Sep 14, 2006, 05:11 PM
Love to be in the Air
Thread OP
Careful!

Malfunctioned Blade CX - 0 for 2

So my Blade CX arrived. I get it out of the box and set it up.. spin up the blades to start to adjust the trim, spin the blades down.. spin them back up to check adjustments , only this time when I bring the throttle back down the blades don't stop, they even speed up enough to tip it over and throw it into a wall, the blades break, the flybar bends and breaks, I have to catch it and hold it with my foot to get the battery unpluged.. the motor is burned, I can smell it.. Not 1 minute out of the box and its completly ruined. I contacted the store I bought it from and they said I would have to contact the manufatuer, which I did. They are sending me a pre-paid label to ship it to them.. they will fix it (even the molded body is cracked in many places). But time to get the label, time to ship, time to fix, time to ship back.. I am without the heli for a good 4 weeks probably and I never even got off the ground. The only movement it did was when it tipped over and drove its self across the room and into a wall. Just want others looking at this heli to be aware that this might happen.
Last edited by schmots; Sep 20, 2006 at 06:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2006, 06:11 PM
/bin/ksh
Rare circumstance, the CX has a good reputation and most often flys out of the box.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I bet your replacement (fixed) CX will be good to go.

Steve
Sep 14, 2006, 06:45 PM
Love to be in the Air
Thread OP
Thanks Steve, I hope so. Was a discuraging first foray into rc heli's
Sep 14, 2006, 07:27 PM
I picked up a bcx last week. So far, all problems have been caused by pilot error. After 8 days, I'm flying around the basement pretty well.
Sep 15, 2006, 09:56 AM
Everyone crashes sometime
schmots,

My CX out of the box was good to fly. Made a few changes and now it flys even better. Still learning a few new skills heli related but the bird does quite well.

I am in Centreville, VA where abouts are you located.

CQ
Sep 15, 2006, 01:18 PM
Love to be in the Air
Thread OP
quite a bit south of you, Lynchburg. There is a local heli club here, I have a guy who was going to help me when I built up a raptor 30, contacted him to tell him it will be a bit longer till I do that as I had some odd troubles with my bcx and decided to wait till I was proficent on that to go on, he offered to help even with the bcx. However, just spinning up the blades for the small bit I did, was so exciting, and I am much calmer than I was when I made the first post
(Don't post 5 minutes after your heli dies)
I realize that I just got a bum 4-n-1 and the reciever just cut out. Horrible thing to have happened, but was just a fluke, I know it will be fixed, but I can't be without one for a month.. so I bought a second.. should be here monday. Will use the first when it comes back for parts or mods or just get a second crystal and fly both.

And for a positive note the manufacture couldn't have been better. Sympathetic for my crashed bird, upbeat about their product and steadfast that they will be able to make me a happy customer, which is half the battle in my opinion.

David
Sep 17, 2006, 01:22 PM
Yup, you are far south for a 'Quick' trip.

It is good to have someone with heli experience around to help you learn and give you pointers that steer you away from making bad mistakes that can turn into costly habits.

I have a Blade CP Pro and have been working on the simulator and just toying with the CPP till I build my confidence. And hopefully that will be soon.

Problem is, it is inevitable that you are going to crash and it will always cost some money to get going again. Sigh...
Sep 20, 2006, 06:12 PM
Love to be in the Air
Thread OP
Ok I bought another blade cx while waiting for my shipping label to send the first one off to be fixed. The new one shows up.. the battery won't charge. I check it in the others ones charge.. nope.. try the old battery it charges.. so

A. bad battery.

B. I notice the charger with the second one the battery connector is sunken into the case so you can't easily pull the plug out, you have to pull by the wires.

C. Charge the batter with the other charger and power on the tx, hook up the battery.. one of the servos responds.. one gets shoved all the way to one side and starts to heat up really fast.. no ammount of trim adjustment or stick movement before or after power on works..

D. the blades won't spin (hehe, opposite of the last one that wouldn't stop) Its a bad 4-n-1. I tried the old tx too (swaped crystals) just to make sure that wasn't it.

I have read such great stuff about this heli.. but I can't get a single one that works.

Now I get to contact the second store (which is already on my bad side.. stuff was missing from the pacakge, the screw driver and the velcro).

I just can't get a break.
Sep 20, 2006, 10:08 PM
Very discouraging first impression of the CX to say the least. Gulp......mine will be here tomorrow, I hope your experience is the exception, rather than the rule! I would be very suspicious of missing contents from the box! Are you absolutely positive that your purchase was "NEW"??? Maybe it was a return from another dissatisfied customer and the outlet that sold it to you tried to pawn it off as new? I ordered mine from Hobby Zone, they even give out a tech support number to call if you have questions/problems.
Sep 21, 2006, 08:41 AM
Love to be in the Air
Thread OP
I have had good experiance with Hobby Zone, my first Blade CX they sent me a return label to ship it back to them to be fixed. This one it turns out was a return that was "accidently" sent to me. The company is overnighting me a new one with a lable to return to them the bad.

I have read such great things about this heli, I am just having the worst luck :-)
Sep 21, 2006, 08:50 AM
Well now, that is encouraging news!
I'm sure you'll end up a happy customer when you get the new one!
Good luck!
Sep 21, 2006, 06:26 PM
And what's that old cliche about the "third time being the charm." Sure hope it works out that way for you.
Sep 21, 2006, 07:49 PM
Well darn.....got my new CX this afternoon and after charging the battery was ready for my first flight. NOTE: "I've been there, done that" with my lama V3 as far as crashing goes, so, so far not one crashing incident. BUT, out of the box, I cannot get a smooth hover no matter what I do. She wants to wander and sometimes gets into that infamous 3' plus or minus nose in toilet bowl routine. I even flew for a minute, set her down, and reset the battery with all applicable TX settings set to neutral like someone said works for them. Still, after a few seconds, off she goes, helter skelter as if having a mind of her own (kind of like my wife!). The upper blades seem to be tracking within proper tolerance and inner and main shafts seem to be straight (they shoud be, like I said, no crashes to date). Anywhoooo..............I emailed HobbyZone and hope that they can provide me with a solution, even if it means returning this CX for exchange for another. I've read tons of posts about the CX and just wish I could hover "out-of-the-box" like that Rob guy in the CX vidoe does! Oh well, we'll see what kind of response I get from my email to the support desk at HobbyZone gets!?
Sep 21, 2006, 08:13 PM
Just call me crash.
Give the flybar weights a firm pull to make sure they're all the way out on the ends. Not too hard, you'll rip the rubber. Then make triple sure the flybar is all loosey goosey and hinges freely on the head, and is not binding on the ball link.
Sep 21, 2006, 09:40 PM
Thx rocknbil, I'll check those things out!

Quick Reply