Sep 12, 2006, 04:25 PM
dirty machinist
Thread OP
New Product

New Dumas U.S.S. Whitehall

Anyone see it on their site? It looks pretty neat....I can't wait until it is in stock. Small and affordable! Also sould be a lot of fun to build, since the newer Dumas kits seem to be very good quality!

(from the dumas site)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2006, 04:51 PM
Mmm, tugs...
?? Appears to be available now.
Smallish model at 23", should weigh about 2 lbs (less than a Lindberg Fletcher!).
See images of Whitehall and others of the PCE(R)-848 class at http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/02idx.htm

PM
Sep 12, 2006, 06:31 PM
I agree, Pat, it does seem smallish. I feel that a larger model with room for more R/C functions would appeal to a greater number of boat modelers - and I believe that should be the intent behind a new model - wider appeal, more sales.
I'm not sure who the people at Dumas saw as their market for a model this size.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Bill
Last edited by jeepers1940; Sep 12, 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Sep 12, 2006, 07:14 PM
Mmm, tugs...
They probably got an earful from modelers who want something to go with their 1:96 capital ships... 1:96 makes for a big battleship, but tiny DD's and service craft.
Scale Shipyard handles this by offering many of their "small" craft in 1:96 AND 1:48.

PM
Sep 12, 2006, 08:25 PM
Yep, that makes sense.
Sep 12, 2006, 10:13 PM
KC8WPF
Regarding the small size, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Think of the WHITEHALL as an entry level r/c kit - designed to get some more beginners into the hobby. It won't take a lot of detail to make it a good looking model at the lake or at a regatta. It's a basically a plastic kit, so those guys who slave away at 1:700 and 1:350 scale ships might try an r/c model now.

I've built two 205' WMEC's from Scale Shipyard fiberglass hullsand used some of Lee's resin fittings. I built the CGC CHEROKEE on the 1:96 th scale hull, and had some plans for it, like a rotating gun, sound, etc. The hull was just a little too small, and the electronics available at the time (1990) were just a little too large. I originally intended to sail CHEROKKE with a 4 channel radio, but size and displacement restriction caused me to use a 2 channel radio. About 1997 I bought the 1:48 th scale hull, which was made into CGC TAMAROA in 1999-2000. The larger hull means I could all the things I wanted to do on the CHEROKEE model and more - sound, lights, rotating gun and fire monitor, working fire pump, etc. The increase in scale (from 1:96th to 1:48th) requires about a three fold increase in details; for instance in 1:96th scale you can get away with painting the dogs and dogging lever on a watertight door - in 1:48th scale the dogging lever better have enough clearance for a sailors hand.

Rough price estimate for complete r/c of the model is $246 - $360.
USS WHITEHALL kit - $74.99 (as listed at Tower Hobbies)
Hardware kit #2369 - $40 (as listed at Dumas)
2-channel radio - $45 - $100 (depends on brand, # of servos, esc, etc)
ESC - $35 - $75
NiCd or NiMh - $11 - $20 each
Battery charger $40 - $60

Pat - I plan on bringing both TAMAROA and CHEROKEE to Baltimore next month.
Last edited by CG Bob; Sep 12, 2006 at 10:30 PM.
Sep 13, 2006, 05:46 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Dumas site suggests single screw; real thing has twin screws.

PM

p.s.- See ya there Bob!
Sep 13, 2006, 08:29 AM
You may also notice it's either a very early war version or they got it wrong.

The aft end has more freeboard then the model has. I think they changed this late in the war to many of the later ships. But if you're going to call it the "Whitehall" you may have to correct it depending on which version you want to build. IMHO
Sep 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
Sorry about the red X, just check the web site mentioned above and you'll see what I'm talking about!
Sep 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
I put my order in from Tower for the Whitehall and running gear a couple weeks ago, it is still on backorder. Should be out at end of this month. The running gear set is $33.99 at Tower.
Steve
Sep 14, 2006, 06:36 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
CG Bob said:

"Regarding the small size, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Think of the WHITEHALL as an entry level r/c kit - designed to get some more beginners into the hobby. It won't take a lot of detail to make it a good looking model at the lake or at a regatta. It's a basically a plastic kit, so those guys who slave away at 1:700 and 1:350 scale ships might try an r/c model now."

