Colorado - The Western Slope - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 06, 2006, 08:48 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash

Not looking good

Flood warnings are in effect right now and its been raining all day.Doesnt look good for tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2006, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, and supposed to keep raining into next week... I'm starting to feel like I live in Washington State again... Enough water already...
Oct 06, 2006, 10:52 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Well... Cripe.

The point of this weekend was to try to fly Lands End. And to have plenty of options for off-angle wind. With all the rain, all the optional spots will be sucking adobe mud wallows. Which leaves only the chance of Lands End -- which would be fine if wet. And I got a glimpse of it this evening -- it's not white, so could be fine.

But, for my flying dollar, (car rental and gas) it doesn't seem to be a very good investment. I cancelled my reservation and didn't pick up the car today.

Possibilities: The rental place opens at 7:30, and if the day looks good and the wind seems on, I might do it anyway.

Or... Donnie was busy in the morning but planning on coming up in the afternoon. Maybe I'll hook up with him for a quick afternoon run up to the top to see what it's like.

Dramatic weather means dramatic photos and video, so I'll be sorry to miss that! But for now, consider us pretty much, nearly surely, almost positively canceled. Or rather postponed for another time.

--Greg
Oct 06, 2006, 11:11 PM
Never say no til sunup
Oct 06, 2006, 11:17 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash

Hey Mike

What about fishing ? I got foul weather gear.Was the gunny running clear up stream from pleasure park? I love to fly fish too
Oct 07, 2006, 03:21 AM
My skepticism remains on high alert. At the end of the day it cleared off, and there was actually a very interesting sunset, with a rainbow, the Book Cliffs wreathed in clouds and glowing in the gold evening light. But it's after 1:00 am now, and RAINING again.

We'll see...
Oct 07, 2006, 10:56 AM
It rained hard early this AM, at 6, and then it moved off to the N. Now is partly cloudy in Paonia, and sunny at my house. Wind at Orchard city (below Cedaredge) is currently NE@5, which is normal for this time of day. Radar shows rain moving off N of GJ, and the cloudiness with it. It still remains 40% chance for light rain this afternoon.

I'm gonna watch the wind for a bit, and if it gets S or SW, I may just drive up and see what it's like.

The North Fork of the Gunnison is high and muddy, but I think the lower Gunnison Gorge would be clear, as most of the rain fell in the drainages W of there. But I think it would be difficult to wade across the North Fork right now; maybe this afternoon, I'll try Pleasure Park for some fishing. Gonna watch the river for a while, too...
Oct 07, 2006, 10:59 AM
It's nearly 9:00 and I'm not up there.

My plan:
Ride up with Donnie this afternoon and fly 'til we puke. Weather report for Grand Mesa is calling for thunderstorms and snow showers this afternoon, but also W SW winds. Perfect!

We'll probably be up there between 1:30 and 2:00. See ya there!
Oct 07, 2006, 12:01 PM
Sounds great...I will try and see you up there!
-POB
Oct 07, 2006, 12:10 PM
I'm headed up to Land's End area now. I'll call on Cell Phone when it's good.
Oct 07, 2006, 11:08 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash

Well Lands end????

How was it? Joe evans And I flew flat top today and it was almost to much for me.We had a great time. I wish more guys flew there as it would be fun to do some combat.
Oct 07, 2006, 11:34 PM
Suspended Account
You could get up flat top???? I thought with all the rain it would certainly be far too muddy. Not that it mattered as I was stuck home with the kids all day.
Oct 08, 2006, 12:39 AM
Lands End was Great!!!!

Met Donnie and Greg at the top the wind was perfect. Also Mike F. was there for a short time.
I must say standing on the egde and tossing one of my little planes out over the edge is very intense.
I think my heart was almost near max at the start of the flight... Well more like maxed for the first flight.
Landing was better than I thought I could handel. Still trying to learn how to fly a 48" piece of foam.

Greg always does a better job describing the outings so hopefully he will add pictures and verbage!!!!!

-POB
Oct 08, 2006, 02:35 AM
Interesting day at the slope today!

Donnie and I made it up to Lands End around 1:30. The waterfall was blowing back up the cliff in 30+mph wind. Tatters of clouds were drifting up the cliff face, then clearing away revealing sunshine, then more clouds.

POB was right behind us and the wind was a little more westerly, so we went to the parking lot about halfway between the shelter house and the turnoff to our camping spot from our July trip. Mike Furcolow drove up and joined us.

Donnie threw off first and zipped around with a combat wing. Lift was great! POB hadn't had the opportunity to throw his plane off such an intimidating slope before, but he stepped up, jitters and all, and threw his ResurRaider. (This was once Arbo's>Me>Donnie>POB) He's done a great job rebuilding it and it flew great.

I had a confusing last minute issue/frenzy with my channel (Donnie had another radio that was on one of my alternates) and got the crystal changed out and the tx swapped. Threw out my Moth which had been flying quite well recently. It floated right up, but was way out of trim and was even hyperstalling badly. What? I was playing with the radio settings and flipping through switches trying to isolate the problem, but managed to loose pretty much all connection with the plane and watched helplessly while it dove straight down and down and down and down (all in about 1.36 seconds) and halted abruptly on the jagged rocks below. A moment later, the sound of a mighty WHACK! drifted up loud and clear.

Cripe.

It took me a couple minutes to realize that I'd tried to fly the Moth on the Radio setting for my Alula. Close, but no dice.

It looked like it had broken into several pieces from the edge where we stood. Also looked like a loooong hike to get the wreckage back. What do ya do? I grabbed another plane and flew. Some time on the Bee. Some good fun with the Talus (and a perfect landing!) Then Mike had to leave and POB had to leave and the wind was shifting off toward the south a bit.

Donnie and I went down the road toward more direct lift, and toward what Donnie thought might be a way down the cliff. Ha! Yeah right! We'd have to drive down to the switchback below and boulder hop for an hour to get there! But Donnie poked around and found a way part way down that looked like it would go the rest of the way. And once he got started, he just kept going at it while I watched from the top and yelled "It's just a toy plane! Don't risk anything!"

He was about halfway down when a thick cloud rolled up the slope and blocked my view. Then it started raining pretty hard. He was down there wearing his trademark trenchcoat and jeans while I sat and looked into the fog and went through hypothermia scenarios. When the fog cleared and I could see him again, he'd actually passed where we'd been flying and the downed plane. I could hear the lost model alarm from on top, but he couldn't from down there. I directed him and he gathered up the Moth carcass.

Then he headed back across the boulders while another cloud rolled up and obscured everything. By the time it had cleared, he'd made it back to the top by an even more foolish looking route -- all amped up and exhilarated from his efforts.

After that, we moved on down the road, closer to the top of road coming up, and Donnie flew until he got cold, I carved graceful spirals with my Spinner in wonderful Spinner lift. But couldn't seem to get it to roll very quickly at all (even for a Spinner). Then I tried to pull spoilerons to land, but the plane ballooned up in a big way. What? Something wrong? Got it on the ground and discovered that the ailerons were only going down, and not up. Wacky! Might have gotten moisture in my radio. Or... ?

The sun set and we came back down.

Sunday? I'm not sure. I'd be up for it, but I'm not sure I have a ride now. Donnie's supposed to call in the morning.

--Greg
Oct 08, 2006, 11:57 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
You could get up flat top???? I thought with all the rain it would certainly be far too muddy. Not that it mattered as I was stuck home with the kids all day.
It was just a little damp on the road and on the top.At the bottom there was a truck up to its axles in mud.I was worried but it wasnt bad at all. We were going to call you , but you posted before about having to stay home with your son.