Colorado - The Western Slope - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 15, 2006, 11:06 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Great, guys! Sounds like we're stirring things up a bit. Welcome Paul/POB427! Try not to waste as much time around RC Groups as I do. (Not just because you have better things to do, but because I'll have to step it up to stay ahead...)

Andy: C'mon over! We'll try to show you a good time. The photos are all done with smoke and mirrors.

Today was supposed to be The Day To Fly™ but a big storm in the night has turned the local dirt into the local snot. Wind seems to be picking up and is expected to stay up. It won't take long to dry out, so LET'S FLY!

I guess that means you, PaulB. Donnie's off to Glacier and PaulD is working, I think. Early afternoon? Expected to be from the south. If it's SW, 25 Rd and High Line. If it's SE, Raven Ridge. If it's fully S, then... Whitewater Hill? Or maybe Whitewater anyway, as it'll do for everything S-ish.

--Greg
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
Whitewater (that's where you go through the gate at the GJ flying field right?) looks good. Less chance of rain down there. Gotta hit Community today for work, perhaps I should throw the Thorn in the car.
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 12, 2011 at 12:57 AM.
Sep 15, 2006, 11:30 AM
Steady rain and low clouds just started here about 8:30 in Paonia. Of course, we are on the other side of Grand Mesa....
Looks like it's gonna stay a while....
Sep 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Whitewater (that's where you go through the gate at the GJ flying field right?) looks good. Less chance of rain down there. Gotta hit Community today for work, perhaps I should throw the Thorn in the car.
Yip. That's Whitewater. Color me skeptical, but I'm not going to throw my Thorn out at Whitewater right away. That hill is less steep and not so high. I want bigger lift for that much wood. But I guess if it's blowing big...

(I'll mention here that the main reason "I'm not going to throw my Thorn out..." is because I haven't built it yet.)

Throw something else in the car too! Something I can whack.

--Greg
Sanding.
Sep 15, 2006, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavawing
I haven't built it yet.
Quit yapping on RCgroups and get to building.
Sep 15, 2006, 12:22 PM
Yap.

Just because you can finish a Thorn in a day-and-a-half doesn't mean I can.

--Greg
Sep 15, 2006, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
Well, the wind played nice and after a long day of work I met Greg and Paul and Paul up on the slope and the Thorn eventually got enough wind under it's wings and flew. Not as 'big' as lands end, but fun either way.

I think I no longer have 'fear loading' on my Thorn. No nerves at all. And almost nailed a perfect landing... had it been grass it would have been, but it bounced on the dirt a few feet from the lip and the wind just flipped it upside down right there.

Great fun, but I want another epic lands end day like last year to really tear it up.

Paul
Sep 16, 2006, 08:24 PM
Suspended Account
It seems that today was 'The Day to Fly'. I didn't head out to glaicer (for several reasons), but I ended up heading up flattop with Rich and Joe, and the
lift was huge. Threw the Bee out and landed soon after realizing it was too good to not throw the Thorn out.

So I got it ready, we headed out, Joe gave it a toss, it never sank more than 2 or 3 feet, it just jumped on step and rocked.

I flew it around, some great high speed passes and in general was loving it, then I thought it was time to land. For those that were at the last WCSC, I was flying on that west point were we did a lot of combat. Knowing that, you'll know there's not much room there. So I'd pull it up and let it run, then look around and work out a landing solution. I figured if I went around the tower to the right I could get it low and bring it in on that road between the two towers.

I didn't stop to think I was getting occasional glitches on my uplines when I was near the tower, of course.

So I let her rip by the tower and started to pull it around and it started glitching all over, heading away, I got enough control to get it turned, but not all the way, it was heading to the backside, and fast. Once the tower was between me and the Thorn, I had nothing, it was going down the backside, inverted, accellerating, it had to be near 100.

It was found in a gully, in pieces. I thought I got all of it, but I'm missing some of the nose pieces.

But I'm going to rebuild it... I'll start a thread.
Sep 16, 2006, 11:42 PM
Arbo, sorry to hear about the Thorn. I'll look forward to the rebuild thread. After seeing the Thorn the other day I was getting that feeling... I must purchase one.

-paul
Sep 17, 2006, 12:44 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by POB427
I must purchase one.
Indeed, you must.

Sep 17, 2006, 03:27 PM
Well I headed out to Muffler Hill to try out the Alula today. It seems crazy that yesterday the wind was epic and today 3-5 mph.

Anyway the Alula was perfect today. I was able to fly for a few hours on no wind at all. Like Greg said lot's of throw and catch, but still very fun. Every so often the wind would pick up and the Alula screamed.

I brought the Boomerang just in case the wind picked up, but no go. Took a picture of the planes. Still working on fly the plane and take a pitcure idea. So this was the only one that worked. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Sep 18, 2006, 02:02 AM
Wait a minute! I flew at Muffler Hill today! Just before sunset on my ride home from Fruita, so I missed you. Wind was quite nice for that little hill. I could get the Bee to rip pretty well by flying the contour right over the lip. For some reason I could not find the DS groove, and did a fair amount of walking because of it.

Seemed to be calm back there, but the shear layer was really soft or something. Or I just need more practice.

Hey POB! We should fly at the same time sometime!

--Greg
p.s. If you can fly a twitchy little Alula and take pics at the same time, my hat's off to you...
Sep 22, 2006, 05:00 PM
Muck, muck, muck, rain, and muck. That's all we've had around here. I tried to throw the Alula in the street today, but missed the catch and landed it in in the MUCK!.

I should be building, but I'm not.

Anyone getting any flying in?

--Greg
Sep 22, 2006, 05:24 PM
My dog broke the boom on my HLG--in the garage!! That just doesn't seem fair. I built it, I should get to break it. Guess it's good weather for fixin', anyway. It's been snowing here all day....
Sep 22, 2006, 05:49 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, we got hail, then rain, then snow, now back to rain.

Sucks.