves, with plywood.

His 1/3 scale Grunau Baby kit comes with plywood for the fuselage and wing sheeting. While the sheeting of the Baby's boxy fuselage is no biggie, the wings are another matter..... Been there, done that....
The feedback that he got from most buyers/builders of the GB is that they loved the kit, but did not care a whole lot for the plywood sheeting...
Hence his decision to sacrifice some scale fidelity and to do the fuselage sheeting on the Nemere with balsa.
Oct 25, 2006, 08:57 AM
TEAM GORGEOUS
I can understand that.....sheeting with ply can be a bit of a but for this plane it HAS to be sheeted in ply......I think that I'll end up just doing it with 1/32" and let the fuse be a bit thinner.....at the tail I'll use 1/64 for the fin and shim out as needed.....
Oct 27, 2006, 03:50 AM
dark-side of the slope
you can get with birch ply like this one:
http://www.scalepilots.com/gallery/a.../Alfre%204.JPG
Oct 27, 2006, 09:07 AM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentynine
you can get with birch ply like this one:
http://www.scalepilots.com/gallery/a.../Alfre%204.JPG

Nice plane! That is what I'm going to do......
Oct 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
TEAM GORGEOUS
http://www.scalepilots.com/gallery/index.php

Go here and see the rest of the pictures....nice stuff!
Oct 30, 2006, 11:43 AM
Started the fuse about a week ago. It builds fast!!!! I have both sides done and ready to put them together. Most of the time was used to sand up all the parts. After that gluing them in the jig takes one evening for me. So far things have been going together great. Love CNC kits!!!
(I am trying to figure out how to post a pic for you guys. help)

Plywood? Balsa? Plywood? Have not made my mind up.

How did they put the plywood on the full size? Would be cool to put it on the same way they did.
What did they put on the plywood to seal it? Looks like a clear finish to me. Not a stain.

Has anyone seen any pic's of the cockpit? The plans don't show any seat or control panel.

Erich
Oct 30, 2006, 03:09 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschlitzkus
Started the fuse about a week ago. It builds fast!!!! I have both sides done and ready to put them together. Most of the time was used to sand up all the parts. After that gluing them in the jig takes one evening for me. So far things have been going together great. Love CNC kits!!!
(I am trying to figure out how to post a pic for you guys. help)

Plywood? Balsa? Plywood? Have not made my mind up.

How did they put the plywood on the full size? Would be cool to put it on the same way they did.
What did they put on the plywood to seal it? Looks like a clear finish to me. Not a stain.

Has anyone seen any pic's of the cockpit? The plans don't show any seat or control panel.

Erich
Great! Plywood panels where glued to each section between formers would be my guess from looking at the pictures.....I've not seen a pic of the interior.....Plywood was most likely just doped....I'm going to use water base poly on mine I think....As far as posting pictures....you have to use the "post reply" button and not the "quick reply" it's at the bottom left of this frame.....under "additional options" the second option is "attach files" click on the "manage attachments" button and find your picture and then hit "upload"......the rest is just a follow thru as you would do a normal post!
Oct 31, 2006, 04:29 AM
SZD16 - you have just depressed me with the image of the guy with his Weihe complete. I have just finished drawing the plans to build one and see what a mountain I have to climb. Still.... we do it for fun

Couple of internet pictures attached to help with the cockpit. It would be a shame not to ply cover the fuselage. My Fafnir would not be the same covered in anything else
Oct 31, 2006, 06:17 AM
Erich...have you considered sheeting with balsa and then 1/64 plywood over the balsa as a thin veneer? The balsa substrate might make fitting the ply a lot easier.

Steve
Oct 31, 2006, 06:36 AM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentC
SZD16 - you have just depressed me with the image of the guy with his Weihe complete. I have just finished drawing the plans to build one and see what a mountain I have to climb. Still.... we do it for fun

Couple of internet pictures attached to help with the cockpit. It would be a shame not to ply cover the fuselage. My Fafnir would not be the same covered in anything else

Vincent....where did you find these? I thought I had looked in every nook and crany of the world wide waste for Nemere info....not much out there...do you have any more? As far as the fuse goes....I'm going to cover in ply...1/32" I think....how has the 1/64" held up on the Fafnir? To me it just isn't puncture "proof" enough.....the way to do it might just be to sheet with the supplied balsa and then cover with ply...the 1/64" will bend and form with enough glue and clamps!
Oct 31, 2006, 06:50 AM
Thank's for the cockpit plans and picture's. The Fafnir looks great. I like how is goes around the wing LE. Coving with balsa and then cover with a very thin ply is the way to go. You could use tape to clamp it. I will try to post some pic's when I get home.
(got to work).
Can you post some more pic's of the fafnir?
Oct 31, 2006, 09:27 AM
Steve,

... had the same idea with the "double sheeting" ... ;-))

Herbert