Sep 16, 2006, 01:10 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Build Log

B17 Love Hate relationship. Progress report

Well the hate subsided enough for me to drag the B17 project out of the shed, again.

Love Hate? Well I do love the looks of the B17, but when your scratch building one, and every other thing you do seems to go wrong, you do tend to hate what you are creating, (a B17 or a Frankenstein?).

So this is the latest in what is now probably the forth year since I started this project, shelved it, started again, shelved it etc etc.

Some of you may have seen some pictures of its previous states, but I think they have now been achieved, so I'll bore you with them again.

It's 100" span, O.D. and scratch built, (man am I crazy), going to be powered by four Speed 600's 7v2 with Olympus belt drives, all hopefully turned by 14 nimh, (two 7 cell packs in a parallel series configuration).

I have been doing some of the easier tasks to try and fall back in love with her again, but problems keep popping up just to put me back in my place. So there's a 50-50 chance she could end up back in the shed again. But one day........

So here we go with the early days, (pre-Wright bros?, its beginning to feel that long ago).
It's and all balsa fuselage and tail with white polystyrene wings.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2006, 01:13 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

Next stage, still some time ago.

Now we reach the stage where I got carried away with the covering, yes that really is orange tissue. Well you see I'm a cheap-skate, if I've got it laying around, use it, don't buy something new.

The cowls, (rear parts), were glass and epoxy, I think there still is the details of how I did them in the 'Composites Fabrications' forum, called 'Protecting a plug with clingfilm'. See, told you I was cheap.

I did start to spray the back of the fuselage with primer, but then ran out. So that was another good excuse to put her back in the shed.
Sep 16, 2006, 01:17 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

Today

So now we are finally up to date. I ran out of other things to do, (yet more models, last one was my Vulcan), so out of the shed she came, had to evict the family of spiders though, (shame, they probably thought they were going to fly off on their holidays).

Some more fettling and some more cans of spray paint, (boy is that stuff expensive, wish I'd use leftover emulsion paint now), and she now sits as you see her.
Please no comments about not scale. I don't do scale. I build models to please me.

The are still plenty of problems, I don't like my home made retracts set up or the torque rod linkage. I still need to decide what connectors I'm going to use for the power to the wings.
And I still need to make the front radial cowls, I have roughed up a block of foam but have decided to think before leaping this time.

Hopefully it won't be back in the shed shortly, now she's wearing a nice new dress, I rather hope she will be a bit more understanding.

More one day......
Sep 16, 2006, 03:36 PM
Frequent Flyer
That's beautiful Ray!
Keep it going!

Brian
Sep 16, 2006, 03:48 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Very, very nice!! I love scratch built projects and I do understand the "Love-Hate" thing when I'm doing one as involved as that.

Kern
Sep 16, 2006, 06:15 PM
Team Extreme Flight
It's too cool to put back in the shed.
Sep 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
It's too cool to put back in the shed.
ditto.
Sep 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
Silent but deadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAMONDBACK
ditto.
Double Ditto!!! It's beauty. That is something I would like to build one day.
Sep 17, 2006, 07:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Thanks to all you for the comments. I think this time she will get finished, those spiders will just have to find another home.

Crash Jim - "...That is something I would like to build one day.", it's easy, just push that little switch to off that's labelled 'common sense'
Sep 17, 2006, 06:07 PM
Intermediate Multi
You would have been inspired in Columbus this weekend. The "Aluminum Overcast" was in town giving rides. My house is under the final approach to a small airport. Every 1/2 hour or so, I would hear those 4 radial engines as the plane was returning from a flight.

http://www.b17.org/

Tom
Sep 18, 2006, 06:07 AM
Keep going.......you have made fantastic progress, well done.

Gotta see this to the maiden flight.

Ian
Sep 18, 2006, 07:27 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
You would have been inspired in Columbus this weekend. The "Aluminum Overcast" was in town giving rides. My house is under the final approach to a small airport. Every 1/2 hour or so, I would hear those 4 radial engines as the plane was returning from a flight.

http://www.b17.org/

Tom
One of the reasons for using belt drives is they give a much better 'sound' than gearboxes. There is nothing worse than a scale radial model sounding like a turbo-prop.
Both my Mitchell and an old Transall C160 I had use(d) belt drives, they do give a nice 'rumble'.

Have finished shaping the foam core for the radial cowls, so its out with the clingfilm and glass cloth next.
Sep 21, 2006, 05:28 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

The frustration of being a genius!

The frustration of being a genius!

I wonder what its like. As I seem to be plagued by stupidity.

So I had, (had being the operative word), this blue foam shape turned up which was my master for producing the glass radial cowls.

Stupid here thought don't use the method that worked on the wing cowls, (what I refer to as the shells), but create a half female mould and lay up the glass that way.

I suppose I had better cut what could be a long story short, but I new 'idea' of using model casting compound, (the powder mixed with water type), didn't work. Plus I managed to basically destroy the foam plug.

So plug number two. Thought I would show a picture and brief explanation of how I made it.

Needed two discs of blue foam to get the thickness.
Back piece has a 6mm bolt through it, for the shaft.
Two small wood dowels, (probably not necessary), and some epoxy joined the disc together.
Bolt stuffed in to my drill chuck.
Pillar drill frame clamped horizontal on to bench.
Whiz the foam round and stab it with a chisel.
See, it easy.

I now have foam plug number two ready for......

Well I will think about it a bit longer this time, and probably go back to the cling film and balloon method. No the balloon isn't for banging myself on the head, it applies pressure to the glass on the plug. Though the bang on the head my work.

B17 - "Please don't lock me back in the shed again....."
Me - "Well........."
Sep 21, 2006, 01:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Oh dear, oh dear.......

I wonder if the plastic bowls that Christmas Puddings come in would be the right shape ?
Sep 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
e-flight in 24½th Century
While we here in the colonies have our share of 'scale masters' when it comes to building I am always in awe of the vast number of you from the UK who seem to go, as a matter of course, above and beyond when it comes to your scale models.

I am humbled to watch this project take place.

W

Quick Reply