Sep 19, 2006, 09:22 AM
EDF all the way!
Thread OP
Discussion

Stumax F-104 completed

Just finished up and shipped this Stumax F-104 for Atindra. He should have it is a couple of days. I also want to thank Mike Donovan who helped me get this finished.
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2006, 11:09 AM
Very nice Bob and Mike!
Sep 19, 2006, 11:34 AM
Suspended Account
Bob,
I really like the NASA paint job...........I was wondering who had a Stumax besides myself, Turbonut, & Gordito.
Curious, what is the power setup? (or planned setup)
Mine is Mega16/20/2, DS30, 4s2p4200 TPProlite for 700watts.
Cheers,
Mike
Sep 19, 2006, 11:55 AM
Flying Fatboy
Bob & Mike,

Looking real good! I was just looking at my kit last night, now all I have to do is get the lead out and build it. Also, I am still waiting to see how Turbonut's retracts work out.

Regards, Bill
Sep 19, 2006, 02:18 PM
who dares wins
Looks really sweet Bob !!

Alex
Sep 19, 2006, 05:12 PM
WOWSSSERS, very NICE!
Sep 19, 2006, 05:32 PM
Wooden member
Real nice, Bob!!! Make sure you get some flying pics!

Now, where are the other 20 or so F104's? I know of 3 that are flying, but the rest? C'mon guys, it's not such a scary plane when you get used to it!

Stu.
Sep 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
[Quote]Stu:
"""C'mon guys, it's not such a scary plane when you get used to it!""""[Quote]

The planes really a solid pussycat........just doesn't do "bat" turns!

-Mike
Sep 19, 2006, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Just finished up and shipped this Stumax F-104 for Atindra. He should have it is a couple of days. I also want to thank Mike Donovan who helped me get this finished.
Bob
Very nice Bob!!! I think that has my name all over it!!!!!
Latest blog entry: "Is that a Turbine?" Not...
Sep 19, 2006, 08:42 PM
Hey Now
Awesome! If I only had more room at my house.
Is there anyway at all to get some sort of retractable landing gear in this model????? It doesn't have to be scale.

See ya-Scott
Sep 19, 2006, 09:02 PM
Further to Mikes question, I have one which first flew last year (see previous thread). The original power setup was a Hacker B40-18L, Hacker 48amp controller, 8S1P of some old Polyquest 2600 cells and Mini fan.

This setup was similar to Stumax's original and flew okay but I was looking for more (speed). I then changed to a DS30 fan and bought some better quality Polyquest 2600 cells. This setup lasted one flight, I overcooked the cells, one was puffed and must have been close to catching fire.

Then I changed to Hyperion LVX2500 cells, still in 8S1P configuration with the Hacker. This lasted one flight as the motor gave up in a cloud of smoke. I not sure what really happened but it's now really tight to turn so something mechanical has let go inside.

By this stage I was about ready to give up as this model was consuming too much hardware. I had a Typhoon 2W-20 ready to go into another model and I thought I'd give it a go. I teamed this with so Hyperion CL2100 cells in 4S2P configuration and it works!! The model now flys the best ever, the power setup is much lighter than my first and with only slighlty reduced duration. I really like these CL2100 cells, they are good reliable performers.

Anyway, that's my story. Now maybe I might paint the thing.......

Rod
Sep 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words all. It was a really neat plane to build!

The power setup in it is a Schubeler DS-30 DIA 3ph with a Lehner 1530-11 and a Hacker Master 40-0 Flight. It is setup for 5s Lipo cells.

I can't wait to hear how it flies! Trust me, if the owner ever decides to part with it I will be jumping all over it....

Mike
Sep 20, 2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Hoarder
Tooooo cool Mike..I am doing mine as 812 seems I have more pics of that one..I also like the latter paint with lite blue on the bottom..you have the same power set up also so I hope it goes well..also have retracts but I am not sure how well they will hold up..
Scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 20, 2006, 08:39 AM
Flying Fatboy
Scott,

Please keep us informed on the retracts.

Regards, Bill
Sep 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL62
Thanks for the kind words all. It was a really neat plane to build!

The power setup in it is a Schubeler DS-30 DIA 3ph with a Lehner 1530-11 and a Hacker Master 40-0 Flight. It is setup for 5s Lipo cells.

I can't wait to hear how it flies! Trust me, if the owner ever decides to part with it I will be jumping all over it....

Mike
Hi Mike, 'tis 'other Mike'.

I think that this one will be a few ounces heavier than mine due to the added weight of the Lehner and however large the 5s pack.

Atindra.......Just be sure to have a healthy bungee (as in 5x or even 6x the weight of the plane) and use a bit of up elevator so it doesn't sink into the grass . Doesn't take much total elevator travel either..........I can measure mine and let you know if you like. Ailerons are much less sensitive.
Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply