Climax models Axon build thread - RC Groups
Sep 14, 2006, 12:21 AM
Crashing planes since '05
Build Log

Climax models Axon build thread

Here is a link to the kit: http://www.cl-i-max.com/axon.shtml
Martin Hunter's Ezone review: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165906

Here I am with what will probably be another long winded build thread. This build looks simple enough (and well cut enough) that I think it will be the 1st that I don't have to actually build over plans.

I intend to power this model with a 400xt and a 3S 1200 Evo if it will fit (as I'm trying to stay within what I already own for the power system).

As I'm finding that my throat seems really sensitive to CA I'll be going slowly to start until I get a proper mask.

I started in order based on the well written/illustrated manual so the Elevator is 1st up. I lined it up along a straight edge, glued the outside ends lined up with a square, then gave the 3 center peices the same treatment. Once I had the inside and outside 90's in place I just assembled the rest of the peices, everything went together well and true. Once it was all layed out I then did the rest of the gluing.

If this is any indication, the build is going to go fast on this one (burning throat permitting).
Last edited by EP Dean; Sep 14, 2006 at 12:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
I've still got one of these in the box.. I guess I aught to get it started..
Sep 15, 2006, 12:23 AM
Okay, after some experimentation with airflow through my basement I've now cleared the direct fumes from my CA. I can still manage to make the basement stink of it but at least I'm not inhaling it directly.

Now that I can sit down there longer I've taken a bigger chunk out of the model.

Tail feathers are now complete short of covering, the fuselage is as complete as it can be at this stage and I've even manage to start on the wing. This really is going together fast.
Sep 15, 2006, 12:26 AM
That CA will eat you up..

I've noticed after long bouts of building, I get extreme headaches..

I have started wearing ventilator masks with charcoal inserts... kinda a bummer, but beats the headache...
Sep 15, 2006, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
That CA will eat you up..

I've noticed after long bouts of building, I get extreme headaches..

I have started wearing ventilator masks with charcoal inserts... kinda a bummer, but beats the headache...
I too ended up with a headache and had to take a break earlier today. On the upside I'll take a headache any day over the burning inflamed throat I was getting from direct inhalation.

I think I too will have to jump onto the charcoal filtered bandwagon ultimately.
Sep 15, 2006, 12:35 AM
I am lucky, I don't get the inflamed throat, however, I do get some pretty stopped up nasal passages..
Sep 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
non-recovering R/C addict
I've been wanting to buy one of these Axon kits when they reappear. Is there a clear canopy in the kit like the pics on the Climax website?
Sep 15, 2006, 12:33 PM
There was no canopy with my kit. I took a look at the website again and I do see that the top image of it in the bones shows a canopy but the rest going down the page dont. I never actually noticed the canopy before as I've mostly seen pics of Martin's build. I would have to assume that the canopy is either someones custom work or a one-off from Climax.
Sep 15, 2006, 12:35 PM
Leave me alone!
I'm testing my bad memory here but if I recall, the canopy used in the prototype construction pics was from Sig - possibly the 1/2a sport

Martin
Sep 15, 2006, 01:52 PM
Motor Maniac
If you are CA-sensative, look into using Superphatic glue (you can get it at Hobby Lobby). It is like white wood glue, but dries faster. Doesn't take the place of CA when you need a quick bond, but works well for structures that are self-jigging or are build on a flat board.
Sep 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
As far as I know, I'm not sensative to the contact, it's the fumes..
Sep 15, 2006, 07:27 PM
Kits should be available before the end of next week.

There is a canopy on my silver version pictured on the web site.
If I recall correctly its made from a 7" Sig canopy. The kit doesn't
include a canopy. It seemed to me that this design had the potential
to be dressed up in many different ways and felt that people might
want to customize it themselves, like Martins Elvis, which I really
liked...

More pictures of the silver version with canopy here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=Axon

David
Sep 16, 2006, 12:33 AM
Well, I've been sizing up my batteries, and its looking like I dont have a good fit in my stockpile. So I'm going to have to look around for a 3S battery that can handle ~10a and fit.

No building updates for tonight as I've been on kid duty. I'll probably just measure up the battery tray and surf for a suitable candidate.
Sep 17, 2006, 01:00 AM
Well, still have yet to decide on a battery for this particular model.

For those that have gone before me, would this kind of power be acceptable: 7x6 SF prop, 8850 rpm, 9.1 amps, 96 watts?

I'm trying to get under 10 amps continuous so I can consider a battery that would fit properly, like a LiPower 730 as its 50x34 and the compartment for a battery is roughly 64mmx 36mm. Most batteries above that 730 size would be a very tight squeeze.

Here is what I've accomplished today, not much really. Just finished the other half of the wing then attached the wings to the fuse. I'm hoping to get more done on it tomorrow though as its supposed to be a rainy day.
Sep 18, 2006, 01:23 PM
Sunday consisted of more wing work. I've now got them finished up and sanded, and have also finished up and sanded the ailerons.

The only snag I've hit so far this build (and its a very minor one) is that the scrap 1/8 stick we are supposed to use to reinforce the wing tips doesnt really exist. The trim ends from the fuselage and wings dont leave enough to work with. I was able to get away with 4 peices that were trimmed from the fuselage but the trim from the wings didnt give me any one peice long enough for the rest. I happened to have a balsa stripper so I just cut a few off the same stock that held the original sticks. If one more stick was added to the sheet this would solve that problem. I have noticed that all my sheets are marked R1 (revision 1?) so it may already have been addressed, I can't be sure.

I also made one mistake thats minor in the ailerons. I have the ends that allow for the carbon fiber on the wrong ends of the ailerons. Once installed the ribs of the ailerons wont match up to the ribs in the wing. Its only asthetics and I'm not covering in transparent on this model, but its a niggling boo-boo that bugs me anyways.

Next will be sheeting. I'm going to leave the attachment of the landing gear wire as late as I can as I find it easier to work on the fuse while it is still sitting flat. This way I can sheet and trim 90% of the fuse on a flat surface.