I agree with Bob on the size, though I don't understand Dumas' marketing strategies as to who they're targeting.

Modelers don't necessarily go for a large sized model, but a small one is tough for the less experienced builders, who have a problem with utilizing the limited interior space. The guys who have been around the horn can do it with no trouble, but then, they know pretty much what's available in hardware, and what they can use to do the job.

Guess we'll have to sit back and see how this new kit will be received---.
Dec 06, 2006, 11:00 AM
I have been flying RC planes for a short while now. I was looking at Towers Hobbies web site and stumbled across the Whitehall RC boat. I have always had a like for anything WWII including submarines and war boats like destroyers, etc. I thought to myself that this boat looked neat and how hard could it be to put together a boat? Looking at the picture it looked like simply building a plastic model with a motor, radio, etc. Simple right? WRONG !

I must apologize to all RC boat guys. I could not stop laughing at what came in the box. Outside of the molded hull and assorted other bits, it looked like someone went through the scratch build section of the LHS and stuck a little bit of this, and a little bit of that in the box. You mean to tell me you need to make a depth charge rack out of a dowel and balsa wood?! And to beat all it did not come with any of the fun bits like the guns and other details. I had to get those off of eBay for almost as much as I paid for the kit itself. Dont tell me you guys make your own 40mm twin gun mounts.

In all seriousness, I am sure I will have a ton of questions about this kit. Does anyone know of anybody that has done a review of the kit with possible step by step build advice? I am sure with this being my first boat, it will not look pretty.

When I ordered the boat, I ordered all of the running accessories listed by Towers Hobbies. Looking at them, I am not sure about one thing in particular. It shows a 4.8V Panasonic flat battery (which I backordered). Is this supposed to be the battery that runs the motor? I also ordered the Dumas speed controller it recommended. Was that a mistake? It is not an electronic controller.

I would be very greatful for any advise or information on this boat.
Dec 06, 2006, 11:23 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Boats are a whole 'nother world from planes. Even the plane 'box of sticks' kits tend to be more advanced than some of the boat kits. I was looking at some and it was almost a block of balsa and a photo with the instructions "make the block look like this..." So I totally understand on the depth charge situation.

I've noticed they are getting better and better at the kits though, however the cost is much higher as the market seems to be smaller and the parts more difficult to fabricate.

Personally, at the size of the Whitehall model, I would just buy the Plastic Revell kit equivalent and make it RC. It would probably be a faster build than the Dumas kit. Done right, it would probably look better as well. However, the done right is the hard part with plastic kits as they are harder to balance, seal and get access to the RC bits so the build may be quicker but it takes a more experienced hand to make it look and work right as RC. Therefore, it's a trade off either way.

If you started a build thread on the boat, you'll probably get more 'help' from the people here on the forum than you could possibly imagine. Just take a gander at the DSV Seawell thread for an example of the massive amount of 'help' you'd get- whether you liked it or not! LOL!
Dec 06, 2006, 12:42 PM
Irregular... need..fiber!
Remember though, that a boat of this size will get swamped in choppy water, just like the Lindberg Fletcher. it must be run in calm water and in little wind. I personally wish they had built it a bit bigger. I like patrol craft, but I just want them in 1/48 or bigger!!!
Dec 06, 2006, 03:50 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
I would approach a model like this assuming it was going to get water inside it. I'd seal it up as best as possible, but I'd still have flotation blocks and perhaps a small bilge pump installed, it would add to the realism if your pump dumped it out the standard bilge ports...

Quick Reply