Colorado - The Western Slope - Page 4 - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2006, 01:01 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind

Busy Flying Schedule:

Okay, here's the local fun as I know it:

This Saturday: 7:30 am at Raven Ridge. (North of GJ) Be there or be home in bed, warm and asleep. The morning SE seems to be pretty good lately and we'll hope for more. I've gotta be off the hill by 9:30 or so. POB says he'll be there.

Sunday: Bright and early at Brooster Ridge. (West of Mack) I'll probably camp out the night before and get up and fly as soon as there's some kind of lift. Brooster really is a good ridge for the typical a.m. wind. There's a looooong straight section of rim that's good fun! Bring it right in close and tight. In-your-face MOM type flying. Great combat location, so I hope I'm not the only one there. Donnie says he may make it.

The weekend of October 7-8: We're still on! There's no further information because we're going to kind of wing it (so to speak) based on the wind and weather. Best case is probably Lands End in a South. We'll improvise from there. PM me a phone number if you want to be sure to be in on the details as they develop.

I'm semi-planning on camping near/on Reeder Mesa, as it'll be warmer than on top, though it's unlikely that it's a good place to fly in the morning. The whole weekend is less of an "Event" than it is a "Statement of Intent". And we intend to fly!

--Greg
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'm issuing a Statement of Intent on being there, where ever "there" ends up being.
I went out this morning to Morning Glory Hill and sat for an hour with only very light breezes. I knew I shouldn't have atttempted to annoy the wind gods by loading the Blade. Made a nice spot for waxing the car while I waited, though...
Sep 30, 2006, 05:43 PM
POB and I made it out to Raven Ridge this morning, though we were slacker enough that it wasn't exactly 7:30. It was something of a bust, as it was too early for good thermals and the wind wasn't blowing. We threw and caught and floated on near-nothing and made it as fun as could be. Paul's Boomerang is pretty durn light and he was doing well.

Not having more than a triffle of lift was bad, but not as bad as what the future holds: Donnie leaping up and down doing his Mockery Dance and singing "I told you so! I told you so!"

Combat, tomorrow, Brooster Ridge.

Greg, out.
Oct 04, 2006, 09:54 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Well its now the 4th. How does it look for this weekend. I need to choose between lake powell fishing or flying. Does the weather look like a flying weekend or a fishing weekend???
Oct 04, 2006, 11:56 PM
Hey Dragon2,

Weather forecast in Paonia for Sat and Sun;

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday

And you know how reliable weather forecasts are, 4 days in advance.

I have my eye on fishing the Lower Gunnison at Pleasure Point as an alternate. I was there on Sunday, had great dry fly fishing all day for big browns.....
Oct 05, 2006, 01:43 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
That is a pretty brookie,,,,,,,,,Nick
Oct 05, 2006, 07:22 AM
Whoop!

Looks like we're in for some fun! Expected to be windy, and from the SW, so that should put us in good shape for Lands End. Moisture may play a factor, too. I hope it doesn't get too deep and white.

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...hange+Location

I'm renting a car, but that won't get me through the mud to Reeder. Play that one by ear. Should be fine for Lands End as long as it's rain and not snow.

Anyone planning on showing up who hasn't posted? PM me and we'll exchange cell numbers.

Initial plan (subject to change): Saturday morning, 9:00, Top of the Lands End road. Okay?

I never reported on last Sunday. Lift was good a Brooster Ridge. Great place to fly the morning E/SE, and I got it. Flew everything I had. Fun, but not ballistic. Donnie showed up and we knocked each other around a little. I'll go ahead and brag about my WIN -- before he gets arorund to note that I hit the slope an embarrassing 11 times with no provocation. He only knocked me down once.

Then, in a final moron move, I left my Bee behind where it landed the last time. Donnie had to drive back out and rescue it while I was at work.

That's the scoop. See ya Sat!

