Sep 19, 2006, 12:44 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Alfa P-47 Thunderbolt VS Great Planes F4U Corsair

Hello! I am new to electrics but not new to RC planes. For my first electric I would like to get the Alfa p47 D Thunderbolt from Hobby-lobby or the Great Planes F4U Corsair from Towerhobbies.com.

Which is better? It seems like the brushless motor in the alfa would give better performance than the brushed Great Planes? But it probably wouldn't be hard to put a brushless setup in the GP.
So I guess it comes down to how they fly and which is more fun?
Any thoughts? thanks in advance!

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2006, 10:19 AM
Hey Dave, you are going to be getting a lot of different opinions here. It really is an apples to oranges choice. I think they ultimately might fly similarly (brushless issues aside), but one is truly ARF and very nice looking, the other is less detailed, and may require some massaging, but it is cheaper too. I think both people are going to like their models, but other than size and era, aren't really the same.

I have two Alfa's (including the bubble P47) and they are nice in my mind. The P47 definitely flies well! I don't own either of the other planes, but that is only because I like brushless and hate to pay extra for soemthing I won't use (stock brushed motors). The GP planes seemed to have some quality issues, at least in the beginning, but for the price seem to be a good option.

Maybe what i am trying to say is that they are different planes but neither manufacturer would likely disappoint you in flight characterisitcs.

That's just my opinion though.
Sep 19, 2006, 10:43 AM
MN WATTS Master
I've flown both and if built right both can be great. They both fly well on brushless power.

The alfa is easier to work with and is a little more forgiving in the build but not by much.

So for me it would come down to looks and cost. The GP Corsair can be built with a CustomCDR single and 10 amp esc. Power it with a 15c 700mah 3 cell lipo and it's great fun for about 10 min per charge.

The Alfa is a little more but has a smoother finish. You'll want to power it with a MP jet blue or red and will need an 18 amp esc and a pack that can take 13-15 amps so a prolite 1320 is great. Costs a little more but might have a better look for you.

Both fly great if you keep them light.

Steve
Sep 19, 2006, 11:14 AM
The Alfa P-47 was my 2nd plane . Suprisingly enough ,it had a long run in my new hands ... Just a very nice bird to fly ... I have the Alfa Corsair as well and even though it's pretty docile too, it didn't float forever like the Jug,,, I don't know about the GP kits ,but it's hard to imagine a foamie in this class flying better than the Alfa '47... pop the radio gear in ,bolt up the motor and off ya go ,,,putting on the nice waterslide decals was the longest part of he "build" ...a true arf ..
best of luck.
-Henry
Sep 19, 2006, 11:27 AM
MN WATTS Master
My corsair floats just as much as my Alfas did. But I did go for light weight. I'm about an ounce under what the instructions say when using the stock power setup.

But Your right, you just cant beat the looks of an alfa. But the GP Corsair and Hellcat come closer then anyone else for ease of build and looks.

Here is the video of my corsair.

http://www.vintauri.com/planes/videos/GPcorsair.wmv

Steve
Sep 19, 2006, 11:39 AM
Nice vid. I have a first GWS build (Corsair) on the table now. Just finished the airframe, so it's ready for the paint booth! Can't wait to finish it. I have had a great time with my P47's, but I think the Corsair will be a close second in terms of flight characteristics (maybe even as good!).

Incidentally, I fly my P47 on a 400XT. It makes 134 watts for me versus 137 for the blue MP Jet. So for 1/3 the price, and 1.5 oz versus 2 oz, I think I made a good choice. AUW of the Alfa is 13.7 oz with the CC Thunderbird 18 and TP 1320 battery.
Sep 19, 2006, 11:41 AM
MN WATTS Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienx
Nice vid. I have a first GWS build (Corsair) on the table now. Just finished the airframe, so it's ready for the paint booth! Can't wait to finish it. I have had a great time with my P47's, but I think the Corsair will be a close second in terms of flight characteristics (maybe even as good!).

Incidentally, I fly my P47 on a 400XT. It makes 134 watts for me versus 137 for the blue MP Jet. So for 1/3 the price, and 1.5 oz versus 2 oz, I think I made a good choice. AUW of the Alfa is 13.7 oz with the CC Thunderbird 18 and TP 1320 battery.
You should see what the MP Jet Red will do in that airframe. It'll really get your knees knocking.
Sep 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri
You should see what the MP Jet Red will do in that airframe. It'll really get your knees knocking.
I have one in the box!! I figured that the cheaper 400XT does a very nice job on these sub 16 oz planes, so I would keep the MP Jet for a slightly larger plane that would make me draw more amps!! Got a good deal on it at HL's one day sale a few weeks ago.
Sep 19, 2006, 02:38 PM
Sweet Video Steve,
Thanks for sharing

my old alfa Corsair is still kicking ,,,,

otherwise I'd prolly pick up the GP because of the price ,,,
Really enjoyed my gws F4U .... until my buddy stuffed it ,,,

the ALFA Started with the old mpj mkI geared 25/*** something on 2s 1500

then went to an AXI 2212/20 on 3s 1500 THAT was a rocket ! Was Excellent in the wind and came in just at the top end of ALFA spec weight .. I mean a rocket !

now I have a cheap Park something or other outrunner with a little 3s1300 pack. it's quite light and pretty sedate .... relaxing warbird flying on calm evenings.

lightweight is critical but TOO light and ya may have trouble in the breeze .. guess thats when we go to a little heavier pack ...or not ..

no worries though ... kinda Alfa'd out .After pages upon pages written in the parkflyer forum...

best of luck to all the F4U jocks ~
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Sep 19, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
Oct 13, 2006, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
thanks for all your thoughts, I think I may go for the less expensive GP, fly it a bit, then upgrade to brushless. I can't wait!!!
dave
Oct 13, 2006, 01:55 PM
WHAT THE...
You just missed a good opportunity..Towerhobbies just had the GP Corsair on sale. I think it went all the way down to $31.00! I picked one up for $34 and some change..l.should have got two. MY first one was from the original batch and there were some finish problems, and the issue with the control rods. However it was quite a nice flier...even on the stock set-up. It does cry for more power. I installed the 400xt and combined that with a TP 1320 3s and it transformed into an excellent performer. There are some who used a 3s lipo with the brushed motor with success, my experiment failed as I was using a GWS 300li esc thinking it could handle the amps (only good to 8 amps) and reulted in two crashes. No damage at that piont! I did manage to crash it resulting in a near totla loss. I did put humpty back together again and it flies as if nothing happened.
I just got my new one only moments ago. The finish/build is considerably better than the first. The control rods are preinstalled, but it still has those crappy decals.
I also have an Alfa P-47 which flew on the suggested brushed setup...flies nice but wants more power. I can't say that one flies better than the other or that one builds easier than the other with the exception of the early issues with the GP Corsair.
Oct 16, 2006, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
OK SOLD! hehe, now that I have my plane chosen(GP Corsair), I would like to get a battery that would work with the stock brushed, but also be a good and long lasting battery for a brushless motor. I spoke with great planes and they said the most I could put in was a 1500mah 2S. Would a 1500mAH 3s fit in this plane or would that be too heavy? would the stock brushed motor be able to run off of a 1500mah 3s?

thanks!
Oct 19, 2006, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
hmmm
Oct 19, 2006, 02:51 AM
WHAT THE...
I will say it does fly ok on the Thunderpower 2100 2s with the stock motor. I did try a Thunder Power 1320 3S but I over-taxed my esc. The result was a crash...tried it again and the result was.....a crash. This was with a GWS 300li esc. There are reports of success with 3s, but I don't know about the longevity of the motor...

Quick Reply