Colorado - The Western Slope - Page 627 - RC Groups
Dec 04, 2017, 11:39 PM
Looking good. Was hoping to get out there saturday but got busy at the house. Seems to always be the case.

Question for my failing memory, generally differential in aileron is a bit more up than down or the other way around? I have never used it, so curious.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2017, 11:58 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
60% up 40% down
Dec 05, 2017, 09:13 AM
That's what I thought. Well after combining a few programs and getting things sorted, it seems this morning I have the D130 set up, and a new base program for all other dynamics... thanks to Ian's work combined with mine... now elevator and aileron triple rates on different switches, and lowest rate can be changed in flight if needed. Modified what Ian had a bit... another triple switch turns on camber control or snapflaps. all looks good. now to wait for huge wind. And move on to next bit of building.
Dec 05, 2017, 06:05 PM
Gents, this whole Garvin thing is a blessing in disguise! I love the look of the new location and am excited to stand closer to the front. Can't wait!

Paul, nice work on the BIG D. Hopefully all those switches aren't too confusing in flight!
Dec 05, 2017, 06:06 PM
Note to self, stop using so many damn exclamation points!!!
Dec 05, 2017, 06:21 PM
Obsessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by acclivity
That's what I thought. Well after combining a few programs and getting things sorted, it seems this morning I have the D130 set up, and a new base program for all other dynamics... thanks to Ian's work combined with mine... now elevator and aileron triple rates on different switches, and lowest rate can be changed in flight if needed. Modified what Ian had a bit... another triple switch turns on camber control or snapflaps. all looks good. now to wait for huge wind. And move on to next bit of building.
Perfect for Bird Springs! I had been thinking about snapping that one up myself.
Dec 05, 2017, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris country
Gents, this whole Garvin thing is a blessing in disguise! I love the look of the new location and am excited to stand closer to the front. Can't wait!

Paul, nice work on the BIG D. Hopefully all those switches aren't too confusing in flight!
Yes, i think the 'new' Garvin will be better in many ways. Am gonna set up all my other planes with same switch setup so I can work it each flight and remember. lol
Dec 06, 2017, 12:34 PM
Hey Dominic, I didn't know the Cali guys paid any attention to us back here! Take a road trip up this way sometime and we'll give you the 'Tour De DS Hills'. Oh yeah, just don't bring anything that you would be bummed dinging up on landing.
Dec 07, 2017, 04:21 PM
Judd and I are headed up to Garvin 2.0 to pick up sticks and rocks in the LZ.

Flight conditions are good, but it's too stinkin' cold.
.............bet we fly a little anyway.............
Dec 08, 2017, 11:50 AM
formerly Juddkleinman
No flying yesterday. Too cold on the fingers at 35. I did work up a sweat clearing stumps, branches and rocks. Its looking good although the closer you look the more you find. I might look into getting a skid steer or a back hoe up there at some point to pull some big rocks. that said they sit pretty low and if we get some nice grass going up there in the spring we may not even notice them. All and all it is looking good and I would fly and slow landing ship like either of my NAN models or my Attacko up there as is.
Dec 08, 2017, 12:12 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thank you again for all the work, Judd. Remember, us'in non-Paonia'ians will be glad to help out with a work party next spring if you and Mike want to wait that long. Also, let us know if there's any out-of-pocket expenses as we can definitely help out on those promptly.

... Greg
Dec 08, 2017, 12:56 PM
Obsessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris country
Hey Dominic, I didn't know the Cali guys paid any attention to us back here! Take a road trip up this way sometime and we'll give you the 'Tour De DS Hills'. Oh yeah, just don't bring anything that you would be bummed dinging up on landing.
Hey, that sounds great! I know Bruce has been talking about it for a while too.

I normally don't drop by here, but news of big fast DS planes travels equally fast!
Dec 08, 2017, 05:58 PM
Yeah Chris, Bruce called me, i think a year ago or so, as he was passing through CO wondering about Monarch. But the weather wasn't good, so it was a no go. I have tried to talk Spencer into coming out. But our good wind is the same time that there is good wind for Weldon, so I can see preferring to stay there and fly that site... on a bad day groove day it's about our average groove day, and when it's smooth, there isn't much out here that comes close to that smooth (ie. when black swan and dr's were smooth to us, weldon fliers would say conditions y were ratty). And the landing is cake at Weldon... most of our spots are closer to BSP type landings, and worse.

I would be up for visitors when we have the spring winds, would certainly be interesting to see results per wind speed at this altitude vs what they get down lower. Bruce would be the ultimate show of what you can do in the thinner air because he is just beyond amazing as a pilot.
Dec 08, 2017, 06:45 PM
Obsessed
Paul is right. California is happy land when it comes to slopes and landing zones. We're very fortunate.

And of course having Bruce and Spencer around to give us pointers is priceless, and has saved countless aircraft.
Dec 08, 2017, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
And of course having Bruce and Spencer around to give us pointers is priceless, and has saved countless aircraft.
My day one at Weldon. Myself, Bruce and Marcus on the hill. Bruce explains the groove to me, where to go, where to turn, where to not go, etc. He then proceeds to fly amazingly fast, doing everything he told me not to do and going everywhere he told me not to go. LOL.

I am pretty sure he and his planes are wired up in a personal matrix we can not see.