--Greg
Oct 05, 2006, 12:53 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash

Hey Mike

Did you get that brookie in the gunnison? I live about 1/2 hour from the pleasure park, but havent been down there in a few years.The rainbow fishing was great there till the whirl came along.Does Leroy still run it down there?.I dont think lake Powell will happen this weekend. Rain is forcast for there also.I have a 50' houseboat and a nitro bassboat, but they will just have to wait.Maybe the gunny is where I will go too. May see you there.Look for a white ford powerstroke with a green graphic on the side.
Oct 05, 2006, 02:21 PM
there is no spoon...
Do you think I could get my Suzuki Verona up there? I could bring the Jeep, but it would cost a fortune in fuel. I think I can see it (Grand Mesa) from the highway when I roll through in my big truck. I'm not sure how to get there. God I really need that motorcyle! Or a snowmobile soon.

Aaron
Oct 05, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cap:

I don't know what a Suzuki Verona is, but I'm renting a Chevy Aveo, which is essentially a motorized skateboard. Same car worked for me last time. Lands End Road is gravel and fine.

--Greg
Oct 05, 2006, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavawing

I never reported on last Sunday. Lift was good a Brooster Ridge. Great place to fly the morning E/SE, and I got it. Flew everything I had. Fun, but not ballistic. Donnie showed up and we knocked each other around a little. I'll go ahead and brag about my WIN -- before he gets arorund to note that I hit the slope an embarrassing 11 times with no provocation. He only knocked me down once.

Then, in a final moron move, I left my Bee behind where it landed the last time. Donnie had to drive back out and rescue it while I was at work.

That's the scoop. See ya Sat!

--Greg
Just to set the record straight, Greg knocked me down twice and I knocked him down once.
AND, driving back to get Gregs plane was NOT something I HAD TO do. That was a gesture of kindness that came from the bottom of my heart.
Hay!! I NEVER said I was good, but I'm not ALL bad.

Donnie
Last edited by Fly-Con; Oct 06, 2006 at 05:02 AM.
Oct 06, 2006, 12:55 PM
Donnie: Thank you so much for the retrieval. I'll hold you close in my heart as well. Right up until the next shout of "COMBAT ON!"

Lands End: Eek! It's totally wet today. The report from Mesa Lakes (closest weather station to the top -- and no wind report) shows wet and above freezing. I'm not quite sure what a negative amount of snow means. But the temps so far look like they're keeping it in control.

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/rom....cgi?stn=MESC2

I can't see the Mesa from town due to the rainy clouds, so my observations aren't quite reality based.

Saturday is expected to be clearer with thunderstorms. Could be good. Could be intermittent. Could be crap. I'll be out enjoying it. Might be hiking in the rain instead of flying or something. Still planning for 9:00 am as a starter.

With this wetness, Reeder Mesa is probably a no-go. Sucking mud. Whitewater hill is pretty gravelly on the approach, so we could probably go there, but it's no big thrill as a hill. Mike F: How's Morning Glory or your other sites if its no fun on top?

--Greg
Oct 06, 2006, 01:19 PM
Suspended Account
Well, this one is looking sucky for me. My wife will be out all day tomorrow, which would be ok, but my son is now sick... probably won't be better tomorrow..
Oct 06, 2006, 02:32 PM
Not looking brilliant up there, but I'm still willing to try. Found this weather report from the Powderhorn Ski area. Comes out of Grand Junction, but looks to be adjusted for elevation:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/CO...ity=Grand+Mesa
Oct 06, 2006, 03:08 PM
It rained here in Paonia all day yesterday and last night. I went out yesterday PM to Pleasure Park, and it was plenty muddy. Most of my really good hills here are in the adobe hills, which means wicked mud.

BUT;

It dries really fast, and today so far has been just cloudy, with most of the rain going W of here. If it holds out and stays dry, there's hope. I'll drive up this afternoon late and see what gives....

Morning Glory Hill for E winds has a treacherous crossing just wide enough for a truck. It's fun when it's dry, maybe too risky when wet. But it would only require about a 1/4 mile walk on the level to get to the lip....