May 22, 2019, 07:44 AM
Rich, I think it's only natural to ebb and flow in this hobby. I've had a few summers when I never reached for a plane. It's good to have other interests too and your stuff will always be there waiting for you. Since I've never had a consistent flying partner, I don't seem to mind too much when I'm the only one out there! It's kind of like kiteboarding around here...if you wait for others to come out and join you, you'll be waiting an awfully long time.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2019, 09:00 AM
Rene, how about posting up some 2019 pics of Willow Creek/Blue Mesa site right now to get the juices flowing!?
May 24, 2019, 09:02 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Hm... I must be in a time warp, ‘cuz I don’t think the 2019 Blue Mesa has occurred yet!
May 24, 2019, 11:41 AM
formerly Juddkleinman
Looks like Sunday could be good at Smith. Tom, Rich??
May 24, 2019, 05:49 PM
Rocky Mountain High
Rene and I flew an hour or so today at Blue Mesa. 20 to 25 mph constant wind. Join us if you can.
We can meet you there any day, anytime.
May 24, 2019, 10:37 PM
I meant pics of the site this year with grasses blowing in the wind, etc...not the event. That is some serious wind! Off to Lake Powell for a week and after that it's on!
May 24, 2019, 11:34 PM
Hey Judd I'm open to some flying on Sunday , planes are on charge and ready just let me know when.
May 25, 2019, 03:06 AM
Cleaned out my messy hobby room and guess what I found............a wicked wing and might even have time to get it built for the event, so looking forward to this! So Mr. Swan.......how do I Sawntise my wing so I might even stand a chance of survival?
May 25, 2019, 07:05 AM
My advice LP is to not use too much tape over entire wing to keep it light. I've overtaped in the past and it makes the wing come out too heavy. An X pattern across trailing edge both top and bottom and then the rest of the tape towards front. Ya better search a build thread. Welcome back and can't wait to see you!
May 25, 2019, 07:40 AM
Thx for the tip........and nope I’m not back yet for another week.
Counted the days that I was gone since New Year’s Day and it’s at about 3 weeks and that included the 3 days I was up with you up at FFF.
May 26, 2019, 07:54 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
Great day at Smith today! Rich, Tom and I got up there around 2:00 and the wind was already well over 20 and straight on. The first hour we flew a few 20 minute rounds, changing out planes as the wind got stronger. I flew Mikes Jart and it was a blast and handled the big wind great. Then it got really strong and started to go to for east of south. Rich and Tom grabbed their anemometers and we went out to the edge just to see how hard it was blowing and and holy.... we almost got blown off our feet. the top gust we recorded was at 80! that went on for only about 15 minutes and then it calmed down and was really good again for another hour but it keeps creeping toward SE and finely it was not flyable.

When we got there we found the Petapilots Longe pushed down right up to the right side of Mikes plaque. It had to have been kicked over by some drunk kids up there. After the wind pushed to far south east to fly we spent a half an hour rebuilding the wall and hoping the wind would come back around. No such luck on the wind but we got the wall rebuilt quite nicely.

Good times!!!!
Last edited by Mountain Soarer; May 27, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
May 26, 2019, 08:04 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash

Smith Mountain

It was a sad day at Smith Mountain. Some vandals knocked down half of the pilots lounge. I will post some pics later. Mikes memorial plaque is still there and undamaged. I suggest we put together a rebuild group. Only those with good backs as those rocks are heavy. On the bright side Judd , Tom and I got in some really good flying. The wind was a very steady 25 till we notice a big dust cloud coming across the valley. It got over 60 on my meter , but I couldn't watch it in that much wind . Toms meter said it peaked at 80. We could hardly stand up. Then it was gone and we all flew again. We all had some carnage, but all planes will fly another day. I see Judd already posted.
May 27, 2019, 12:05 AM
And Repairs
Thanks for the flight reports! Makes me think about the day I was there 3 or 4 years ago on the way to the fall Blue Mesa event. Got skunked at Smith that day, but had a great next day with light winds at Big Mesa. Flew my Alula with a pair of bald eagles there. One of those great moments where flying alone is sometimes just fine.

Sorry to hear about the pilots lounge. But glad the important rocks supporting the plaque are in place.
Last edited by TyFlies; May 27, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
May 27, 2019, 03:12 AM
Hey Ty,

Come out to Blue Mesa next month. Have not seen you for a few years now.

LP
May 27, 2019, 07:29 AM
And Repairs
Would really like to be there. There’s a chance I can pull it off, but not sure. The 30 hours or so of round-trip drive time makes it a pretty big commitment.
Last edited by TyFlies; May 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply