Sep 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP
Question

If you could only buy one composite fabric, what would it be?

The title pretty much sums up my question. Now for some particulars... Say you could only have one fabric to do the following:

Build a fusilage
Skin a wing
Make servo covers
Assorted pieces for flying planes

I understand there will be compromises in strength, cost, ease of use, etc... but keeping all those things in mind which would you use?

From what I have experienced 2oz or 3oz fiberglass will do just about anything you ask of it with good strength, at a good price and is easy to work with.

Ok, I will shut up and listen...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2006, 05:12 PM
working to the closest cm

3oz crows foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
The title pretty much sums up my question. Now for some particulars... Say you could only have one fabric to do the following:

Build a fusilage
Skin a wing
Make servo covers
Assorted pieces for flying planes
Hi
Rather than the obvious - Why would you want to limit yourself

In the beginning of my composite journey I used 3 oz crows foot (satin?) weave to build 7 cell electric fuzelarges (drapes really well) and at the time it was also commonly used to bag wings.

Today I got a box full of different cloths Kevlar, carbon and a number of different glass cloths.

- again why compromise? The materials are the cheap part of the hobby its your own personal time that costs.

cheers Jeff

cheers Jeff
Sep 13, 2006, 06:39 PM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP
Its more of an academic discussion. It just seems to me with all this talk of kevlar and carbon, that the lowly fiberglass has been forgotten. With a bit of judicous reinforcement fiberglass works really well...

Jay
Sep 13, 2006, 06:47 PM
Come out swinging
3oz bias weave carbon cloth. It could be layered where more strength is required, or used as a single layer for wing skins and servo covers.

Sean
Sep 13, 2006, 08:05 PM
Is that S-glass or E-glass? If forced to use only one, then you want the lightest possible so that the number of layers can be controlled. So probably 1.4 oz S-glass.

OK so I have 3 weights of S-glass, 8 weights of E-glass, 5 of carbon including IM carbon and 3 weightso f kevlar all in the basement...
Latest blog entry: Minimoa Restoration
Sep 13, 2006, 08:51 PM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP
Actually the idea of 1.4oz S-glass seems perfect. Two layers are stronger than one...

I hate to say it but if we were going on sheer appearance carbon would win hands down.
Sep 14, 2006, 05:45 AM
find me @samotage
5.7 oz crowsfoot carbon gets my vote!

It's plain delicious and finger lickin' good!
Sep 14, 2006, 05:47 AM
find me @samotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin_4505

- again why compromise? The materials are the cheap part of the hobby its your own personal time that costs.

cheers Jeff
This is a superlative comment... so so true. If I billed hobby time at my normal rate, gawd knows what it would be worth!
Sep 14, 2006, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage
5.7 oz crowsfoot carbon gets my vote!

It's plain delicious and finger lickin' good!
Dito here!!

Though I am working more with glass as of late due to co$t

Paul
Sep 14, 2006, 02:43 PM
93g carbon or 80g glass
I hate 1oz glass. Really hate it, it's a nightmare to work with. If kevlar was just a bit more user-friendly(i mean, if it could be cout easily after the resin has cured), then120g kevlar would be my choice.
On my basement i have 4 diferent glass cloths, 2 diferent carbon cloths and kevlar. It's just easier to use the right fabric for each part
regards,
Chets
Sep 14, 2006, 05:30 PM
Nucking Futs
I vote for the carbon simply for the bling factor. It does pretty much everything well. It's fairly easy to work with, cuts well, sands easily and can be the finished look without paint if desired.

Downside? carbon splinters under the fingernail!!! OMG let me tell you about pain!

RJ
Sep 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
what!?... this is like saying you can stay with the same woman for the rest of your life!...
Sep 14, 2006, 08:58 PM
While I have to agree that limiting yourself would be unwise, if I had to choose only one I would go with FG.
It is less expensive and can be layered up very strong by orienting the weave in different directions.
I have built many wings and fuses and have used glass, kevlar and carbon and I think done right, in most cases Glass can be strong enough for most of our applications. Of course carbon is prettier and stronger and kevlar absorbs shock better but still glass can handle most of what we do, and it is much easier to get right now.

But I sure hope it never comes to choosing only one......

TIM
Sep 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
find me @samotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
what!?... this is like saying you can stay with the same woman for the rest of your life!...
Too funny... So we have one woman in the bedroom, many planes and fabrics in the shed - everybody happy!

Quick Reply